www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Can I handle an engine rebuild?  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Rosie

Can I handle an engine rebuild?
« on: Apr 22, 2017, 13:19:26 »
Hey there, my husband and I are a couple of wrench turners who can change brakes, cables, etc. but my 1976 CB360T is burning a lot of oil and we think it's a bad o-ring.
Are a couple of amateurs ready to disassemble a crusty old engine or is it more than likely going to end up a loss?
We're smart but we've never worked on an engine. Just wanted to hear from the group about how successful you've been with working on old engines.

Offline julian.allard66

Re: Can I handle an engine rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2017, 13:30:49 »
Go for it, 70s Hondas are fairly simple, get a Honda manual and check spares availability before you start pulling it apart. If it's burning a lot of oil it probably needs a rebore, new pistons and rings, probably valve stem seals as well, find out the cost of these before you start, as the parts may be more than you want to spend on the bike, remember to factor in the cost of gaskets and it's almost guaranteed to need new engine mounting rubbers.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2017, 14:11:21 »
Buy a junk old lawnmower for $20 on Craigslist and rebuild that. Learn the basics.

One of the real hold ups can be tools. Do you already own all the needed tools to do a job like this? If not, do you have the money to buy them?

It certainly CAN be done. Just be prepared.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2017, 14:53:55 »
The 360 is a great bike to work on as it's fairly simple. You will definitely want a manual and check prices of parts first. Some of the more special tools (valve spring compressor, cylinder hone, impact driver) can be rented for free at AdvanceAuto, AutoZone, O'riley.

Offline Keitth43

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 00:06:44 »

Hey there, my husband and I are a couple of wrench turners who can change brakes, cables, etc. but my 1976 CB360T is burning a lot of oil and we think it's a bad o-ring.
Are a couple of amateurs ready to disassemble a crusty old engine or is it more than likely going to end up a loss?
We're smart but we've never worked on an engine. Just wanted to hear from the group about how successful you've been with working on old engines.

Yes you can do it , I have done it 3 times on same 360t engine ,even split the 2 halves crankcase   unneccessary      runs now  with still low compression on one side      lack of finding a local guy to hone cylinders up 25 thou.        Timing chain like new   ,  apart from left cylinder bore  slightly worn  rest of engine  good condition    ,grind valve seats in  easy
     Keep buying plenty of metric tools
     Good luck Keith

Sent from my SM-T800 using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 00:59:35 »
Absolutely.  Take your time and be methodical.  Use a Factory Service manual. You don't need many expensive tools.  Valve spring compressors are available on ebay.  Oil slinger socket is cheap.  To get the alternator rotor off you can use the rear axle.

Burning oil could be a bunch of things and most likely a piston ring or bad valve oil seals.

Or it could just be too much oil in the transmission/motor.  It's a simple motor, but there are things you can screw up, so take your time and if you run into a problem, do not reach for a BFH until told specifically where to apply it.

I would start with a compression test.  Borrow a decent tester from Advanced or OReilly.  DO not buy one form HF or a cheap ebay one. They lie. 

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:16:15 »
Yep just like the guys say, buy or DL the shop manual and build the parts list before you start, YouTube is a good place to learn about the timing chain tensioner... you will need to replace any wear parts on that system for sure. Gasket sets are not all created equal I like this Athena kit: not sure it comes with intake valve seals but you need those as well.

Someone here who recently took one down might help with a outside of the box tool list but most likely with just a top end refresh and service you'll not need much more than the flywheel puller and oil slinger socket an inch lb. torque wrench and some beer.

As the add says... Just Do It!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline Rider52

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 16:58:44 »
You can do it. Keep everything including your work area super clean.  Take pictures before and after disassembly.  I use Ziploc bags to hold small parts and hardware, larger containers for major assemblies.
AMA, VJMC, AMCA

Projects
74 Yamaha TX650
3 Harleys in constant state of sorrow and a Buell
1978 Yamaha Chappy 80 burning up the highway
Cut my motor in half Sportster to Shortster
Rodekilt Revitalization 1977 Honda CB750 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=76749.new#new

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 17:44:41 »
360s are the easiest four stroke engine I've worked on.

+1 to what everyone else is saying.

This is the type of spring compessor you'll want: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252856591363

And this is the tool for the oil "filter": http://www.common-motor.com/honda-cb-oil-filter-tool?_vsrefdom=googlemerchant&ex=1ht096p-20htem6-olg8o&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo-XIBRCOycL7hsuI_NoBEiQAuS6HtBGa0QLuBld6U3mfu-697L0SEWwHYq_IZutjwJJc8bgaAvRW8P8HAQ

Torque wrench will be necessary for getting the head back on, but 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm  sockets should cover everything. Impact driver for the cases, probably.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline nismoman8899

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 22:53:44 »
Its pritty simple and straightforward.  Took my cl360 engine apart, cleaned and ready for assembly in total of 3 ish hrs.  hrs. With a basic set of spckets and a ratchet, oh and a runber malet to split the cases.