www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Cb360 Reassembly Help  (Read 23997 times)

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
Re: Cb360 Reassembly Help
« Reply #200 on: Dec 12, 2018, 21:10:27 »
Hook it up just like you were attempting to jump the bike. Leave the bike battery connected and car turned off. Positive to positive and negative to negative.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Online cb360j

« Reply #201 on: Dec 13, 2018, 20:23:54 »
Hooked it up, no turn over. The solenoid only clicks once. Tried to bridge it with a screw driver and still nothing. Are the brushes just bad in the starter? Have no idea where to go from here.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2018, 20:37:06 by cb360j »

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #202 on: Dec 13, 2018, 20:57:05 »
That's my guess. If you can't get the starter motor to turn over with a car battery hooked up and bridging the solenoid, then it's down to one of three things:

1.) Bad starter motor wire from the solenoid to the starter motor
2.) Bad ground back to the battery
3.) Bad starter motor (and/or its internals)

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Online cb360j

« Reply #203 on: Dec 13, 2018, 21:32:59 »
Fortunately you gave me two wires from the starter to the solenoid. I’ll give it a shot with the other one when I get home. Wouldn’t I just be able to test continuity on the cable and that would rule that out?

I’ll clean the ground spot off even More just to make sure it’s not that. But if there is a bad ground, wouldn’t the lights not turn on? Cause they all do.

I’ll go ahead and order a starter rebuild kit just for good measure I suppose.
One thing I noticed when I was trying to do static timing, I couldn’t get the test light to come on. Is that indicative of anything

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #204 on: Dec 13, 2018, 23:06:22 »
Wouldn’t I just be able to test continuity on the cable and that would rule that out?

Unfortunately, no. Multimeters don't run enough current to show the "actual" resistance at operation. They can tell you if the cable is bad, but not if it's good.

Quote from: cb360j
I’ll clean the ground spot off even More just to make sure it’s not that. But if there is a bad ground, wouldn’t the lights not turn on? Cause they all do.

Same issue as the bad cable example above. Headlight pulls a lot less current, so it's less susceptible to resistance in the line.

Ohm's Law is Amps = Voltage / Resistance. Now things break down a little bit because a starter motor is an inductive load, but let's assume a steady 12V and your starter motor pulling 80A. The algebra tells us that resistance would be .15Ω. But if you have too much resistance in the line and you're actually at .25Ω then your starter motor is only getting 48A when it really wants 80A. A little resistance has a huge effect when your current requirements are high. Your headlight (in the stock form) is 35W (12V * 2.9A). So "ideal" resistance for that circuit would be 4.13Ω. What happens if we add .10Ω to that equation like we did with the starter motor? We get a draw of 2.83A, instead. A very small difference.

Quote from: cb360j
One thing I noticed when I was trying to do static timing, I couldn’t get the test light to come on. Is that indicative of anything

It would be related to not getting your spark plugs to fire, but not related to the starter motor not working.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Online cb360j

« Reply #205 on: Dec 14, 2018, 00:00:16 »
Fair point. My fluke isn’t even reading any resistance on the cable, with it on the high resolution setting lol

At least I made quick work of the engine removal tonight

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #206 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:38:55 »
Fortunately you gave me two wires from the starter to the solenoid. I’ll give it a shot with the other one when I get home. Wouldn’t I just be able to test continuity on the cable and that would rule that out?

I’ll go ahead and order a starter rebuild kit just for good measure I suppose.
You could do voltage drop at either end of cable, you could buy a $10.00 automotive Ammeter that goes to at least 60 amps (should be around 45 amps when cranking, probably full range for a second when it first bumps over)You should have bare metal connector on frame behind ignition coil bolt and another at rear engine mount where ground lead fits from battery. It's also a good idea to clean paint off crankcase top rear mounts plus frame inside where motor will be clamped. Original stock cases do not have bottom case painted and ythe front right lower mount has spring washers that cut through paint to provide good grounding (they are always rusty around one bolt hole through bottom)
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2018, 10:42:58 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Online cb360j

« Reply #207 on: Dec 18, 2018, 22:22:36 »
The FSM shows what order the kickstart shaft goes together but not how everything should be oriented.... it’s not ratcheting so what am I doing wrong?

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #208 on: Dec 19, 2018, 15:49:53 »
That wedge shaped piece should  have the plate pulling it back out of engagement. I haven't done one for a while but pretty sure there are punch marks on gear driver and shaft for alignment. You'll have to pull it aoart again to find them (it's not the 'dot' to alighn kick-start lever) Oh, I think the plate and spring are also reversed, it's too far away from 'wedge'
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 15:54:06 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Online cb360j

« Reply #209 on: Dec 21, 2018, 21:17:03 »
Would it make sense for the kickstart to be put together correctly but not ratcheting because it isnt connected to the gears?