Blast Cabinets - what should I buy??

Stout

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
Just wondering what blast cabinets you guys have or would recommend purchasing. I'm looking at the Bad Boy Blast cabinets. Does anyone have any experience with them good or bad? Thanks for the advice!

- Stout

Stout,

I don't know how adventurous you feel but you can build one for yourself and save big $$. Here's one I'm finishing up. I paid $10.00 for a 55 gallon drum and used some spare steel laying around for the carriage, window frame and arm holes. If you do this, make sure you get a drum with a locking lid.

This has more room than the table top units. You'll need a small light fixture for inside, a sheet of Lexan for the window, an air hose and blasting gun, and some blasting gloves. Total investment less than $75.00.

You hook it up to a shop vac to pull out the dust. The air filter is for incoming air, more for looks really. I still need to drill holes for the light cord and the air hose.
IMG_1500.jpg

This shot shows the hookup for the shop vac at the top of the lid.
IMG_1501.jpg

That is pretty sweet! But the last thing I need is another project; I have three bikes in the shop right now that need to be built, so I was hoping to just buy one that is ready to go. Thanks for suggestion though, good luck with your cab.

Stout

Skyeye, what kind of setup did you use for your media pick-up? Stout, sorry about the thread jack! Skyeye, I would like to see a full instructive post on your build if you have time and list what all you used, I am very interested in building myself one similar to yours!

If you create a thread on this please PM me the link! If you dont have time for that a simple answer here would be great!

Thanks!

tWistedWheelz said:
Skyeye, what kind of setup did you use for your media pick-up? Stout, sorry about the thread jack! Skyeye, I would like to see a full instructive post on your build if you have time and list what all you used, I am very interested in building myself one similar to yours!

If you create a thread on this please PM me the link! If you dont have time for that a simple answer here would be great!

Thanks!

x2

this is the unit we have... we have 2 in the shop actually one for each style of media
it is a Scat Media cabinet with a Scatt dust collector... you can build homemade ones super simple, but we use ours almost all day every day... so we needed somethign that would get it done... carbide tips are the only way to go!

New%20Jersy%20A&P%20School%20016.jpg

our other cabinet is just a simple harbor freight somethign like this unit but the big one... we also went with a aftermarket nozel, gun, and carbide tip

93608.gif

JRK5892 said:
this is the unit we have... we have 2 in the shop actually one for each style of media
it is a Scat Media cabinet with a Scatt dust collector... you can build homemade ones super simple, but we use ours almost all day every day... so we needed somethign that would get it done... carbide tips are the only way to go!

our other cabinet is just a simple harbor freight somethign like this unit but the big one... we also went with a aftermarket nozel, gun, and carbide tip

93608.gif

JKR, what size is your Skat cabinet? That thing looks huge. I'd love to get one that big, but am afraid it is more than I am looking to spend. I was considering this one http://www.tptools.com/p/2900,54_Skat-Blast-Soda-Master™-780-Soda-Blasting-System.html . Any thoughts?? My only concern is that I might not be able to get a frame in it; I'll have to do some measuring when I get home. Thanks for the help, Stout

it is: 30'' deep, 60'' wide, 64-1/2'' high. Work area - 28'' deep, 58'' wide, 28'' high, foot pedal operation

JRK5892 said:

93608.gif

can you get a frame in there?

Yes sir we can in the first one, after i pull the swing arms... if it is a chopper frame we have an extension that bolts on to the side of the cabinet and gives us an extra 3 ft to work with... still on some really big chop frames we do i have a buddy that will blst them in an blasting room for us
everything needs to be blasted to be coated. and we stand behind all our work
6614-00-quick-change_R.jpg

JRK5892 said:
it is: 30'' deep, 60'' wide, 64-1/2'' high. Work area - 28'' deep, 58'' wide, 28'' high, foot pedal operation

Foot pedal operation. Didn't think of that, I'll have to incorporate that into my cabinet. Good Idea

Jay

when you spend as much time in front of the cabinet as we do it is a MUST, hell this weekned i was in front of it from 7pm till 4am sat-sun... long day and here is what we coated
we shoot 80 grit alum oxide... so it takes time to clean up parts... we are going to run the other cabinet with a more abrasive media soon. never the less they where alot of big nasty parts so took a while to get them to where they needed to be

28i7c.jpg

Joe - what in GODS NAME are you building now? Putting a big ol' radiator on an upcoming project? :) Building a John Deer lawn mowin chop?

THE GREEN WING man... my brothers gold wing... wait till you see this sucker! it is unreal!!!
i do curse you a bit, he saw your side cover that i blasted with the decal over it... and fell in love with that look, so i have decals on order to do the same to a few items on his bike... cool trick man, great idea, wait till you see it... does look AWESOME, i may have a pic of it before i sent the stuff... came out 100X's better than i could have hoped it would, i put it in the far back of the booth and just dusted it...

Ill start a build thread soon enough for the Wing, we have like 4 more rounds of that powder... it is a pain to shoot as prep has to be PERFECT, then it gets cleared... it is sick!!! we shot the whole bike in a bed liner, 60% gloss... looks evil... 3500 LEDS are going on it, industrial tail lights with 65 leds per lite will light the back, and 1000 watts (2 500 watt) amps will provide the sounds (2 - 6x9 & 2 - 3.25 component speakers in the fairing, with 2 - 3.25 in the trunk for her) the seat has been wrapped in furr... yes black fur... this sucker will TOUR like no other. GPS, IPOD, and cell charging station is installed in the faring, and to cap it off HID headlight with 2 85 projecton LED spot lights on front... it is unreal how much lighting this thing will have, it is so well planned out with the bikes stock charging stystem it would blow your mind... it is my brothers baby... after we did his chopper build he wanted something that his girl and him can put on some miles... this is our answer to that :)
ill show pics when i get them uploaded... finish date (april 1st cause in May we head to Tennessee)

I took a gamble and made one out of plywood, it actually works quite well, the media doesn't eat into the wood really at all, stood behind it for a solid 3 days now too.

Back
Top Bottom