www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Vinyl wrap  (Read 4878 times)

Offline DesertKZ

• House Smells Like Gas.....
Re: Vinyl wrap
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2013, 17:48:42 »
I've always used water, even with 3m stuff.  Hmm... don't know why they'd say that.  Those window tint installation kits they sell at autozone or o'reilly's work good for applying vinyl.
'79 CX500C Resto
'75 GT750 Smoker
'08 ZX14

Offline Slantyface

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2013, 18:35:21 »
Hey thanks man. I'll have to check out those kits. Sorry for hijacking the thread btw...lol

Offline JMar

• Be good or be good at it.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2013, 20:37:44 »
No problem. I have wrapped my turn tables with the carbon fiber 3m vinyl to customize them and i was also told not to use water its not a window tint. Clean the surface with rubbing alcohol then apply the vinyl in small sections working out the wrinkles with a heat gun pulling in different directions for curved surfaces. I use a hair drier but the turn tables were flat so it laid real easy. The material is easy to work with once you heat it up just takes time to smooth out the wrinkles. I decided on the brush metal blue would look kinda unique on an old Sl.
J*Mar

Offline Slantyface

« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2013, 13:03:52 »
Oh no doubt. The blue will look nice for sure. I'm always a fan of a nice, glassy finish paint job, but I think the wrap will get me through the fall so that I can paint this winter. I've been so stoked to ride I'm about to take my 550 out with primer and bondo...

Offline Ichiban Moto

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Bad Ass Cafe' Style
    • Ichiban Moto on Youtube !
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2013, 00:30:31 »
This seems like a  good option. I'll keep an eye on the topic and if it goes well for you, I might try this on my gas tank  :D

Offline Slantyface

« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2013, 01:27:09 »
Update: As it turns out,  it's very difficult to lay this stuff on rounded surfaces (at least for me)...all I've managed to do successfully is waste vinyl...lol

Offline Beaner242

« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2013, 11:37:45 »
pictures? I was thinking of doing a carbon fiber. maybe i will the the sign company do it so i cant waste it LOL
1982 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD Chopper

Offline Slantyface

« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2013, 13:03:37 »
pictures? I was thinking of doing a carbon fiber. maybe i will the the sign company do it so i cant waste it LOL

Here's a picture of the one piece I managed to not screw up. I don't know how else to say it other than that this stuff really mimics metal in a convincing way. At least to the mostly untrained eye...or at least my eyes...

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2013, 13:30:02 »
There is/was an AMA pro team that used to wrap their tanks and fairings and seats. I have no idea if they are still around, but they were Safety First and back in the mid 200s, they had a team based out of Chicago and all their bodywork was vinyl wrapped for a couple of seasons.

So it can be done, but I have no idea how they did it or who supplied the wrap.  When I googled them, all I got was their Black and White scheme and no shots of the wrap turned up yet.  I think that Jordan/National Guard team also uses wrap.  Theirs is from Designstar3 according to http://23race.com/superbike.html

The web site http://www.designstar3.com/services/large-format-printing/ doesn't tell you much but might be a start for your search.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2013, 13:34:55 by teazer »

Offline JMar

• Be good or be good at it.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2013, 22:03:45 »
Well haven't got any where on the bike yet after getting a few different color samples  pieces of vinyl i
 decided on a color. I also been looking into plasti dip the anthracite metallic gray just up in the air on the project.
J*Mar