www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1997 BMW F650 ST Bluebird - Repair, maintain, ride.  (Read 8594 times)

Online advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
Re: 1997 BMW F650 ST Bluebird - Repair, maintain, ride.
« Reply #90 on: Apr 23, 2019, 18:43:50 »
Got me thinking...

I was originally going to go Satin White, but now I don't know.

Online advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #91 on: Apr 23, 2019, 23:07:55 »
New grips and re-torqued the head gasket tonight. Used some zip ties to keep the cam sprockets aligned.

Got a stripped bolt on the starter, I need to pull it out and see if I can cut some new SAE threads in it for now until I can helicoil it.

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #92 on: Apr 24, 2019, 07:55:26 »
Helicoils use STI taps.  If you're not using a kit, make sure you get the STI tap for that screw size. 

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #93 on: Apr 24, 2019, 08:54:18 »
OURY are nice grips. I liked the set I had on the CX
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Online advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #94 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:10:54 »
Helicoils use STI taps.  If you're not using a kit, make sure you get the STI tap for that screw size.

Thanks. I’ve never used them before, I think I’m going to grab a kit so I can have them around

OURY are nice grips. I liked the set I had on the CX

I like them, I have them on the Van Van and had a set on the XL. For whatever reason, every time I order these grips they send me the ATV ones which are 1" shorter and don't fit on motorcycles. I think of the 4 times I've ordered them, I've gotten the wrong ones first 3 times lol.

Online advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
1997 BMW F650 ST Bluebird - Repair, maintain, ride.
« Reply #95 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:34:17 »
Got a second wind last night and pulled out this superfluous, hacked up wiring.

The kickstand kill switch was already disabled but just sitting up under the seat. I’m going to solder the wires together and delete it properly, as it’s a common failure point.

I removed the relay from up by the headlight. The way it was wired leads me to believe it was an aftermarket alarm system as it was hooked up to the horn with a direct hot to the battery. Deleted it and hooked the horn back up properly.

The ground cable is probably extra but it connected the frame ground where the RR grounds directly to the negative battery terminal, which can’t be a bad thing. I’ll make a new one since it worked the way it was.

Online advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
1997 BMW F650 ST Bluebird - Repair, maintain, ride.
« Reply #96 on: Apr 25, 2019, 02:20:15 »
More boring stuff today I pulled the carbs and gave them a quick once over. Glad I did as the hose that drains the water out of the gas cap was clogged and I think some water got into the carbs. Cleaned some crud out and put a new fuel line on. I'm going to clean the filter in the tank and there is an inline filter so I think I'm gonna forego the external fuel filter for now.

I cleaned out the airbox and airbox to carb boots as there was some funky shit growing in there. Not sure if it was dirt or mold or a combo of both, but I scrubbed the inside and got the carbs reinstalled before I had to call it a night.

I've been working on a 3D printed housing for the voltmeter to fit in the OEM clock space on the dash. Its damn near perfect after 6 iterations but of course I've run out of filament for the 3D printer so I had to order some more for the final version.

T-Minus 9 days til Ozarks. Still quite a bit to do but its mostly small stuff.  Shooting for a test ride Saturday, Sunday at the very latest to work out any bugs.

Vinyl will be here tomorrow for the color change. I need to fill in some screw holes from PO and make sure everything is smooth.

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #97 on: Apr 25, 2019, 07:53:11 »
Moving right along...

I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline pidjones

« Reply #98 on: Apr 25, 2019, 09:22:19 »
I'd never give up an external filter that I can see and quickly change on a carbed bike.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"