2009 CM400 build... Hope I can finish it this year

kodiak

Been Around the Block
OK guys
I'm returning to the build for the winter, as I managed to smoke the bearings on the con rod late in the season. Figured nows as good a time as any to rip her down and do it up right. For those of you that didn't see last years work, here's the link...
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6933.0
That should get ya up to speed.
As the day goes on, I'll be posting pics of what I've got done so far... Which is ripped her down all the way to the frame. Blasted ready to weld on some tabs for the electronics box and rear brake light switch, then paint.. more to follow on that.
Jake

Starting to tear her down
115_1924.jpg

115_1926.jpg

motors out

115_1927.jpg

Airbox has got to go! THat thing is just butt ass ugly! K&N's to come

115_1930.jpg

Split the case... hopefully I can remember how it all goes back together
115_1932.jpg

115_1934.jpg

well, Don't have any pics at the moment cuz i forgot to drag the camera over to my dads, but the case is now blasted and ready for paint. Anybody know how well the high temp engine paint actually holds up? What I'd really like to do is paint the case black, then spray the jugs and head in super bright yellow, then tape off just the edges of the fins to paint them black, so that all you see is a black motor with bright yellow fin edges.... Not sure how the hell I'm gonna tape it off and make it look decent tho. Might just hafta do like everyone else and sand the edges after paint and forget the yellow. THis one might take some thought...

Paint the jugs black then tape all the way around the entire jugs...like wrapping a present...with masking tape. Then take sand paper and sand the areas with tape that are touching the fin edges. Now spray the sanded areas with yellow. Tape is actually pretty easy to sand off on edges when you want to . I do it when I'm masking crazy shapes for paint to get the defined edges on the part. Just a thought!

That's a kick ass idea... THe thought had crossed my mind, but I wasn't real sure if it would work. THanks!

If I were you I would paint the yellow on pretty thick, a good 3 or 4 coats. Then paint the black on top. Once the black has cured get a block with very fine grit (1000 or so) sandpaper and wetsand it until the yellow shows. Wetsanding gets you a very controlled environment pertaining to how much you would like to remove. Just make sure you keep the paper extremely wet and use a couple drops of soap in the water.

Ghosttown said:
Any updates? Somehow I just now found this thread ::)
Man, I'm so sorry guys... Been busy as hell this winter and haven't been online much... I'll get pics up as soon as I can... the build is almost complete, turned out awesome! Ended up going with "velocity yellow" a 2008 Corvette color, with black racing stripes... stripped her down pretty much bare bones, and almost have it all back together... right now I'm just re- wiring, cuz i relocated all the electronics to the tail end, and all the wires are too short... I'll get those pics up as soon as I can
Jake

Have you got any pics of the crank journal / bearings?

My CM400 just locked up solid yesterday, I'm pretty sure the left rod bearing is to blame. This will be the third time I've had one of these engines fail (the other two were on CB250N/CB400N) but I still love them.

The Steamboat has Landed said:
Have you got any pics of the crank journal / bearings?

My CM400 just locked up solid yesterday, I'm pretty sure the left rod bearing is to blame. This will be the third time I've had one of these engines fail (the other two were on CB250N/CB400N) but I still love them.
I'm pretty sure I've got pics somewhere, it'll take me a bit to find them and post. Unfortunately, thanks to this economy, I don't have internet at home, and only get online when I stop by my folk's place. Let me know if you need engine parts. I picked up a donor motor last fall, and have pretty much a complete motor minus bearings. I'll try to get those pics on a disk and post them next time I'm over here.
Otherwise, If you look back in the pics I've got posted, you can see the bearings hanging out of the right hand con rod where it's mounted on the crank.

Jake

Hey Kodiak, nice to see you back on the forum. I got a complete disk front end if you need it and want to covert, although it is comstars. I got the rear too though 19 front and 18 rear. I offered the brake caliper to Deviant but if he doesn't want it you could have it for the cost of shipping. The tires are shit though. Let me know, I need to get the stuff out of the basement, starting to piss off the wife. I would rather give it to a DTT member than toss it out.

Cheers,

Maritime

Well, here she is... I seem to have lost a bunch of pics, but here's what I've got...

Painted Frame
122_2053.jpg

Painted Body
122_2054.jpg

Different View
122_2055.jpg

Putting her back together
122_2056.jpg

More Pics
122_2061.jpg

122_2076.jpg

And I'll post the rest as soon as I can find them... She's all complete and I've got about 300 miles on her... :)
Pretty much all thats left is some fine tuning on the carbs... Re-jetted for the pod filters, but now she's running a little fat... shouldn't be long before she's dialed in :)
Jake

Back
Top Bottom