Father & Son Project

venmc

Here's our CB200. It's been sitting in the garage for 5 years and it's time has come for a mild cafe build. Here's the bike in its original condition when I brought it home from Kansas via Sturgis. The plan is to do a mild Cafe modification with the ability to return the bike to stock if desired in the future.

The second photo is our photoshop "goal".

Pretty cool, wish my Dad and I built a bike together :D
I see those seats on Ebay pretty frequently, are you going to purchase one of those or build one yourself?
I also see the front fender thrown to the back trick, do you plan to do that as well?

One of the things we want to do is a swing arm mounted rear fender. I was hoping to be able to use the stock fender unmodified. The goal was to rotate the fender around the tire and attach it to the swing arm in the front. Then make a couple of fender struts shaped like a backwards "7's" that attach to the lower shock mount and attach to the stock mount on the fender.

However, we put the fender in place and pulled the shocks and found the the fender mount brackets are just too wide and it will run into the frame. I've got a "new" rusty fender coming with the plan to trim the brackets and make some straight struts and re-chrome. I've seen these bikes with no rear fender and the stock fender cut, but I haven't seen one swing arm mounted. I appreciate any suggestions.

I want to make the seat out of sheetmetal on an original seat pan. It's been said here before the seat and the tank make the bike. The CB200 has a great tank so its up to us to do it justice with a great seat.

Looks good. It would be rad if you kept the OG colours. Drop the headlight a bit to line it up better with the tank once you get your clipons situated.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=7334.0

Nates build is incredible. Look it over if you havent already.

Curbcast said:
Looks good. It would be rad if you kept the OG colours. Drop the headlight a bit to line it up better with the tank once you get your clipons situated.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=7334.0

Nates build is incredible. Look it over if you havent already.

I agree that color looks good, id keep it. Sweet little bike, it'd be hard for me to cut it up, oh nevermind i found my sawzaw. Cool that this is a father son project. My dad's been helping me alot with my bike too.

Nate's build is a work of art and is how I found DTT. His first version was great, his second version was incredible.

In '75 you could get any color you wanted on the CB200 as long as it was gold or silver. The color is definitely 70's chic. I couldn't bring myself to paint over it and the chrome on rims is flawless. I picked up a second tank, rusty rims and beat-up side covers on ebay. They are out at powdercoat/polish/paint.

I never really thought about it but the net result will be two full color sets... Red bike, Gold bike, with a color change in under 30 mins... if we put color on the seat (which I'm leaning towards), I guess we'll need two of those too. I know, its a sickness.

real cool, a lot of life lessons can be learned through this build without even knowing it. have fun guys.

Back
Top Bottom