Beat The Clock

troybilt

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
All right my friends, I spent a day on the new project and figured I'd post it up. I've thought about it for about 3 months now. Researched, pondered, sketched and pondered some more. I really don't have the money or time to do another complete build. In fact my garage is full of hay and I have to do all metal work outside. Yes, I've spent a bunch of time in the tractor seat and that gives me plenty of time to think about changes to the cafe. Yep, I cut her today. I have to tell ya I don't feel bad at all. After all, just a little work and bam... A new ride ;D
I've wanted to do a brat/bobber/boardtrack for some time. I didn't want to do hard tail, but I want it as low as it will go, both in the front and rear. Just skinny and low with good lines. I decided to keep the tank and I will build a little seat. I'll break it down once it's done and repaint paint the places I've fabed. Ride it some, then this winter rip it all apart and repaint the frame.
Anyhow, I still need to add guessets and bracing and finish up all the welds. The swingarm was stretched 4" and will be replaced with a custom made one. I went ahead and stretched the factory one in order to check the lines and ride height. In the near future I'll have a custom one made by rockcity or my uncle who works in a machine shop. It will come down to cost.
I relocated the uppershock mounts and with the stretched swingarm it lowered it quite a bit. It now has about 4" of ground clearance. The upper shock mounts will need to be further braced. But I really like how it sits now.
In the near future the battery box will go just above the swingarm and I want to change out the headlight to a much smaller one. I'm still looking for the right headlight. Keeping the clipons and I'm going back to factory foot pegs/controls. This winter plans are to rewire the entire bike, thenclean up the bars/controls. I want a horn button and headlight high/low and that's it. The key will be relocated underthe seat as will the horn. Then last but not least, new tires. Damn I'm still riding those dryrotted factory tires...

Re: 360 dragger/bobber brat what ever

Here are the photos. Don't hate me ;D
side note: I still need to add bracing and gusseets and finish all the welds. The fender is just stuck on and will need tabs welded to the swingarm but since the swingarm will be changed out the tabs will have to wait. Photos:

Troy! Were you not happy with the cafe?

Whatever it is, this build is going to be fascinating. I'm starting to get into the bobber look, but I plan on bobbing out a Honda Shadow in the future. I still haven't finished my bike yet :(

Hey man, Thanks for the kind words. Not that I wasn't happy with it I'm just ready to move on. figured I already did most of the work and with a few changes I could have a whole different looking bike. For that reason there won't be too much of a big build thread or detailed info.

Today I ground down most of my welds and rewelded everything. I added gussets to the rear triangle and I'm real happy with it. It should be just as strong or stronger than factory. Now I'm ready to start on the seat. Cut some cardboard for a template and plan on making a seat pan. I glue on some closed cell foam then cover it in leather. This thing shouldn't take long at all so I really need to look into having someone make my swingarm. Well, hear are a few more photos to give you an idea of low this thing is. It may not look it but i think it will be pretty comfortable.

without fender
DSC_1302.jpg

with rear fender.
DSC_1321.jpg

DSC_1322.jpg

That is some pretty slick schtick man. I would def consider rear sets and a stop of some kind... especially if you go w/o the rear fender!

My first thought when I saw this thread is that you should have just bought a different bike and started from scratch. Now, I like what you've done. It's the clip-ons and tiny seat that complete the bike.

What's up with the swing arm? Do you need me to TIG something up?

--Chris

Hey thanks guys. I was affraid everyone would hate me for cutting this thing up. My kid down in Mississippi told me that he wouldn't talk to me if I did it. He just called five minutes ago and said he checked the photos and he loved it. I guess that is all that matters :D But yeah Chris I'm in need of a swingarm with a 4.5" stretch. Rockcity made the offer to make me one a few days ago, but it didn't go any further than that. I don't want to get into biding wars or anything but it I need the swingarm and it would come down to price and turn around. Anyhow, the two of you do fantastic work and I know ether would do a great job. If you don't mind hit me up with a pm and let me know. I'm really itching to ride this thing and the swingarm will be the big catch. Take care, Troy

I can't speak for the group, but I friggin' love it. I think I just found out what I'm doing with my 400 hawk basket case...
Kudos my friend.

now that looks familar!!! love it man! completely dig the style as i am sure you know... i just pulled out my CB350 motor last night... my cuzin wants to rebuild it as a project for his shop class... once i have that back the CB 350 goes up on the lift... ha ha ha how do we always seem to be building the same style bikes at the same time!:) ha ha ha i love it!!!

I like it, I've been kicking around the idea of doing something similar with a cl350 I have.

Looking good...and I'm not talking about the bike....

JK! Your bobber is looking slick. I hope you get things sorted out with the swingarm.

Do you have contact between the rear wheel/fender and the cross piece between the shock mounts?
I hope not because that looks really cool! Perhaps a more pronounces loop arcing up and back that'll allow the wheel a bit mroe clearance?

I love the way this thing is turning out. It's sad to see the cafe go (it was on of the biggest inspirations for me getting a cafe), but I think this will take its place nicely.

Thanks for the props guys. See, I had nothing to be ashamed of all along. I feel better;D

Joe hopefully that 350 motor will get done fast (and right) and that thing will get done before the snow flys. ;D

Hey Good, Chrisf should get a start on the swingarm next week. From there it wont take long.

Swagger, Yeah I have clearance there but it will be close. I have the springs set stiff and I can bounce on it pretty hard and still have two fingers between the rail and the tire. However, I won't be able to mount the fender until I replace the tires. That clearance will be tight. I don't want to change the bar now because its all welded up and the gussets are in place. However, I did a bunch of measuring before building it all and I don't think it will be a problem.

Whiteflagwar, What can I say ;DGlad you found inspiration!

Have a couple of photos I'll post up in a few.

Mygood friend Will stopped by and brought some of his BLACK, THICK leather. Will is the Harley guy that wrapped all his tins in leather. I have to say the job he did on his bike looks very professional. Anyhow, he gave me some quick tips for doing my seat. I hope to work on the seat next week while the swingarm is being completed by Chrisf. I also hope to get the paint on the frame touched back up. That way when the swingarm comes I can paint it, install it, tie up a few other loose ends then ride ;D

Here is a shot of the pile of leather for my seat. Will buddy you rock!!!
DSC_1332.jpg

Will looking over the bike
DSC_1329.jpg

Ok, he says he loves how it feels ;D This photo is without the fender. Without the fender might be the way I go. I think it looks a little more bad ass. Like, "man, that could really hurt you!"
DSC_1328.jpg

This one is with the fender. I considering not running the fender.
DSC_1324.jpg

I shortened the kick stand. First I had to cut the foot off then shorten the main shaft. Re-weld the foot so it would set at a good angle then weld the shaft back together. I then cut the spring down and re-bent it. Wife says it's cute. I say it kicks ass,lol
DSC_1346.jpg

I like the lines, but will that thing turn? I looks like it will be dragging hard parts all day. It sure would suck to lever yourself off the ground in mid-turn.

Slow and wide man, slow and wide. Gonna weld up some skid rails. something to throw lots of sparks. Haha, just kidding. Actually it leans over quite a bit. I was quite surprised when I tried it. The only thing that may ever come close is the kick stand but I don't think it will be a problem. If it looks like it might be a problem I'll move it. However, I think the fact that it is so skinny and the pipes are high really help it out.

Back
Top Bottom