www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 Touring Turd  (Read 3314 times)

Offline interceptor

Re: FJ1100 Street Turd
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 07:12:20 »
Thanks for that, I will try it.  :)
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline interceptor

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 16:37:31 »
So, has anyone installed one of these choke cables? Inparticular, how it connects to the choke control that you twist on the left handle bar. 
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline interceptor

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 14:22:01 »
I figured out the choke cable control  ;D  The new cable I made works great!  I'm glad I took my time installing it, because there was about three things I was doing in the wrong sequence to install this thing.  I also figured out that the throttle cables are sticking, so I will probably take hillsy's advice and make some throttle cables and bypass the throttle cable box.  On top of that, I ripped all the old fabric off the seat, and am thinking of installing a new piece my self.  Wish me luck :D

Offline hillsy

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 23:27:43 »
Are you buying a new seat cover or making one up? They just staple on so that part isn't too hard  ::)

Offline interceptor

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 05:42:35 »
hillsy, I went to a local fabric store last night and bought a remnant piece of UV protected black vinyl.  Good thing is is that it was a remnant piece, so half off.  I also bought some foam adhesive.  I think I have enough fabric to do both this seat, and my ATV seat  8)
On a side note, I took a cable out of the equation in the twist throttle, and now it just pulls. I also greased the inside of the throttle cable box - seems to work just fine now.  I also spent some time this morning working on the front cowl.  I bench tested the light and installed that and the gauge cluster into the cowl.  All in all, it's going back together pretty well.  I'd like to take the valve cover off and check the backlash, but looking into the 1200, they use shims and a special tool.  I need to verify if that's how the 1100 is.  If it is, I may need to forgo that, or have a shop do it. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:49:57 by interceptor »

Offline hillsy

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 09:48:16 »
1100 and 1200 motors are the same - just a different bore size.

You can still check the clearances without having to have special tools. You might be lucky and not have to change any shims anyway.

Be careful doing up the cam cover bolts - easily stripped if you try and overtighten them.

Offline interceptor

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 11:08:39 »
Ok, good to know, thanks :) 

Offline interceptor

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 12:06:22 »
All done with the seat.  I`m happy with it  :)

Offline hillsy

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 21:32:10 »
Nice work!

Offline interceptor

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 05:05:28 »
Thanks  ;)  I am now looking on ebay for a pivot bolt for the shifter and a chain guard .  Unfortunately, the PO didn't include these items with the bike  :o