www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Kawasaki Z650 Seventies Special  (Read 775 times)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Kawasaki Z650 Seventies Special
« on: Apr 27, 2019, 17:59:05 »
I need another project like a hole in the head, but I was offered the basics (very basic) start of a project as part of a swap, and since it was an old Kawasaki inline 4, with a deep breath I took it on board. This will be my 2020 project, though parts may be bought and made in the meantime.

I have a pretty clear idea of what I want to build, those details will have to wait, but what I have is a 1978 Kawasaki Z650 frame, a Z1000 tank and various parts that may or may not end up on the finished bike.

If you've checked out the pic below already, you'll have noticed the frame isn't quite as it left the factory. Its been butchered like some poor animal.

There's a good reason for this butchery, as the frame needs to be widened by about an inch (25mm) to accommodate a GPz1100 motor. Well, I say Gpz1100, but I suspect when we've finished with it it'll be a bigger than 1100cc. It may even get a supercharger, not sure yet. It'll be having better suspension, but not USD forks. As for the wheels, 17inch 3 spoke wheels would be cheap and easy to find, but I prefer 18inch spoked wheels.. pity I don't have any. I'll need to find a suitable pair of hubs first, then I can build and true them myself.

Updates will be slow at first, as I have other bikes to finish, but I hope to have it on the road by the summer of 2020.. famous last words  :)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Kawasaki Z650 Seventies Special
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 19:01:13 »
The Z650 frame didn't have a swing arm, and even if it did, once the frame has been widened it wouldn't fit anyway. A different swingarm was needed. From our pile of junk.. er .. valuable old spares.. we found an old steel arm taken from a 90's Kawasaki ZXR750. But ZXR750's were monoshocked, while the Z650 is and will remain twin shocked. Oh and it was also at least 100mm too long. Not a promising start.

However, in the workshop I found a pair of 'spare' one off alloy wheel adjuster blocks.. which I soon snagged for the Zed project. Next I chopped the swing arm down to size by cutting off its original wheel adjusters, in preparation for fitting the new adjuster blocks. To do that will need a jig making to ensure the finished arm is straight and true when its all welded together. That may be a few weeks away, but then I don't want to spend too much time or money at the moment, as the Zed is supposed to be my 2020 project.  The mounting bracket for the mono shock will have to be cut off and new shock mounts made and welded on to take twin shocks too.

In the photo you can see that the new alloy adjuster blocks are far too wide for the swingarm, but that's ok, as the extra will be needed when we add an under brace to the arm. I could've jus gone out and bought something from Ebay that will fit easily, but where's the fun in that  :P

Online stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:37:22 »
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 09:57:32 »
Hope so. its not about the destination but the journey to get there as they say..  Looks like I'll be using a set of 73.5mm pistons as they are a bargain.. that will take the 1100 engine out to 1170cc. nothing too radical, but should make a good road engine.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:50 »
The bike now has a set of GPz cases which have already been bored out to take a big bore kit, though that wont be needed with the modest 1170cc pistons I plan to use. It also has a barrel, with a badly scored liner in one of the cylinders. Which shouldn't be a problem as the cylinders will need to be taken out by 1mm, which (fingers crossed) should remove the damage.

Placing the cases in the Z650 frame shows the front engine mounts are way off, not really a surprise. Rather than cutting off he original mounts and welding on new ones, I think it'll be easier just to cut off the lower frame rails completely and make new ones.

Boring out the cylinders will cost about £80, which will be the first money I'll have to spend so far, as everything else has been free or been a swap. No doubt by the time its finished, £80 will be a drop in the ocean. This is supposed to be next years project, or so I tell myself, but it hard to resist working on it now.

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 12:33:44 »
In like Flynn.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 12:48:47 »
Big Kawi love. 

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2019, 15:11:18 »
The one off billet wheels and front end from my old drag bike may be used on the Z650/1100, while parts for the engine are coming together. All is explained here..