www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1977 KZ400 Build "Logan's Run"  (Read 36843 times)

Offline Big-D

Re: 1977 KZ400 Build
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2009, 11:57:15 »
Bike is coming along well, should be fun when its done.

Offline noahdog

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2009, 16:49:31 »
Well I sold the set of rearsets I was trying unsuccessfully to use to a fellow member here and ordered up a set of universal ones from Thailand so when they show up in probably 3 weeks  >:(  I'll get them mounted.  I'm hoping to get the cut up tank welded onto the seat base I made this weekend so I can start bondoing the dents and getting it ready for paint.

Offline noahdog

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:35:51 »
The rearsets finally arrived from Thailand so I started cutting and grinding to to make room for them and of course drop a few pounds. ;)

I think I can get the rod going back to the rear drum to clear the swing arm  if I flip the lever on the drum to point up instead of down. Won't know for sure till I get the rearsets mounted and bend the rod but trying to run the rod under the swing arm doesn't look possible

I've also got a sweet  1/4 fairing on it's way thanks to another fine member here on the forum.  It's scheduled to get here wednesday which just happens to be our weekly bike night. ;D Hopefully I can get that mounted and get pics then I'll go back to work on the rearsets. Just need to weld on some mounting tabs and get the linkages sorted out.

Offline noahdog

« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2009, 17:52:22 »
Hmm, it seems the clubman bars aren't going to work with the new fairing. It hits the master cylinder on the brake handle long before it's lined up with the bucket so it looks like I'll be picking up a pair of drag bars. Anyone interested in a set of very slightly used clubmans? ;)

Offline troybilt

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2009, 18:43:22 »
Looking Good Noah. I agree with Pj on that you might want to get the seat (and tank) taken care of before positioning the rearsets. They will dictate where the rear sets need to go for sure.
And I'd like to say that thing is amazing clean too. My guess would be 2k might be right.
"One should not be too distracted by definitions. Ideas transcend definitions." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." — Ray Wylie Hubbard

“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.”
— Hindu Proverb

Offline noahdog

« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2009, 22:12:47 »
Looking Good Noah. I agree with Pj on that you might want to get the seat (and tank) taken care of before positioning the rearsets. They will dictate where the rear sets need to go for sure.
And I'd like to say that thing is amazing clean too. My guess would be 2k might be right.

Good point, I'll probably wait on positioning the reasets till after I get the new bars and the seat done so I know how high I'll be sitting. I suddenly went from twiddling my thumbs  waiting on parts to work on to so many things to work on it's dizzying. ;D

Offline noahdog

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2009, 13:36:55 »
Got the new dragbars installed last night. They will work perfectly and still give me a similair stance as the clubman bars did which is good. The fairing will now fit once I trim it a bit to fit around the tach and speedo. Here's the fairing I picked up from another member here on DTT.

Once I get it trimmed I need to make some mounting brackets and figure out what to do about turn signals. I'm torn between having them stick out from the side and mounting some flush mount signals onto the fairing itself.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to get some bar end mirrors which is fine since that was the plan anyway. I don't think any stock mount mirrors would clear the fairing. I really wish there were such a thing as bar end mirrors with built in turn signals but so far I can't find any.

Any suggestions on the front signals would be appreciated. I've got a set of small bullet signals for the rear but they clearly won't work for the front.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2009, 13:52:54 »
Once the fairing is mounted up, find an appropriate place and drill some holes to mount the signals right in the fairing. Fiberglass can always be fixed if ya change your mind down the road...
Oh ya, still have those clubmans? If so, how much shipped to 15009?
 Thanks man, Mike.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline noahdog

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2009, 13:57:09 »
I'm afraid I sold the clubmans to troybilt who ironically had the fairing originally but sold it to kanticoy who wound up not using it and selling it to me.  ;D

I'm thinking of using a pair of flush mount signals mounted through the existing holes to also hold the mounting bracket on. The trick is finding the right size and mounting style.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2009, 16:27:26 »
Got the new dragbars installed last night. They will work perfectly and still give me a similair stance as the clubman bars did which is good. The fairing will now fit once I trim it a bit to fit around the tach and speedo. Here's the fairing I picked up from another member here on DTT.

Once I get it trimmed I need to make some mounting brackets and figure out what to do about turn signals. I'm torn between having them stick out from the side and mounting some flush mount signals onto the fairing itself.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to get some bar end mirrors which is fine since that was the plan anyway. I don't think any stock mount mirrors would clear the fairing. I really wish there were such a thing as bar end mirrors with built in turn signals but so far I can't find any.

Any suggestions on the front signals would be appreciated. I've got a set of small bullet signals for the rear but they clearly won't work for the front.

That makes a lot of sense, bar end mirrors with signals......I bet yo could get some Led's that could mount pretty small on the backs of some mirrors and look good. .... I like that idea, a good looking set would probaly sell on ebay too.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson