www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Paint vs powdercoat....again  (Read 2220 times)

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Paint vs powdercoat....again
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2016, 11:49:40 »
Frig off Randy. No more hamburgers for you.

Powder all the way.

A mans gotta eat Ricky
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline o1marc

• Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2016, 11:49:52 »
Now we are running into the issue that has given powder coating motorcycle parts a bad name. There is a huge difference between commercial powder coating and the custom show powder coating process. The commercial production outfits don't have to usually put out a finish that needs to last 10 years. Their warranty is usually only a year and that is usually dealt with through the retailer of the product. They don't use the usual steps required in prepping a part for it to be long lasting. Usually a chemical etch of some sort is used instead of media blasting. The chemical etch is extremely inferior in giving the part a text suitable enough for the power to adhere to for a long period of time. This is what you get when you hear people say they could get their finger nail under the powder and start flaking it off. The powders the commercial outfits use sometimes inferior to whats available for the custom market.
In your case, as I mentioned, if it's cheaper, it probably means steps in the prep will be left out. I would, if I were you , find someone to blast your frame before taking it to the coater. Find bolts to plug all your holes that need to be or you will be chasing every hole with a tap. Mask off every exposed thread. And DON"T HANDLE THE PARTS WITH BARE HUMAN HANDS after blasting them. I guarantee 90% of the bad stories you hear about powder coating are parts done by commercial outfits.

Offline lostboy

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2016, 11:51:23 »

Offline randy lahey

« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2016, 00:49:40 »
Well, I'm not building a custom show bike, and I'm trying to do as much work as I can myself so I can say I actually built the thing rather than just assembled it  :).  I have a sand blaster and will be blasting all the parts myself.  I had them coat my ninja frame a few years ago that I just chemical stripped the paint off and it's holding up just fine.  At the time I called around a few places and the price for just a frame and subframe was over $300 (not sure if that included blasting). So I'm sure this place isn't up to the same level as a more professional custom shop, but from what I've had done there, and for the price, it suits me. In the end, it will still be a better finish than anything I could ever paint.  More money saved = more money for cheeseburgers! ;D

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2016, 10:57:59 »
All you need.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2016, 13:38:53 »
I love that stuff. Used it on nearly everything on the XL. and you can brush it on pretty easily for touch up spots.

VHT epoxy paint works super well for adhering to plastic.

Budget coatings for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Deviant1

« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2016, 18:29:56 »
My bike is currently rocking a 5 year old appliance epoxy paint job. The frame has been wearing it for 7 years. Proper prep is your friend.

'That's the VJMC. They don't like us... because we cut shit up." -Tim @ Barber 2010

Offline randy lahey

« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2016, 08:36:27 »
I actually do plan on using that on things I can't powder coat.  What prep work is necessary?

Offline Deviant1

Paint vs powdercoat....again
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2016, 10:17:06 »
Same as anything; sand, clean (tack cloth, denatured alcohol with lint free cloth), don't touch, paint. The appliance epoxy takes a long time to gas out so leave it to dry a full 24 hours... Maybe more depending on temp and humidity.

« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2016, 10:18:44 by Deviant1 »
'That's the VJMC. They don't like us... because we cut shit up." -Tim @ Barber 2010

Offline randy lahey

« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2016, 11:42:57 »
Primer?