CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: CB360's - Speak No Evil, See No Evil, Hear No Evil (and eventually, just EVIL)

Thanks for all the replies.
I have one of the small gravity feed blasters from Harbor Freight, use it for cleaning cylinders.
Compressor isn't really big enough though, or nozzle is too big? (what pressure does everyone use?)
It also makes a lot of mess/dust s I don't have any sort of cabinet ;D
I'll have to try it on rust and see what happens
I think I'll get one of the cup brushes and give up on chemical stripping until weather cools down

Re: CB360's - Speak No Evil, See No Evil, Hear No Evil (and eventually, just EVIL)

just read the whole thread..and got some great tips and ideas..thanks crazypj and the videos were awesome!! 8)

man, this is one nice bike!

Did a little bit yesterday, found all the engine mounting plates, stripped paint, primed and painted them.
Still don't have frame fully stripped, going to weld a brace in where it flexes most (probably today, painkillers will be working properly in about 30 mins ;) )
Saw a picture of 1973 MV Augusta 500cc 3 cylinder.
It was 'last' four stroke to win 500 GP
Really liked the colour scheme.
I'm going with 'too much red' ;D
Bought red vinyl for seat, just hope I don't F*** U* making it
I'll need to get some white Honda wings or maybe plain white 'H' as seen in the Honda/Matchless thread (the 'last one in circle)
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=29320.0
(about halfway down page 1)
Here's Wiki link for Pic of Agostini's 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1973_500_tre_Cilindrica_Corsa_Ago_bike.jpg

looking forward to pics bud! loving it so far!

what i would do if your compressor does not have the CFM to push your pot blaster on the frame is get some aircraft stripper, and a few cans of non clorinated brake cleaner, and engine cleaner... hell i do this in the shop still before putting it in the strip tank... use the engine cleaner all over the frame, this will get rid of all that gunk build up... then on the tough spots hit it with the brake cleaner... non clorine leaves 0 residue, works great... after it is all done, use some spray air craft stripper, let it go to work, then go after the tough spots with a scraper... then hose off... next move on to the wire wheels if your blaster will not push... one thing to check on your comrpessor to blaster is the hoses, small hoses will not allow enough CFM to build up and push out... wire wheels work fine but toss shit everywhere... hope that helps!

Cool, I'm going to go do some stuff 8)

Damn Pj, you build some nice stuff man!

Welded a brace in frame where it flexes most.
Found the top tubes were a lot thinner than expected, probably rust inside around weld?
I let it 'burn back' to solid metal then filled it in.
Ended up about 3/4" by 1/2" on right side and 1/2"by 1/4" on left.
Forgot to take any pics of it and now it's fixed, it's fixed ;D
I used 2"x1" mild steel box section.
While I had welder out I also seam welded the top and bottom flanges of the pressed steel front section
Anyway, here's some pics.
The brace welded in
Framebrace-fromthefront.jpg

The frame, showing wher the problem area's are
CB360frame-problemarea.jpg

Top and bottom flanges welded
It doesn't do an awful lot as frame can still flex on the bends, but, it will be better than stock
Weldedflanges.jpg

I saw a thread a while ago (can't remember when or where) where a guy took a grinder to the pressed steel sections on the top and bottom of the frame where the tank usually sits. I've inferred by your additional welding in those areas that this was probably a very bad idea. Correct?

Nope, the proper way to do it would be grind flat and weld plate into gap, in effect making it a true 'tube' section

OK, can't leave well enough alone ::) ;D
Got CB450 front wheel as it's a bigger drum than 360
CB450.jpg

It's getting THIS when after I get it stripped down and cleaned up

Borrani.jpg

is the 450 rim the same width as the 360?

450 rim is wider than stock 360 front rim
It's same width as 360 rear rim
I fitted 360 rear to front of Brendon's bike and XS650 rear rim to rear so he has WM2 front and WM3 rear.
Said it has noticeably improved handling

I definitely recommend making this change, I run avon tires and we are starting to see the wear line rise on the tires, which is a big indicator on how much better it is handeling. I feel and notice a difference!

ashdricky PM'ed me about RFY shock mods.
I pulled one out and 2 mins later had this - 'P J' shocks.Quick run round with Dremel 'painted with a sharpie
I will do it properly now I know it works ;D
PJShock.jpg

Haha - that's putting your mark on it for sure ;D

Nice work ;)

Even with painkillers I couldn't sleep last night so I did something 'useful' between 4:00am and 6:15am ::)
Drew out a pattern on a 360 rotor few months ago but never got any further with it.
Made a mandrel to center rotor center punched a pattern I liked then center drilled a row of holes.
Drilled them out to 1/4" relocated drill table and drilled the next circle.
While I was at it I drilled mounting with 1/2" holes and did a circle of 1'4" on the disc/carrier mounting flange
Doesn't seem to have removed much weight and definitely looks a bit 'different' (it looked 'better' when I drew pattern with Sharpie ;D )
Anyway, here's pics
The 'outside'
CB360rotor-frontview.jpg

The 'inside' (nearest spokes)
CB360rotor-rearview.jpg

man that sucks you are in thatmuch pain brother, i feel for you man... have to say, that is an off the wall pattern. i am trying to see the pattern to be honest. looks holey :)
when you drll these you using a cobalt bit or what? i keep seeing allt hese guys doing it but not sure how you are drilling htem out

Back
Top Bottom