Update on KZ650 project

bunnyman

Been Around the Block
The Kawa is coming home very soon. But if you had read the thread before, it seemed like I was taking on an awfully large task. If I weren't a neophyte, this would be no big deal. But I AM a neophyte.

The first thing to change is the seat. I was going to farm out the work; however, it was going to cost an arm and a leg for the privilege to have the mechanics do this. I told them I was going to wait until the entire bike is painted; but I know I could do this myself. Since my mechanical knowlege on motorcycles is limited, I am going to have them replace the throttle cable while the bike is in the shoppe (it is frayed). I did change out the stock bars for a pair of super-strong Renthals. Bar-end mirrors won't fit, but I am not worried. I know that with a little help, this seat could go on quite easily, and it won't cost $300 for the labour. But the vinyl on the stock seat is torn, so the seat will have to be dealt with soon.

The headlamp was going to be a BikeIt Falcon that would have been heavily modified to fit inside of a Bultaco Metralla America fairing; however, I have decided on something a little more suited: A Thruxton-style flyscreen. I will switch to a modern 7" headlight (with H4 hi/low bulb) for safety. I have also ditched the idea of using the Pigspotter2 mirrors. These will go onto something more suited (like a modern sportbike). These extra parts will sit around until the next project comes along, so I am not worried that I won't use them right away. I will get a chin spoiler, as these are particularly suited for four-cylinder '70s bikes.

I will do a Vance and Hines 4-1 exhaust, as a bolt-on is available for this machine. These are cheap-as-chips ($375 USD), as well. The bummer is that they are only available in chrome. I will utilise the expertise of skilled mechanics to get the jetting, etc. correct until I can learn how to do this myself.

While I may change out the turn signals and mirrors, the machine will only be mildly modified. I think I might have gone way too far had the machine been worked out the way I was going to do it.

When she gets home, there will be pictures.

Re: CM 250 C conversion

steer clear of the alsa corp chrome shit, it's way too temperamental to be dependable for a motorcycle finish.
even when it's good, it's nowhere near chrome.
when it's bad, well, check youtube. it literally peels off in sheets.

if you want a chrome finish, do it right... but it's heavy, so that's a consideration.

i love the offbeat honda builds. i was driving home last night and saw an old honda xt600 (i think?) dominator... even though it's a massive single, i saw some potential there... heh.

Nice stuff bunnyman, and those little Honda engines make good mounts. Hell, our instructed learner course here is based around the things.

Anyway, just found it strange that you casually mentioned making a fibreglass seat. Personally, I wouldn't. I've done one and wasnt particularly happy with the results, and also discovered that it would have been almost the same cost to order one from rockcitycafe. And thats WITH shipping all the way across the globe to my little shack in the outback. So have a think, and check out whats available that catches your eye.

Cheers, and hope it goes well - boingk

Disclaimer: I don't actually live in outback Australia, or in a shack.

+1 on the downunder shack. damn kangaroos assaulting people in the streets, dingos eating our babies, etc.
ahh the road test specced cb250s... love the rollbars.

agreed about the seat though. if you're planning on a fibreglass one, check ebay, rockcity... unless you're really particular about shape, it WILL be cheaper to get a premade one.

Bring em on. ;)
I've always wanted a solo seat on my KZ.
Something that can be swapped easily with a two up is my plan.

Back
Top Bottom