72 cb750 Homebrew Cafe Seat.

Deviant1

Over 1,000 Posts
I made a new seat! My old one wasn't terrible:
fail.jpg

But it was my first cafe seat. I learned a lot while I was making it, but I learned more by living with it. So I began a complete rebuild on my bike with my buddy TwistedWheelz commited to helping out two days a week. At first I was going to keep my old seat to save time, but then I found this old outboard motor cowl (freebie):
outboardcowl.jpg

I showed the cowl to TwistedWheelz and told him I thought it'd make a nice bum stop. While I was working on something else, he taped off a shape that was perfect. We painted some black over it and pulled the tape. Then we cut out the shape. I had tucked away a thick ass (1/16th) sheet of steel that I had found at the local c&d dump, so we cut the metal with a grinder wheel and bent it using a hammer and two pieces of angle iron viced together. We then attatched the cowl piece to the metal pan using four pop rivets.
newseatcloseup.jpg

Newseat.jpg

Here's a shot of it mocked up on the bike at this stage:
mockup.jpg

Up next was some fiberglass reinforcement on the inside to help it all hold together. The cowl sits flush on the hoop where the fender mounted before, so it's supported from the back there, and the fiberglass seat pan we built has wood attatched to the back which gives it support under the arch. And then bondo, I probably ended up doing eight or nine coats total to get the edges sharp. The area where the rivets are was a total PITA to get smoothed out as well.
seatbondo.jpg

seatcorners.jpg

Next we laid Saran wrap over everything and began my first fiberglass project. The seat pan went incredibly smoothly. When we were done we had two layers of cloth and two layers of mat with reinforcements strategically placed on top of that. We laid four peices of wood into the bottom so that the staples would have something to grab when the upholstry was done. We also attatched a piece of wood across the back of the seat for this purpose, plus added support.
seatpanwithback.jpg

Here it is on the seat:
seatandpan.jpg

Then TwistedWheelz got to carving on the foam. He made a pretty rough shape, and when I asked him if he wanted me to clean it up (i had taken a lot of time shaping the pad on my last seat project), he was like "No, we're going to go over it with batting and that along with the tension on the vinyl will pull the seat down to an even shape." I had my doubts, I'm sorry to say.
process.jpg

Brandon's girlfriend's mother does some upholstry work, and she was in town that weekend, so he got her to help and together they covered the pad with batting.
seatpadded.jpg

Then they covered that with the vinyl, pulling and stretching and stapling. I'm glad to say that my doubts were unfounded, as the shape is smooth and pleasing. :)
seatpad.jpg

I get by with a little help from my friends (and their future-mothers-in-law). ;D
We cut the hole out of the back of the cowl for the taillight around this time too.
taillighthole.jpg

Here's the test fit of it all united for the first time.
seat.jpg

After lots of paint work (See TwistedWheelz's thread about the rattle bomb process for more on this) with some Primer, RustoLeum Burnt Orange, and clear this is what we came out with:
IMG00173.jpg

IMG00172.jpg

Next we ran some black trim molding around the bottom and mounted it on the bike. One of the great things about this seat is that I can still swap out the stock seat (once I get my other taillight attatched to it) in a couple of minutes. This makes my wife happy!
Here it is on the bike:
IMG00181.jpg

So that's how TwistedWheelz and I turned two pieces of garbage into a cafe seat.

That seat turned out amazing! I am a huge fan of the burnt orange as well. I guess it all goes to show what imagination and ingenuity can accomplish (as well as some talented friends)! Congrats, your build is turning out great!

One mans garbage is another mans café seat!
;D
Isn’t that how it goes!

Old outboard motor cowl……………free
Cut out piece of SS sheet metal….….free
Pop rivets……………………………$.04
Bondo……………………………….$8.00
Sand Paper…………………………..$3.00
Fiberglass and resin…………………$23.00
Foam from trashed jet ski seat………free
Scrap wood………………………….free
Primer paint…………………….…..$1.09
Orange Paint…………………….….$3.00
Clear Paint……………………….…$3.00
Sweet black vinyl……………….….$5.00
Hardware……………………….…..$.40

SWEET ASS ONE OFF CUSTOM HAND MADE CAFÉ SEAT………..PRICELESS!

That seat really looks great. I love the body lines on that motor cowl. Looks totally custom and badass. Good job guys.

Nice work guys! I really like those lines, and the recessed back panel. Looks like it was made for the bike.

Got any info on the motor cowl. I think that shape would go well with my XS360 tank.

Thanks for all the nice words guys.
The cowl was a Sears Ted Williams 16(or 12) horse outboard motor... It might be expensive to actually buy that specific cowl. Probably better off looking for something in that general size (or smaller as my seat is quite wide) that has a nice shape at the rear. Good luck mate! And remember that dropping megabucks on a cool seat doesn't give you the pride you get when you make one that looks better for far less!

Thanks for the info Deviant. Yeah, I'm definitely into lo-tech mods on the nickel, but you'd never know by looking at your seat that it was done that way. I have been planning on taking a mold off of the rear section of my tank, but I will be keeping my eyes open for other options like yours for sure!

Thanks!
-Jeff

Your seat pan looks vaguely familiar.... Mine was stock. ;D
P1010088.jpg

P10100092.jpg

I like the direction you're going with this tail.

loudest143

Deviant, Twistedwheels, great job guys. I not only like the outcome of the seat (and I was sorta iffy as browsed the phots one by one but in the end a great rear cowl was the result.) But i also enjoyed two friends sharing the same hobby and passion for cafe bikes and both of you working together.

Man I wish I had a friend who also loved working on Cafe bikes. Most of my buddy's ride cruisers and rockets. I don't fit and feel left out sorta... :-\

Back
Top Bottom