www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: My CB100 Cafe Racer exhaust  (Read 1827 times)

Offline waldo101

My CB100 Cafe Racer exhaust
« on: May 10, 2018, 05:19:11 »
Hello everyone,  ;D

i am needing some help, I have almost finished my CB100 Cafe Racer build and i am thinking of changing out the exhaust from factory. I am keeping in mind that this is a small single cylinder engine and i am trying to see what my options are. I was thinking of cutting the end of the stock pipe off so it would be like a megaphone or putting a straight pipe set up on the bike. Would this increase the performance of the bike or am i wasting my time and being better off by keeping it stock?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:21:44 by waldo101 »

Offline WhyNot

• ~~~If it ain't raining, I'm riding~~{iii}?~~prost~
Re: My CB100 Cafe Racer exhaust
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:49:45 »
Can you post some pix of it.

I have a CB100 too, and like seeing others.
1975 CB750K5
1974 CB350F

Offline waldo101

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 06:59:18 »
This is my Cb100 almost finished. Sorry for the crappy photos, i am still waiting on parts. do you ride your CB100 a lot? i am wanting to use this as my daily ride but i am unsure of reliability being such an old bike
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:01:41 by waldo101 »

Offline WhyNot

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:32:14 »
Bike looks nice. Reliability will depend on your mechanical abilities, as too, did you rebuild it yourself or had it done.

Exhaust IMO should stay original, however, if you wanted to put a CL type exhaust on it, it will give it a little more sporty look.

Like the one in the pix, (not my bike)

I don't ride it, I'm still building on it actually.

Has a leaking carb, and the kicker shaft is stripped.

So an engine tear down is gonna be needed, to replace the shaft.

1975 CB750K5
1974 CB350F

Offline waldo101

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 10:11:13 »
I haven't rebuilt the engine just did the cover gaskets and the carb gaskets, seems to run okay, bike has left me stranded in the past but was due to electrical and i have fixed it up since then. Im not confident enough to tear into the engine myself unless i need too. i have no idea what miles this bike has as i didn't have a speedo when i first brought it. it does start on first kick and theres no knocking or unusual noises. but i do have that thought in the back of my head that its gonna leave me on the side of the road again.

Offline WhyNot

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 12:43:02 »
I've rebuilt this engine, actually just replaced stuff, had to put a new jug and head, cause the original ones was siege so that i had to break the piston in bits to take it apart.

bought a china carb for it cause the original was toast, i put it all back together, that's when the kicker crapped out. So i have it under cover in the storage shed til i get some gumption up to pull it out and work on it.

I think that if you keep her lubed and tuned you should be fine.

They can get a little finicky at times.
1975 CB750K5
1974 CB350F

Offline WhyNot

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 12:46:16 »
I do still need some stuff like a speedo, headlight, and fork ears to mount the headlight and turn signals.

Speedo mount I can make. tail light i can build as well., new tires, then maybe I can run her like I want.
1975 CB750K5
1974 CB350F

Offline coyote13

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 12:52:51 »
Waldo, you'd do well to combine your multiple posts into one cohesive/coherent post.  You'll likely get a lot more (and better) feedback that way. 

It looks like you decided to keep the exhaust stock, from what I've heard there isn't a lot you can do better than the original Honda factory equipment.  It looks like you're running the stock intake/filter as well, also a good thing.  Changing either the exhaust or intake can cause a bit of a headache with tuning, not to say it can't be done.

As far as your reliability concerns, I would suggest a compression test.  That will tell you plenty about the health of the engine.  Also, if you haven't already, pull the centrifugal oil filter and check for any sludge or debris.  If your compression and oil both look good, and everything is in spec per the factory service manual, that's about all the confidence you're gonna need.
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 21:49:08 »
From the pics I would you say you have a great little ride. As Coycote said if the oil is clean and good compression then ride it and enjoy. Worry about the break downs when and IF they happen. If ain't broke don't fix it 

Offline waldo101

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 02:19:35 »
thank you for all your replies, i put the bike back together today and cleaned the carbs. when i apple the throttle quickly it bogs down and starts spitting but if i apply the throttle slowly it revs up fine, what could be causing this?