www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Where do I start? (74' Engine Rebuild)  (Read 1484 times)

Offline echo

Re: Where do I start? (74' Engine Rebuild)
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2017, 00:01:25 »
Some other tools I have needed for my stuff in addition to the micrometers included:
-valve spring compressor
-feeler gauges
-piston ring compressor
-torque wrench

And I assume you have all new gaskets?

Offline jgmunz

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 22:53:35 »
Yeah if it wasn't clear before hand, I purchased the bike with the top end already split. He claimed it ran before he began work, but as i wasn't witness to that I've been playing with the idea of a full rebuild for a while. I checked the link for Dan's Course and it looks like just what i need. I'm in no rush to complete the build as I wont even be able to ride the bike for two years.(I'm still in high school) This is shaping up to be the project i dreamed of. My plan as of now is to send the course link to my build buddies, read it myself and decide afterwards whether or not i want to take on a full rebuild. I think it would eliminate any doubt on whether the previous owner did anything sketchy and give me more knowledge on the machine. Ill post some pictures at some point soon so everyone can kinda see what i see as a complete novice.

Offline echo

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:07:36 »
High school? Wow I would have given my left locknut for a 550 at 16. 

Don't know what you have done so far but I would start by identifying each loose part - the shop manual with diagrams will help.  Any that you can't ID, just post photos here and folks can help.

A critical step with a partially disassembled bike I think is finding what's missing.  Hopefully not much.  Again the diagrams in the manual are your map to this. 

As you disassemble things, use your impact driver to avoid stripping bolts.  And take photos at each step.  As I remove parts I  try to think about directionality - could this be accidentally put back in backwards?