www.townmoto.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.moto-madness.com

www.rustrev.com

www.monstercraftsman.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1977 KZ400 Build "Logan's Run"  (Read 16467 times)

Offline noahdog

Re: 1977 KZ400 Build "Logan's Run" Color Decisions
« Reply #90 on: Mar 08, 2010, 20:09:16 »
So I'm trying to come up with a color for the bike. I'm leaning heavily towards a burgandy/wine color with a candy clear coat. There's an auto store near me that mixes Duplicolor paint to match standard auto color codes. After going through the color code PDF on the Duplicolor site I'm only finding one color that comes close to what I'm envisioning. It's a Dark Cherry Red by Hyundai which is ironic since my daily 4 wheel cage is a 2002 Hyundai Elantra. Here's the color, what are your thoughts?

Offline Gryph

• 1979 KZ400B2, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Re: 1977 KZ400 Build "Logan's Run"
« Reply #91 on: Mar 08, 2010, 21:32:55 »
Very classic, I love it.  Kinda wish I hadn't gone with plain ol' black on mine.  You gonna throw any stripes on there?

Offline noahdog

« Reply #92 on: Mar 09, 2010, 08:57:40 »
I'm kinda thinking of putting a silver stripe either down the middle of the tank and seat or maybe offset  a couple of inches to one side or the other.

Offline diesel450

• "Fast with a past"
« Reply #93 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:11:55 »
I like the color and the offset silver stripe idea. maybe one wide and one thin stripe?

Offline noahdog

« Reply #94 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:51:37 »
Yeah, if I go offset I'm thinking maybe a half inch stripe next to a 2 inch one with 1/4-1/2" in between.

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
« Reply #95 on: Mar 09, 2010, 13:00:49 »
My suggestion would be an off-set stripe about 3-4 inches wide in a nice dark gray or charcoal with thin white pin stripes to boarder the transition! Should look great with that crimson! Black would look great as accents on that color as well, createing a nice 4 color scheme overall!

Offline noahdog

« Reply #96 on: Mar 09, 2010, 13:25:31 »
My suggestion would be an off-set stripe about 3-4 inches wide in a nice dark gray or charcoal with thin white pin stripes to boarder the transition! Should look great with that crimson! Black would look great as accents on that color as well, createing a nice 4 color scheme overall!

Pin stripes might be a little beyond my painting skills right now. :-[  This will be my first attempt at painting a bike with a spray gun and compressor. I did the SR250 restoration in all rattle cans which turned out pretty well but I probably spent more on spray paint than I would on cans of paint to run through the sprayer.

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
« Reply #97 on: Mar 09, 2010, 14:00:21 »
You don't have to hand stripe them, lay out your tape for gray stripe, lay the gray, then some clear, remove tape and wet sand, then lay out tape for both "pin stripes" on the transition area, spray white, clear, remove tape, wet sand, clear all again! Done!

Offline noahdog

« Reply #98 on: Mar 09, 2010, 16:16:27 »
That sounds do-able I guess. The next question is do I have the stripe down the fairing as well?

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
« Reply #99 on: Mar 09, 2010, 16:22:21 »
That sounds do-able I guess. The next question is do I have the stripe down the fairing as well?

Well its yours, you don't HAVE to do anything, but if it where mine, that stripe would continue over every paintable surface it crosses! Just makes for a more custom and nice look. Makes it like you left no detail unfinished!

Offline noahdog

« Reply #100 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:13:57 »
Our weekly bike night was a complete cluster fuck this week. I was all excited since my new bar end mirrors were waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home but never got them installed. When I went to cut the end off my throttle grip I realized the throttle tube wasn't all the way onto the bars. This was a huge friggin problem since my brake master cylinder is already almost touching the handle bar risers as it is so there's no room to slide the throttle any further onto the bars. I then spent the rest of the night digging around for some old bars to chop up and some proper OD steel to use as slugs so I can add another couple of inches to the end of my bars and get everything welded on nice and straight. By the time I found all the parts I needed and starting cutting the old bars up for extensions it was too late and we'd had a few too many beers to start welding.  >:(  On the plus side the slugs I'm using should double as bar end weights to prevent some vibration. ;)  Hopefully we'll get the bars welded up this weekend and I'll get some pics taken and posted up for anyone else that might find themselves in the same boat.

Offline noahdog

« Reply #101 on: Mar 25, 2010, 00:30:02 »
Finally a productive bike night. Only one picture unfortunately of the handle bars after I welded extensions for some bar end mirrors. We also got the exhaust mount welded on so I could get it installed. Unfortunately I'd already taken apart all the controls so I could weld up the handle bars so I didn't get it started tonight but hopefully this weekend.

On top of a good night or progress I also found out I'm getting a new project bike.  I haven't seen it yet but my buddy who found it says it's a Kawasaki 400 triple so it sounds like it could be a unique project.  I don't know what year or condition yet but I'm never one to turn down a free bike. ;)  Hopefully I'll get it picked up on sunday and I'll get some pics posted.

Anyway here's the one photo I got tonight of one side of the handle bar extension.

Offline thompsonmx100

• Site Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Mar 25, 2010, 00:57:35 »
so seamless I couldn't even tell you had don anything. Looks good.
always a hint of danger. Like a skanky chick at a bar. You know the diseases she has will kill you, but you still want to ride the shit out of her.
Biker Babes Bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topi

Offline gribbs

« Reply #103 on: Mar 25, 2010, 01:18:05 »
I am 6' 2" and those rear-set locations look sooo gravy!! I cant wait to make some up just like that

Offline gizmoe639

« Reply #104 on: Mar 25, 2010, 04:37:38 »
Hey man i was just curious how exactly you got the bend on the front ''cross bar" on your  seat pan. It looks really nice.