www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Why Does My Honda CL200 Only Run With Very Advanced Timing?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
Re: Why Does My Honda CL200 Only Run With Very Advanced Timing?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2018, 13:26:23 »
Can you post pics of your slides? Which side is the one that's wrong? I have a spare left side carb from a 200 that I think has a good slide.

Offline Classic5

« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2018, 13:54:57 »
Hey Advco,

I don't have an actual picture with me now, but this top picture is the arrangement that I currently have 2X of.

With the slide cutaway facing the air cleaner and you looking from the rear of the bike, the idle speed adjuster slot is on the left and the alignment channel is on the right as shown in this picture.

This is what I have 2X of

This is what I need(although I'm unsure if the 156 is an issue or not, as the numbers stamped on the bottom of both slides that I currently have are 155 2.5)

Thank you!

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2018, 13:59:08 »
Good question.  So I looked back through pictures of the last pair of CB200 carbs I rebuilt and sold and the slides do look like they are left and right hand, but no picture of the numbers.

Then I searched through a pile of CB175 pictures and found a pair of slides with 155 on left and 156 on right side, so I went back to the carb spec file and it says that the slide diameter on a 200 is 18mm and the same on a 175. Please post pics of your slides and of the carb bodies so we can tell for sure that you have the right carbs and slides.

You are correct that the 2.5 is the cutaway size.

Offline Classic5

« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2018, 22:48:35 »
Hey teazer,

Here are links to the photos that I took of the carburetors.
http://imgur.com/gallery/gYANfk5

Here is the link to the pictures of the slides.
http://imgur.com/gallery/Ni1wg0q

Let me know if you need any other pics!

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2018, 00:50:33 »
Yep.  The carbs are correct - left and right hand, so you need two different slides 155 in the left and 156 in the right.  That's the same slide as some CB175s. 

The narrow slot fits over the guide pin and the fat, angled slot is where the idle speed screw rests.  So the slides should be mirror images of each other.

Offline Classic5

« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:50:13 »
Hey All,

Long time no talk. I wanted to check back in and let you know that I finally got the new carb slide and definitely had a major improvement in performance. My neighbors are all giving me we weird looks as I ride my bike in 20°F temps, but I'm not going to stop until there's snow on the road.

I'm still having a problem with the engine cutting out and sputtering after running it at WOT for a while but then after I slow down it seems to fix itself, so I'm suspecting the fuel is just not getting into the bowl fast enough. I replaced the fuel filters, but maybe I really should take the petcock off and make sure the mesh isn't clogged up. Still some tinkering to do....

Anyways, I'm able to maintain a decent idle and can currently hit 60, so I just wanted to say a big thank you to you guys for helping me work though some of these puzzles!