www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: First build ever  (Read 10453 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: First build ever
« Reply #110 on: Jul 25, 2017, 23:34:41 »
That motor is very under-stressed and over engineered. It never developed anywhere close to full potential. I would bump it to 500cc with later 500 twin parts  ;)
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline onefromexile

« Reply #111 on: Jul 26, 2017, 14:56:31 »
That motor is very under-stressed and over engineered. It never developed anywhere close to full potential. I would bump it to 500cc with later 500 twin parts  ;)
Ohh do tell all
Turns out it's an 80' gs450 frame 80'  gs450 engine too
Right now I cleaned up the wires they were melted together
Po was trying to run a single dual output coil wondering why wouldn't run and tried to silicone the bad intake boot
Definitely a lot of hacked work but I pulled it all off and went to simplifying
In needs one carb boot and fork seals few things but I can run it and use it while I build my 378
I'd like to eventually do a tracker brat
Versatile lil beast

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline onefromexile

« Reply #112 on: Jul 27, 2017, 15:16:59 »
Ohh do tell all
Turns out it's an 80' gs450 frame 80'  gs450 engine too
Right now I cleaned up the wires they were melted together
Po was trying to run a single dual output coil wondering why wouldn't run and tried to silicone the bad intake boot
Definitely a lot of hacked work but I pulled it all off and went to simplifying
In needs one carb boot and fork seals few things but I can run it and use it while I build my 378
I'd like to eventually do a tracker brat
Versatile lil beast

Let me say further on the coil
I don't think it can be used on this bike because it has no points condenser
However I have seen a single dual output coil used on honda twin
So I'm a lil confused but
Will look into it further
I'm pretty sure I can use old singles on the gs

Offline crazypj

« Reply #113 on: Jul 28, 2017, 21:41:10 »
It all depends on crank configuration. A 180 crank needs two coils but 360 crank can use a dual lead coil. Even then, two coils is actually better though
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline onefromexile

« Reply #114 on: Jul 29, 2017, 09:57:11 »
It all depends on crank configuration. A 180 crank needs two coils but 360 crank can use a dual lead coil. Even then, two coils is actually better though
Back to the oiling
And my original build

What do you think about modifying a starter delete plug and fitting and bending a small pickup tube to sump oil
 Through external cooler /filter to head While engine is on side stand or high rpm
I could even have on demand power before starting to avoid dry starts
This system will be totally independant from original oil /filter system
I'll be drawing low amps constant
And it will be sumping  from left side of lower end
That way I'm not taking from the oil pick up and slinger
I'd use 1/8" inch copper lines fittings
To help with cooling further
The pump has its own intergrated controller and small enough to mount inside starter case shell and run lines out maybe easier to use starter nose
I have to show you the drawings
But it's by far the least power draw and smallest compact efficient system I've been able to come up with

Offline crazypj

« Reply #115 on: Jul 29, 2017, 21:08:02 »
I was going to do something very similar. Drill a pick up hole just below where the baffle plate rod sits so it's higher than the sump pick up. That way the electric pump will never be able to drain sump (although oil in head will get to mains and big ends with back-flow/drain

Offline onefromexile

« Reply #116 on: Jul 29, 2017, 21:39:56 »
I was going to do something very similar. Drill a pick up hole just below where the baffle plate rod sits so it's higher than the sump pick up. That way the electric pump will never be able to drain sump (although oil in head will get to mains and big ends with back-flow/drain
That's what I was wondering
If it's not drawing away from oil pick up
And has its own cooler / filter and your adding oil with the volume of filter and cooler calculated
Really it's just to have no  dry starts but also cooling good oil and filtering it should help and keeping the baths full
It's more or less an independent line bringing oil to the head gravity will bring it back down

Offline crazypj

« Reply #117 on: Jul 30, 2017, 14:48:41 »
Yep, the problem 30+ yrs ago, there were not the choices available for miniature oil pumps or high efficiency electric motors. I looked at the filtration system as well, you cannot get better than centrifugal, any filter medium will always allow some particulate through.
A centrifuge forces any heavy particles to outside of filter bowl (OK, osmosis is a different matter but we are not trying to remove various elements from oil, just 'bits')
 I have an oil filter article saved somewhere (found it a couple of days ago then 'lost' it again  ::) )
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2017, 14:56:55 by crazypj »

Offline onefromexile

« Reply #118 on: Jul 30, 2017, 16:16:30 »
Yep, the problem 30+ yrs ago, there were not the choices available for miniature oil pumps or high efficiency electric motors. I looked at the filtration system as well, you cannot get better than centrifugal, any filter medium will always allow some particulate through.
A centrifuge forces any heavy particles to outside of filter bowl (OK, osmosis is a different matter but we are not trying to remove various elements from oil, just 'bits')
 I have an oil filter article saved somewhere (found it a couple of days ago then 'lost' it again  ::) )
That brings you back to the original system though
How dirty do you think the oil would be ??
If not as clean as oil coming from centrifugal then cooling oil is the only think rationally to make it better
For that I'm pretty sure you could tap and drill the right side case where there seems to be plugs all ready
And just run to cooler
And back to case

Offline crazypj

« Reply #119 on: Jul 30, 2017, 16:47:47 »
Just posted some new 'Public Information Service' with oil filter pdf. and Honda Common Service manual pdf, you may wa't to read first and download second.
As for the clutch cover mod, that's what people are now doing.
If Photobucket sees sense and gives everyone their pictures back you'll find the info