1975 RD 250 project

ringading

Hey guys,

I've been floating around the forum for a few weeks now. Really loving the bikes on here! Its given me a lot of inspiration. In the beggining of the summer, i set out to build my own cafe racer. I started with a 1975 RD250B. The bike was sitting for 23 years. I got it running, tuned it up, and began stripping it down. I have a ton of pics but for now ill just upload a before and present photo. I think its coming along nicely for a broke ass high school senior!

When i brought it home - no key with the bike, front brake locked up
1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

As of now -
4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

I am sandblasting and painting my wheels, sealing and painting my tins, painting the engine covers with hammered paint, painting my shocks/polishing the springs and hopefully getting my new firestone tires mounted within the next couple of weeks!

also, i am waiting for my new bolt kit and fork gaiters to arrive this week...

boomshakalaka said:
nice! I think the rd's have some of the only side covers that look good to me.

i do like the RD side covers. The bike will have a custom seat which Chris (motofiaccone) is building me.

just came in from working on the bike. the tank sealer and new bolt kit came in today. i finished the frame loop tonight. tomorrows plans include painting the forks, sealing the tank, and installing fork gaiters...if they ever get here. Paint later this week!

It's been REALLY cold up here in northern NY (40 degrees F) so i havent been doing much work on the bike. We have a garage, its just not headed at the moment. I did however paint my engine covers in school. also, i bought stainless bolts to go with them. The pics dont look very good at all, but the covers look great in person. here are some pics! i used rustoleum hammered black.
DSCN2503.jpg

DSCN2504.jpg

Nice, another 2 stroker!! If you haven't found it already HVCcycle.com is a great resource for these bikes. How did you do your rear hoop? I have an R5 build going on right now and I did a rear hoop for it as well. just curious.

diesel450 said:
Nice, another 2 stroker!! If you haven't found it already HVCcycle.com is a great resource for these bikes. How did you do your rear hoop? I have an R5 build going on right now and I did a rear hoop for it as well. just curious.

diesel, i took the loop from an old parts bike (kawi F7). It was far too wide so i cut an inch out of the center and rewelded it. i cut the rear of my RD frame and welded the hoop to the frame. HVC is an amazing website! they have just about everything for two-strokes. When i need a part i usually go to my local shop, they give me a good deal...they love the idea that im into vintage.

I stole a hoop off an xs650 and did the same thing except sounds like you did your own welding which is the way to go. I have to have that done. Hopefully not much longer though. keep up the good work!

i bet that gets expensive! i actually just got gas for my welder last week, mainly for this project. I go to school for autobody, so i can practice welding whenever i need too. That way i dont have to use my gas and wire ;)

Back
Top Bottom