www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 Touring Turd  (Read 3623 times)

Offline interceptor

1984 Yamaha FJ1100 Touring Turd
« on: Apr 20, 2017, 19:24:21 »
Since I`m a gluten for punishment, I have decided to take on the 1983 FJ1100 and show it who`s boss.    Plans are to first get it back together and running. Everything will be in its stock location, using all stock parts (because I suck at fabricating, plus the bike looks cool).  The only thing I won`t use is the front fairing.  It really has an odd frame, so I`ll have to hide the front a little, but I have some things in mind.  I cleaned up the tank and emptied the 5 year old swamp gas out of there, and cleaned the petcock. Filter looked good, and the tank itself is spotless on the inside. No dents, and paint shined up nice. Does have the key that fits the ignition, tank and seat lock.  I also took a bowl off one of the carbs, and it was spotless. So I may be ahead of the game here!!  Pics to follow
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 20:21:19 by interceptor »
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline 540Nova

Re: FJ1100 Street Turd
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2017, 20:10:37 »
LOL, love the title! That bike could be bad-ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline interceptor

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2017, 22:51:06 »
Thanks ;D  The inspiration for the front:
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline 540Nova

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2017, 22:20:09 »
That's cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline interceptor

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2017, 22:28:28 »
Today I started piecing this thing back together. I can`t really decribe how rewarding it is for me to do this.  Almost all of the wiring is complete, footpegs, shifter and brake almost all hooked up right now.  I tried putting the carbs on, but dang!!!! I don`t know how I`ll get them in there.  I guess just keep trying.  I`m missing some bolts, so I think I`ll buy a `lot` of bolts on ebay.  Pretty excited to see if I can get this bike started.

Offline spotty

• Vmax...why,yes i think i will
    • spottys world of vmax (and great danes)
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2017, 22:39:38 »
try using a ratchet strap round the front of the engine and the back of the carbs, its worked for me. also lots of lube spray
short fast loud, three things punk rock and vmaxs have in common

south of the border, down melbourne way

Offline hillsy

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2017, 22:55:18 »
Hit the intake rubbers with a heat gun before you try and mount the carbs. It makes things a whole lot easier.

Offline interceptor

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2017, 05:45:16 »
Thanks guys.  I'll give them both a try  :D

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2017, 05:49:05 »
A hairdryer/heatgun plus something to lube up the carbs and rubbers (I use WD40 or brakecleaner) and they should go in with ease!
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline interceptor

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2017, 05:59:39 »
A hairdryer/heatgun plus something to lube up the carbs and rubbers (I use WD40 or brakecleaner) and they should go in with ease!
I have access to a heat gun from work.  I'll give it a shot after work :D  Thanks!