1978 KZ400 B1

RobK

OK, been messing with this machine since June, and knew I had big plans but didn't want to post here until it qualified as a big-arsed project. Well, I think the time has come.

It was a good 50 footer. I actually liked a lot about it as I bought it (for $350). It had some issues however, and well, this is my first bike and first project and figured I can do pretty much anything I want as it's not like this is a '66 Bultaco Montjuic or some other rare beastie.

BTW - I did post a few of these pics a couple months back - so forgive the repitition if you've already seen them, but I wanted this thread to show the whole chronology.

And then the front end...

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Attachments

• KZ400-detail of frame-50.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 657
And here's the front end after a little cleaning and painting, grinding and polishing and some clip-ons. (they were later re-adjusted).

Well the imagination wandered and I started planning and wondering, what about loosing the seat...

Attachments

• IMG_1573.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 624
and the next thing you know you don't really have a bike anymore but a few crates and a frame and a motor (they're lovely to look at those twins aren't they...

Next came grinding off everything that didn't actually contribute to going, stopping and turning.

This is actually fairly nerve-racking if you spy how thin the walls of the tubing are. There are a few areas that aren't really glass smooth, but I wasn't risking another turn of the grinder wheel.

Final pics are today - frame fresh back from powder-coating. I actually starting stripping the paint but then found a locl place that sand-blasted, and powder-coated the frame and swing arm for $150 - really wasn't worth doing it myself.

Next steps are drilling the rotor (somewhat complicated by me breaking one of the rotor bolts off - then snapping the bolt extractor!)

Fun ahead.

I'm also going to glass a new seat/tail. Going for a big 70s race style.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 600
Nice project dude. I think that the bike would definately look better if you chopped up the stock cowl and seat to make your own cafe seat. What other plans do you have? will you be refreshing the suspension? adding rearsets? Are ya gonna change the exhaust? Anyway keep us posted. So far so good!

WOW! $150 for blast and powder? Cheapest i can find around here is $250 and up... Looks good so far!

Deviant1 said:
Nice project dude. I think that the bike would definately look better if you chopped up the stock cowl and seat to make your own cafe seat. What other plans do you have? will you be refreshing the suspension? adding rearsets? Are ya gonna change the exhaust? Anyway keep us posted. So far so good!
Yeah - the cowl wasn't bad but the seat was a real non-starter.

Have rearsets (see photo). They're from a gsxr750 - $40 from craigslist. I welded a couple of plated to the frame and thought I was good to go. When I got the rearsets home, I was really excited about getting them on, because with the clip-ons, the riding position was a little cramped. However, I noticed pretty quickly that the levers were sitting really high, (meaning the I had to nearly touch my shins with my toes to get above them. A quick scan of pics of the source bike revealed that they're supposed to be mounted with the holes nearly vertical - so I'm going to have to fabricate a little triangle out of 1/4 aluminum to get the angle right (which of course now means the linkage for the shift is too short) - so may end up having to fab a new bracket all together - part of the fun (is what I keep telling myself)

The photo also shows the beginning of the form for the new seat. The second photo is the model I'm working from for the seat/cowl. (what a f'ing machine!)

Just ordered new progressive springs for the forks and looking for some kind of deal for progressives in the back too. My thinking is that the way this thing handles is most important. I'm leaving the engine stock (I'm ok with it not being an R1).

I will be putting velocity stacks on the carbs - love the look and it might ad a little bit of power.

I'd like to find a nice 2-into-1 exhaust with expansion chamber - but trying to keep costs down as it is a humble KZ400 after-all and I think there will be other bikes in the future ;)

I also picked up a 4 pot caliper also from a gsxr but I might hold off on the conversion right now and try stainless-steel lines to begin with to see if I can improve the front stoppers, as the conversion looks a little complicated in terms of getting everything to line up as it should.

Speaking of brakes, pic 3 is the template I made last night (got the design from an old Duc Desmo cafe conversion). It was actually surprisingly easy in Illustrator.

I'll be cleaning, polishing and drilling out everything else I can.

When I get the seat done - I'll be painting the tank with it. Probably black and Ivory (maybe with some 19th century Japanese paterns to make it a little different).

I already put Avons on, so rubber is good.

A new cafe tank and Duc Single style fairing would be nice (but probably too expensive).

I'm sure other mods will come, but for now I have a prettty good amount to do!

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 501
VonYinzer said:
WOW! $150 for blast and powder? Cheapest i can find around here is $250 and up... Looks good so far!

Yeah ~$250 is what 3 other places quoted - then tried Roadrunner (which is a big place that I've driven past 1000 times) and was pretty psyched to hear $150 all in for frame an swingarm.

oh yeah - I'm ditching the stock instrument cluster for a bit of aluminum and a old Yamaha tach I picked up from the scrape yard.

So clean,,yet so dirty ;D retain the tank, seat ,tail and bars,,,,,,,,I like it ;),,,,, and I hate kawi's,,,,

OK - been a while since I updated - apologies.

Happily (for me anyway) I've been busy with the machine.

The big thing was the seat -why did I decide I need to make my own seat! (only found out after I finished I could have bought a identical seat to the one I knocked up from Airtech for ~$130) Considering the time I put in I paid myself about 50¢/hr by making, but hey it's part of the process.

Here's a little bit of said process...

Attachments

• The KZ400-rebuild-20.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 522
More pics pic of the seat build ...

(And a pic of body work on the tank - the PO laid it down in one of the canyons above Boulder.

I fabricated a tray for electrical components as I want to ditch the side covers and just have an open frame.

Drilled the rotor...(learned that a countersink bit works better then a larger diameter bit for chamfering).

Saved 120g by drilling. Every little bit helps.

Attachments

• The KZ400-rebuild-25-2.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 305
New tapered roller head bearings from Pyramid in the UK - good firm, very quick, good product - arrived in a week.

At this stage I started getting excited as the KZ had been apart for so long I was starting to think I only had a box of parts. Now it was starting to resemble a bike again.

Attachments

• The KZ400-rebuild-8.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 479
  • The KZ400-rebuild-24.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 307
Back
Top Bottom