www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 72 CL350 - Cafe Project 13 - Luck is not a factor for this noob  (Read 3809 times)

Offline NJ Cam

Re: 72 CL350 - Cafe Project 13 - Luck is not a factor for this noob
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2013, 21:22:15 »
Little update.

No Spark out of the left side. Right lights up.
Flipped the plugs to ensure it wasn't the issue...both plugs light on the right side.

Offline AlphaDogCustoms

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2013, 07:00:55 »
So, the engine does turn over?
You may be giving us ambiguous and confusing info. When you say, "engine doesn't turn over," we interpret that as seized engine that does not rotate. If by "doesn't turn over," you mean it isn't firing, we can't follow you because you are describing it wrong.

Do you have a service manual? If not, get one. Plenty of free PDF downloads available. Don't just start tearing into things without a clue of what you are doing. Sure path to failure.
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs
I'm so old, I even know what ignition points are.

Offline mlinder

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2013, 09:40:57 »
Engine doesn't turn over = engine is stuck
Engine doesn't fire = engine turns over but doesn't run

Which one is it?

Offline NJ Cam

« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2013, 11:18:01 »
I agree "engine doesn't turn over" was probably the wrong term, or a premature assessment at this point.

When I kick start it I hear the unit turning & I can also push it with no issues...when I had her gassed it sounded like she almost started but then gas started coming out the bottom of the right Carb (under the float bowl).

I have yet to pull the side cover and try and turn the crankshaft....I can attempt that tonight.
 I will also be checking the left coil to determine the no spark issue on that side.   

Also yes I have a hard copy of the Clymer  that I have been using/studying.

Offline mlinder

« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2013, 11:34:20 »
OK, so engine turns, it just doesn't run.

That puts you much further ahead than your original post alluded to.

Offline NJ Cam

« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2013, 21:51:55 »
Little update, sorry I was a tad busy over the weekend.

Left coil gives me no reading when I try to kick start.
Right coil does which makes sense since its giving me a spark.

I back tracked the wires from the left coil to see if I saw an issue there, nothing was visibly disconnected but the lines were very brittle.

Offline AlaskaCL350

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2013, 15:04:24 »
Hey there,

I am pretty deep into a CB350 rebuild / cafe project as well. 

Things that I've come across in my journey that may help you:
- Respect the carbs.  Clean them, rebuild them, and give them love.  Confirm floats are set correctly and that jets are original specs.
- As stated earlier, three things that make the motor run: spark, air, and fuel.  Confirm these three systems are / are not working before buying a ton of parts.
- Coils are fairly reliable, but depending on what type you have "replacing the wires" may not be possible. (I may be incorrect on this... but I have a type that seems to be hard wired into the coils)
- These bikes love a well charged battery to ensure a good spark
- Go through your wiring harness and confirm that you have excellent grounding through out the system.  This can solve a lot of electrical gremlins
- There are a ton of guides available through this site to do just about EVERYTHING on this bike from electrical troubleshooting to carb sync'ing.  Do your research, read a lot, and prevent hours of frustration.

A lot of good information is available on this thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=49679.0
Give it a good read and it'll get you started on a few places to check.

I'll be subscribing and hopefully will be able to help throughout.

-T

Offline NJ Cam

« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2013, 13:17:53 »
Update & some pics tomorrow. Been busy moving my GF in.... so garage time has been limited, but studying and reading has not stopped  ::)

New Coils, Plugs, Wire, & Condenser are here.

I will be installing/ re-wiring and adjusting points and timing tomorrow, spent all my garage time this past week getting the generator and oil covers off  :-[ what a pain...as well as some tank clean up.

Also per many suggestions I will using a real battery(instead of my jumper)...I have noticed that the spark I did get previously was not that great (light orange). 

Offline NJ Cam

« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2013, 12:57:29 »
Update. After a break in the build I got her started and idling last night....if only for a few seconds  ;D
2 Lil vids attached

Found a small leak in the fuel tank behind the Honda symbol  so that's next on my list to fix...you can see the plastic cup catching the leak in the vid.

Question for you experts, when I turn the petcock to "reserve" only one side seems to flow fuel vs full "open" with a full tank both sides flow....thoughts?

Also any other suggestions are welcome especially based on what you heard/saw in the vid.

Thanks
Cam

Offline NJ Cam

« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2013, 16:52:26 »
Following up with a vid of the petcock issue...only flowing from one side.
Will try taking it apart and looking for clogs tonight.