2 xs850s, 1 cafe racer

midnightcafe

Been Around the Block
Finally starting on my 1980 xs850 project, the first bike i owned since high school. It was given to me by a family friend, no title, chased around for one but never could get one. Instead, I put it aside and worked on my gs750 resto mod which I'm about 70% through.

Backstory:
here's my first bike, a 1980 Yamaha XS850LG Midnight Special. It was last registered in '84 and been in storage since. has 11k milesand started right up after a carb rebuild. However, I was young and stupid and went ahead putting cash into it while not having any paperwork for it. When the time came to get it on the road (legally ;)), I tried all sources-police, insurance company, but I could not claim ownership.
3770354083_f86e17dd78_b.jpg

4159544686_1674daab56_b.jpg

4158806205_dbe5e1d015.jpg

can your dog kickstart a bike? neither can mine, but he'd get the lever and I'd freak him out with the electric starter!

After three years in waiting, I found a 1980 xs850G Special listed on craigslist for $400, got it down to $150 and got the bill of sale and title. FINALLY! It's in worse shape than the midnight special-no exhaust, 29k miles, pitted forks. But it was mine ;D
4159544586_14dcbe0ce8_b.jpg

So my goal here is to first get the titled bike running, swap over any parts off the midnight special, and then start the cafe transformation. For those unfamiliar with the Yamaha xs triple series motorcycle, its a (typical) standard motorcycle from 77-81 with standard shaft drive. the triple cylinder engine has an amazing sound- a mix between the thump of a twin and the roar of an inline 4. Not as popular as the other UJMs of its day, kind of the middle man between the better known xs650 and xs1100. It's gonna be the bike I keep at home and it's going to be a shoestring budget- but not a cheaply build ratbike, I hope to do some welding and use a spray gun for the final finish.

I'll be heading back to school in January and I hope to have the bike broken down by then. I work at the school machine shop so if I have free time I'll be working on this. H I'll post more my ideas and progress when I ge tthe chance. elp and suggestions much appreciated!

Pretty good story man. Glad to see everythings worked out on that title. Musta been heartbreaking to not be able to take her out!

I know how you feel man, I've just tried to find the written tranfer of ownership for my GS850 and couldn't! If I can't find it tomorrow I'll just call the guy up as, luckily, I still have his number.

Anywho, awesome project, I've always been somewhat awestruck by those large triples. Never heard one in real life up close and never ridden one, but I imagine it'd be an experience to remember.

Good luck with the build - boingk

boingk said:
I know how you feel man, I've just tried to find the written tranfer of ownership for my GS850 and couldn't! If I can't find it tomorrow I'll just call the guy up as, luckily, I still have his number.

You mean a receipt? Just write your own - they never check it.

The main difference with this build is that I'm not as meticulous as I was with my gs750. I spent days rebuilding the mikunis for the suzuki, sitting them in parts cleaner, polishing the covers and float bowls. I took the carbs from the yamaha and painted them satin black from a half empty spray can i used on the gs. done. I already cleaned and rebuilt them by then. Since it's snowy weather here in Mass, I had the parts inside at room temperature, brought them outside and sprayed them, then let them dry between coats in my furnace room and when done. Diaphragm covers and the float bowls came out great.

the titled bike got the tank, ignition switch, carbs, and exhaust from the midnight special. Started right up, no problems at all besides running lean with the EMGO pods and in need of rejetting/synch. a little exhaust leak from old exhaust gaskets, W/E I just wanted to ride the thing to make sure it was sound.
4179910375_f840367907_b.jpg

It ran fine, neither the tach or speedo work which is not a problem- got a parts bike! the original speedo came in a bag, not sure if that even works :p I learned to double check the gas level before going out, the bike kept bogging because it was so low and eventually died. I made some neat sliding rear wheel manevers that freaked some neighborhood kids out when I tried kicking it down a gear to get running. FAIL. had to walk to a friends house to pick up some gas, got it up to fifth in a straightaway, and rode home. the open face helmet left a permanent pucker on my face from my eyes drying out, which explains the stares at the mall earlier ::)
here it is in riding trim:
4179910495_0a4bd2e104_b.jpg

up the ramp:
4180672454_0d08c1797d_b.jpg

I love that table. Can sit on my arse comfortably and work on anything. best $40 spent, easy to build, and I've got a place for all the parts when I break it down. Gonna start tearing off all the 80's faux pas accessories and focus on building a cafe seat.

