www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: '86 Interceptor 2 smoke project  (Read 44198 times)

Offline interceptor

Re: '86 Interceptor 2 smoke project
« Reply #290 on: May 26, 2017, 23:35:06 »
PJ, that makes sense.  I`ll have to look at it on Monday, but that sounds about right.  Thanks for the info  :) 
I`m really happy I got the throttle and clutch cables done.  I can`t believe I actually did it myself.  It`s probably so simple for most, but I was really struggling on getting it to actually work. With these two things done, I can now move onto the wiring.  Right now its getting the dirtbike wiring. Later, it`ll be wired for lights and blinkers, etc.
 I have an exhaust system I am putting together. But ultimately, I need something built to maxamize power.  If by some miracle this system works, I will use it, but I`m nit expecting the moon here. I`ll post a picture when it`s all welded up and installed.
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline interceptor

« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2017, 15:29:56 »
I found all the pieces to put my tank back together today.  So with that done, its one step closer to running. I welded the last piece of the pipe on today and need to make some mounting brackets.  Here`s a picture of the exhaust i modified to work on the bike. It comes from a 400 cc dirtbikr, but I forget which one.
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #292 on: Jun 02, 2017, 09:44:43 »
Not criticizing (oh yes I am), just curious, how much design went into that expansion chamber?

There is some serious science to getting the most out of a 2-stroke engine by careful design of an expansion chamber.

But you already knew that, right?

Project is coming along nicely!
It ain't braggin' if ya done it.

Offline interceptor

« Reply #293 on: Jun 02, 2017, 11:58:50 »
Thanks grandpaul.   The exhaust is something that I will have to have somebody make in the future.  As of right now, I just want this thing to run and if the exhaust somewhat works, I can live with it for now.  But to optimize the power at a certain RPM range....  I can't do that.  I have absolutely no knowledge of building two stroke pipes.  In theory, I know how they work, but to actually build one.... nope :o  I am hoping that since the pipe is from a 400cc engine, that it may be close?  It was considered a race pipe when I bought it.  I have it mounted right now, and should be done soon.  I am looking forward to firing it up and hearing it run again  ;)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #294 on: Jun 02, 2017, 23:09:20 »
In my experience, a 250 pipe on a 400 gives a lot more power because the bigger motor is normally tuned for a wider spread and has more torque so can afford to 'lose' a little top end. (the porting needs radical modification to get the same 'hit' as a 250 but then you have a load more 'go' as well) It can make bike very 'exciting' to ride when it comes 'on the pipe' but also great fun  ;)
 My street-legal DT400MX would easily out accelerate a 'full race' Kawasaki KX420, even though I had battery, lights and much heavier parts plus stock carb. It would rev much much higher which wore out parts faster though (max power around 8k instead of 5k)
 That pipe doesn't have much 'shape', probably designed for max power spread instead of max power?

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 23:29:49 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline interceptor

« Reply #295 on: Jun 03, 2017, 08:01:07 »
Now you tell me ::)   When I had my RM250, the FMF pipe on that was huge.  Probably like 6" diameter in the widest spot.  This is maybe 4 inches?  It should be a little tamer than that FMF pipe   ;)   That bike was crazy fast!!

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #296 on: Jun 03, 2017, 11:34:22 »
As of right now, I just want this thing to run and if the exhaust somewhat works, I can live with it for now.

No worries, I know EXACTLY the feeling!
It ain't braggin' if ya done it.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #297 on: Jun 03, 2017, 15:05:14 »
Now you tell me ::)   When I had my RM250, the FMF pipe on that was huge.  Probably like 6" diameter in the widest spot.  This is maybe 4 inches?  It should be a little tamer than that FMF pipe   ;)   That bike was crazy fast!!

Sorry, hadn't thought about my 400 for years, even after reading through thread I didn't think about the mods I made until last night for some reason?
The YZ400 already has a larger carb and more 'radical' porting than a DT so a 'fatter' pipe should really wake up a 'street' version. I would think you'll have to go down a few sizes on main jet?
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2017, 15:15:46 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline interceptor

« Reply #298 on: Jun 03, 2017, 16:00:35 »
Ok, thanks. Thats good to know  :)