www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Honda "l'arancio dolce" CB 750 Resto-Mod Project  (Read 6450 times)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
Re: Honda "l'arancio dolce" CB 750 Resto-Mod Project
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 18:20:03 »
Awesome you got the carbs sorted.  That is the biggest piece of hell working on these things.  What have you checked for spark?  If it still has stock ignition, don't overlook testing the resistor caps.  I've gotten these after sitting for years, and all the plug caps were bad.

Offline TranceMachineVienna

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 02:04:55 »
Yes irk.... Thank you again for your help... The carbs were a piece of work and took awhile I'm happy that for now they are sorted.
We had weak spark a few days ago with a half good Battery... Tried with a new good battery no spark.
How do you test the resistor caps you wrote about?
If you mean the spark plug caps we will be replacing these and the ignition cables... Tried cutting away a piece but it didn't really help.

One interesting thing I found too today when I drained the oil... There is no other part in there than the oil filter. No spring, no washer like in my Yamahas...is this normal? Will be checking in the diagram later.

Thanks

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:39:15 by TranceMachineVienna »

Online pidjones

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 07:41:19 »
Yes, the filter needs both the spring and washer they go over the bolt first with washer against the filter. The spark plug wires on these use a solid conducter wire with 5k ohm resistors inside each plug cap, and non-resistor plugs. The wires screw onto threaded (like course wood screw threads) posts on both the coils and caps to give good contact. The screw in the cap can be gripped with pliers and pulled out to permit cleaning the resistor ends and contacts, but the caps are still available (NGK) and fairly inexpensive. There are good step-by-step ignition troubleshooting instructions in the Honda FSM.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 07:51:48 »
There should be an O ring and spring for sure.  If this isn't a pure resto, you may want to consider getting the oil filter adapter so you can run a standard car type filter.  It makes life way easier.  You can get them with ports for adding and oil cooler too.

https://www.randakks.com/standard-oil-filter-conversion-kit-version-a-see-fitment-chart.html

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 10:26:31 »
Looks like theres something wrong...maybe the police changed out the oil before it was hibernated wrongly....No spring no washer like in the diagram.And no copper washer under the drain plug...I ll talk to the owner about the spin on conversion! Do you have pics of the converted part on your engine irk?

Sounds very reasonable!Irk do I find the one with the adapters for the oil cooler also on this website?

thank you!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:15:32 by TranceMachineVienna »

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 11:37:07 »

Sounds very reasonable!Irk do I find the one with the adapters for the oil cooler also on this website?

You can see it in this pic of the whole bike. 

I use the Wix filters because they're high quality and come with a check valve.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2019, 12:08:10 »
Looks very cool man!IŽll ask the customer what he wants...lets see!

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 09:33:54 »
For now we are keeping the stock oil filter system as it is...maybe a mod weŽll do later because the whole oil change is messy as hell!

Next up since the carbs look clean and ready is the spark.
This weekend IŽll be cleaning all plugs and contacts of the ingntion coils and cleaning the breaker points with some fine grit paper.
New spark plugs, spark cables and resistor caps will be mounted.

I also ordered new condensers and breaker points since the owner wants to keep the stock ignition and we will be having these as surplus.

Is there a method to measure the ignition coils and see if they are up to par?

thanks!

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 10:21:37 »

Is there a method to measure the ignition coils and see if they are up to par?

Set your multimeter to the lowest ohm setting (probably 200), touch leads against both wires to the coil.  It can be at the bullet connectors, or at the coil itself.  You should get 3 - 5 ohms.  Stock is 5 ohms.  Leave one wire in the connector, change the multimeter to 20k ohms, then put the other wire into the plug cap where the spark plug goes.  You should see more than 10k, and preferably around 14k.  If you get no reading, take the plug cap off and stick the lead into the plug wire and see if you get a number.  No number with the cap probably means the cap is bad.  You can test the caps for resistance by themselves, also.  They should be around 5k ohms, iirc.  When the go bad, they typically don't give a reading at all.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 11:25:48 »
Set your multimeter to the lowest ohm setting (probably 200), touch leads against both wires to the coil.  It can be at the bullet connectors, or at the coil itself.  You should get 3 - 5 ohms.  Stock is 5 ohms.  Leave one wire in the connector, change the multimeter to 20k ohms, then put the other wire into the plug cap where the spark plug goes.  You should see more than 10k, and preferably around 14k.  If you get no reading, take the plug cap off and stick the lead into the plug wire and see if you get a number.  No number with the cap probably means the cap is bad.  You can test the caps for resistance by themselves, also.  They should be around 5k ohms, iirc.  When the go bad, they typically don't give a reading at all.

Thank you Irk for your insight!
IŽll be doing these tests tomorrow evening!

The oil sump got me on the wrong foot.
When I took of the oil sump there were bits of gasket and some hard pieces which I first identified as a circlip.I stored the pieces on a baggy and wemt to bed (I admit I had a few beers).
The next day I took the pieces put them into alcohol to clean them  and suddenly I found out that the circlip come out to be a Oring... :D :D :D
The bike now gets an oil refill with a fresh filter (waiting for the missing parts that I wrote about earlier).
Hope to have here starting soon!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:29:01 by TranceMachineVienna »