Chiming in just to sign up! I've got an XS650 awaiting some attention. Also I was laying in bed this morning designing that table in my head! :D I'm gonna do the same thing but put a shelf on the bottom to keep parts off the floor. I was also considering putting it on casters so I can push it around as needed.

I've crossed out the idea to use the original seat pan since it wraps over the frame tubes in its hideous cruiser style to make it look like a wide, low seat height. I going to build a seat that's as narrow as the frame and mounts directly to it (somehow :D).

I'm looking to pick up materials to start the cafe seat and could use any pointers or suggestions. From what I've collected across this forum and other sites I'll need:

-lightweight fiberglass cloth

-2 part epoxy resin-because polyester resin will eat the foam base/not as strong (?)

-closed cell foam-pink foam insulation sheets

-expanding foam-to glue the foam block layers together

-painters tape- protect the foam when layering

-body filler/bondo-dnyalite body filler

If I'm missing anything let me know.

I want to build a seat that will house the relocated battery, cdi ignition, fusebox, and wiring between the rear wheel and the carbs. That will go behind the rider in the seat hump and underneath the seat itself, provided if there's clearance between the frame tubing and seat.

I'm still waiting for a forum member to get back to me on selling his standard model tank, I'm sick of looking at that teardrop POS!!

I'd recommend you buy a seat instead of trying to make one, unless you've had some sort of prior experience with fibreglassing such as professional fairing repair or canoe building etc etc. It really is a pain in the ass if you haven't done it before, and will work out about the same as ordering a professionally made one.

Try this guy if you're interested in buying, hes on the site and does good stuff by many accounts: http://www.roccitycafe.com/

Cheers - boingk

boingk said:
I'd recommend you buy a seat instead of trying to make one, unless you've had some sort of prior experience with fibreglassing such as professional fairing repair or canoe building etc etc. It really is a pain in the ass if you haven't done it before, and will work out about the same as ordering a professionally made one.

Try this guy if you're interested in buying, hes on the site and does good stuff by many accounts: http://www.roccitycafe.com/

Cheers - boingk

I know it is difficult to go out and fabricate a seat from fiberglass and like a lot of things, it's easier said then done. But I look forward to a challenge. This bike was not meant to be a bolt on custom, nor a bike of the month winner. I've done bodywork before but it was amateur and some time ago. Plus this bike's dimensions are difficult for a universal seat, I'd rather just do it myself. It's a skill I look forward to learning.

The main issue I'm having is that I'm spreading myself thin among all my bikes-haven't finished my gs750 from the summer (still needs seat, paint, adapt rearsets, sync carbs), need to get the triumph tiger running (needs carb rebuild and new stator rotor), and I haven't gotten a tank yet for this bike and can't start the seat until then. The seat will get done, but maybe not this month.

Roccitycafe does great stuff, but if you are game there are penty of seat building threads here to help through.

i'm very interest in following this. i just picked one up for free, well on a trade. the wiring is all hacked up so i need to wire it and see if i can get it going before i do to much work. you dont have a diagram to hard wire it do you?

Been a while since my last post. I'm back at school so the xs850 project will be finished next winter season. Purchased a standard tank that's really clean and has much better lines than the teardrop tanks. Torn down the Midnight Special, boxed parts and threw the frame/motor/front end to the side.
4219671879_c7020e7ca9_b.jpg

Flirting with the idea of having a 16" rear wheel put on the front. The tire on it right now is too large between the forks and was even rubbing the shaft drive. Needs to be adapted, would need to take it with me to the school machine shop.
4219671965_729fc7cd91_b.jpg

Preacherman, check out www.yamaha-triples.org for wiring diagrams. BTW I have a TON of spare parts if you are interested, let me know

i get the feeling that the front end would wander like a stray dog if you put a 16" wheel and a fat tire on it...

Back
Top Bottom