Kawasaki A1 250 Samurai cafe/kamikaze A1R project

Fred in MTL

Few days lurker/first time poster.
I am Fred. I am from Montreal.
Here's what I'll be starting with. I haven't decided entirely how the thing witll look like but I am definetly inspired by the A1R version of this bike.
Let me know what you guys think. Looking forward to get some input/tips/trick.

I wanna get the thing running before getting into any cosmetic work related thing. It is sitting at a friend's place for the moment. Most work will be done there (he restores vespas and has a guzzi project also.) so updates might not be regular. I'll try my best to make them as often as possible.

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00003.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00005.jpg

THE HISTORY SO FAR:

I picked up the bike from a guy that had a Kawasaki S1 project in the works. This one didn't suit his regular bill. Apparently the bike had been sitting in a barn with 3 walls for quite a few years. Weirdly enough the tires are not cracked (I still dont plan on using them anyway) but it definitely shows that the bike has been somewhat exposed to the weather for a prolonged amount of time.
The gas and oil tank were flooded with old oil to prevent rusting. The first day of work was spent on getting all that stuff out. Carbs were cleaned and so on. Everything looked good but not necessarily great. The crossover tube on the tank appears to be blocked. One of the choke cables was rusted at the carb and the plunger was detached from it. The sparkplug covers were broken.
Last Sunday afternoon was our fist attempt to get the thing running. The right cylinder would fire up, even idle. but as far as the left one goes, it would kick in and then just stop. It felt almost there, but not quite. Hopeful.

I am trying to not rush anything and skip steps. I guess what needs to be taken care of next is the plunger for the choke so i have functioning cables everywhere then, once i have the engine running properly i can start taking things down and cleaning the thing.

If i am to get bigger carbs, go from 22 to 26mm, is there any thing i need to take into consideration?

Great place to start.
I am currently doing a KH100 (also 2 stroke), have a look, you may or may not want to go this way. Whichever way you go, you will have a blast!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Jase

Nice, love those old strokers! Good project man, be keeping track of this for sure.

If you're heading for larger carbs, get it running properly with the ones it has first. With the larger ones, use the stock setting they come with for starters. It might run fine, it might not. If you need to source jets for the larger carbs, get main jets that are at least 1 or 2 sizes larger than those in the original 22s. You'll be able to tune it from there.

First stop, if you havent already, looks like new plugs, leads and caps. Without a decent spark it won't run no matter what you do to it. You may also want to run premix, instead of relying on the lube system, as a bit of insurance.

Cheers - boingk

Nice!! That thing looks beat. You have to check out my r5 build on this site. Also, check out HVCcycle.com for 2 stroke parts. I think if you have one cylinder running and both turning over go ahead and tear down the frame bits etc. If you can get a compression test do that.

Can you check the prefix of the engine no and let me know. I might have parts to suit. These were not big in Aus but some parts may carry over.
Watching :)
Love widdle Kwakas.

You know you are too busy when your thread ends up on page 7, that you post in it to keep it somewhat alive, that you don't really have anything to show and that most work that was done mainly happened in your head trying to figure out color schemes, seat and tank combo, coming up with a plan for the oil tank and the endless dilemma between clubman and clip ons.

The project is still alive, but since we have to have to wait for the stars to align and have 2 schedules to have some free time.

Aido, thanks for the offer. i will try to get you that information as soon as i can.
Boingk, plugs and caps were the first purchase made. Altho i didn't really pay attention and the guy sold me resistor plugs and resistor caps. a bit too much resistance going on and couldn't get a spark. We had old but still usable plugs laying around.
Lacbeth and Diesel450, I have checked your builds and tons on this site, i will definitely take a bit from all. So much inspiring stuff going around.

FINALLY had an opportunity to get some work done. Tanks, seat, lever and pegs, pipes all came off. Waiting for complete engine gasket kit, choke rebuild kit and a box of NOS spark plugs. Started stripping the tank. Debating if i'll leave it stripped/polished or if i should paint it. Maybe both? There is minor dents in it that i might wanna bondo.
Just came back from a trip to Tokyo which was very inspiring. This project might take a different direction now.

kadavenport said:
Any updates? Love 2 strokes and the Samurai's are cool little bikes.

Tear down is finally complete ... engine is out, rear wheel is off.
Got a box of NGK nos B9HC plugs and some mikuni choke kits. Still waiting for a nos gasket kit for the engine and we'll be able to tackle a light engine rebuild.
Debating on rearsets position so we can free the frame of unnecessary bits and pieces and send it to powder coating. Need to make sure the electronic is covered cause i haven't figured out how or even if i can ditch the cdi ignition system which will force me to have a battery. Oh, and don't forget the lube system. Besides that it's all aesthetical debates.

Back
Top Bottom