www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: YZF750/1000R - The Fly  (Read 25244 times)

Offline 1fasgsxr

Re: YZF750/1000R - The Fly
« Reply #310 on: Apr 18, 2018, 10:37:34 »

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #311 on: Apr 18, 2018, 20:39:02 »
I remember them from the 80's-90's as well, as being a force to be reckoned with.
But when you mentioned Dutchman Racing, I knew I had seen the name again recently. Well, not real recently (4yrs ago), but at Barber '14 I tracked down local hero Jamie James in the paddock area. I was able to get this photo of him (and me) with his racebike...

Check the tank :)

Love the pic and the story.  That is awesome Chris!
--
KZ400 The Rabbit
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #312 on: Apr 18, 2018, 20:43:56 »
I knew Jamie pretty well back in the day. He started racing in the Southeast with Quick Sand and Gravel as his sponsor. Always loved that name. We hung out in the pits and went to dinner a fair amount back then. What a southern accent on that coonass. His mom and dad used to come to the races in the rv and make a big ole pot of jambalaya on saturday night and feed anybody that wanted to come around.

We were racing the 24 hrs of Nelson ledges one year, maybe 88 or 89, on a Katana 600 and I crashed in the middle of the last turn onto the straight. I ended up just sitting in the middle of the track with a concussion and separated shoulder, a little dazed and my back to traffic. I finally made it off the track, back to the pits and eventually to the hospital for a short visit. When I came back to the track Jamie came down to find me and see if I was OK, because he was the next bike through and had to pull up hard to avoid hitting me. I was wearing bright pink and grey leathers with bright green lettering on them, and Jamie said he saw the leathers in the middle of the track and ran off to avoid me. He was riding for Team Valvoline Suzuki at the time, the best endurance team in the country.
He was always good to hang out and have a beer with, a great guy.

I have never raced but I love bike racing.  It's one of the reasons I love to hear track stories like yours.  If you can't be there then at least first person "no shit there I was" stories are awesome. 
--
KZ400 The Rabbit
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline ex119x

« Reply #313 on: Today at 01:55:25 »
Its not too late to start racing. I'm 61 and still have a bunch of vintage race bikes and an SV650.