www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1982 CB750F... The resto-not  (Read 23898 times)

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
Re: 1982 CB750F... The resto-not
« Reply #570 on: May 11, 2019, 18:36:00 »
Remembered that it was recommended to check clearances on the CB900 cams I'll be using.  I bought a valve spring compressor tool off amazon for $35 (and saved having to ask my long-suffering mate if I could borrow his tools again) which had one job to do and did it perfectly.  Out came the valves, dropped in the 900 cams and they fit just fine - no clearance issues.  Apparently these cast heads can have slight size differences in some areas and it's a good idea to check even though 900 cams are a straight swap -

Looks like no drama in that dept so got the valves back in (with some more assembly lube) - hoping to get my newly-bored cylinder block back from the machine shop soon and this lump's gonna get painted.  In the meantime - Ottawa for mother-in-law's day.

Thatís very lucky that all the valve clearances were spot on what were they at ? I had a lot of issues getting the clearances within tolerance when I changed my cams over.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #571 on: May 13, 2019, 18:27:33 »
Thatís very lucky that all the valve clearances were spot on what were they at ? I had a lot of issues getting the clearances within tolerance when I changed my cams over.
I dropped the cams in to check the clearances on the head itself, not the valve shims - that'll come later.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
« Reply #572 on: May 13, 2019, 18:38:34 »
I dropped the cams in to check the clearances on the head itself, not the valve shims - that'll come later.

Ahhh I c, youíll need, a pad & pencil, shim bucket tool,heaps of shims, booze and a stress ball

first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #573 on: May 13, 2019, 19:05:09 »
Ahhh I c, youíll need, a pad & pencil, shim bucket tool,heaps of shims, booze and a stress ball
Ha!  Yeah mate, have all of those things (minus the heap of shims but I have a go-to for that).  Don't have a stress ball but do have the wife's cat, poor fucker.

I had to re-shim the valves on my last CB build so know the drill.  One trick I've learnt since is to sand down the casting ridges and polish the bucket tool as these can snag when you're getting the bugger under the cams. 

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #574 on: May 14, 2019, 00:49:30 »
I'm just gonna park this here, for my sake as well as anyone else who's down with T00L

That's it, that's all.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #575 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:12 »
I'm just gonna park this here, for my sake as well as anyone else who's down with T00L

That's it, that's all.
Our good friend Kanticoy was at that show.  He's a B'ham (Moody) local.

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #576 on: May 14, 2019, 10:19:05 »
Our good friend Kanticoy was at that show.  He's a B'ham (Moody) local.
Heís a lucky guy. Just the audio sounds incredible - being there mustíve been something heíll never forget.

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #577 on: May 15, 2019, 13:00:06 »
Got the call from the machine shop - hopefully will be picking up the newly over-bored cylinder block today or tomorrow.  I'm also thinking that maybe now would be a good time to replace the A and B cam chains as well.  I forget whose build it was here on DTT that posted a vid of their 750 running but the engine sounded so sweet, no rattles from loose chains at all. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for well priced (but good quality) chains, or brands to look for and/or avoid?  I know they're not cheap but for sure I get why.  Also, how easy/complicated is it to remove the A chain and replace it with a new one (without splitting the cases)?

I found this supplier which has both for very (I think) reasonable prices, and they're also based here in Canada which is a big plus -

https://www.vintagecb750.com/products/4/engine/59/cam-chain-cam-chain-tensioners

I've emailed them to find out what brand the chains are, looks like the B chain is DID but I'm not sure about the A yet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 13:11:41 by Jimbonaut »

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #578 on: May 15, 2019, 14:59:01 »
Love Tool, saw them last year.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #579 on: May 15, 2019, 15:48:18 »
Right on Crabs, I've seen them a few times and - if they actually do release their new album end of August - hope to see them again soon.  A few of us old timers are getting revved up here in MTL to go kick the f*cking roof clean off.

Waiting on this cam chain info from the seller.  The more I think about it the more I'm ok with dropping a few bucks on the things.  I want this engine to purrrrrr.