CX500 Build

Rodders

Been Around the Block
Hi from Australia.

Picked this '83 CX500 up last week. Getting it registered next week and I will be giving it a Cafe style make over in January. Pretty sure I have a linkage system worked out for the gear shifter which will allow me to mount some rear sets back where my pipes are mounted. This is where the passenger pegs would have been mounted originally,,,, I think????
I have a metal fabricator mate that is going to make me a custom seat pan and rear cowl for it. I'll do the seat padding and the easy stuff like fit the clubmans and ride it ;D

rods11.jpg

rods7.jpg

rods6.jpg

nice bike! I like the blacked out motor. i love the cx500's and Gl500's. i have both of them and turned both into into a cafe bikes. They turn out really nice when done right. if you need any help along the way, let me know. Also, go the www.choppercharles.com that is the place to go for the cx500's.

as for the rear peg mounts, you are right. that is where the rear pegs mount up. But if you are going to be doing a cafe build, no need to make room for two....right?

Here's another big fan of Cx500's (and australia)! Looking forward top seeing more of your project. Especially curious to see what you've thought of as rearsets.

i like the cx5's as well...

if that was my bike, i would ditch the instrument cluster and go with some nice small, round tach and speedo. i would then do a small bubble shield around the headlight (i think it would look great on that bike), then i would chop the rear fender down a bit, bob the front fender to practically nothing, and get rid of that rear grab bar.

where in australia are you? i was born in Blacktown, NSW

Man, that bike looks great, to start with. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I love the little front fairing, the gauge cluster kinda meh though, I agree that should be changed. Maybe remove the turn signals, and go to some clipons?

Anyways, great platform.

-Matt

here is how my cx500 finished up. i wish i would have done the motor the way yours is. love the way your bike is painted.
DSC_0023.jpg

and here is my gl500 as it sits now
DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

Thanks guys.

I am out near Bathurst. Have done a few shows down in Blacktown lately.

I am planning to remove the stock seat, grab rail, rear light section and blinkers and the whole rear mudguard. This will all be replaces with a custom Cafe seat section with a new brake light and blinker set up. I am going to start looking for a second hand small bobbed front mudguard to install. Or I will find something to cut down to suit.

Can't decide between clip ons or a set of clubmans for the handlebars. I like them both. Leaning towards cubmans at this this stage.

I will custom make the rear sets and gear linkages as well as the rear brake lever to suit. Having a look at it today I may add some mounting points of my own to attach them to so as to put the pegs exactly where I want them.

Cheers

Rod

*Drool. Was surprised that the cx could be such a great cafe project; I had an opportunity to buy two for $400 :-X maybe sometime in the future..

Man I would love to find me a CX500 turbo. Im so friggin in love with that bike. Id take one over a CBX me thinks.

So Rodders, coming out to Cowra in March? Be good to see a couple of cafe'd CXs there so we could compare ideas and results. My jets turned up yesterday so carbs will come off for a rebuild soon along with pod filters and a tidy up of all the electrics behind the side panels so I shoul dhave an update as well in a week or two :)

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, hoping to get there. I only live an hour and a bit away. You would have to go right past my place to get there.

Your build has been an inspiration so I am hoping to catch up with you at some stage.

Clubmans are ordered.

Cheers

Rod

Got a good set of clipons in a swap from Staffy and I cannot get them to work due to the little factory fairing always being in the F#@*ing way!!!!!!!

No matter where I position the clipons, under the top triple tree, over the top triple tree, back to front, upside down, inside out, the stinking mongrel master clylinder fouls on the bastard fairing.

The only place it works is if I mount them so low I am laying down on the tank.

I wanted to keep that fairing as it is already set up with headlight, blinker, instruments etc.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Taking a break and having another look at it tomorrow.
Might just have to ditch the fairing and buy headlight, blinkers, instruments and make a custom mount. Didn't really want to do that as I am supposed to be on a budget for this bike.

Then again, cranked right down over the tank could be a cool look???

Hmmmm, dropping them way down low 'could' be an option.

Any idea what this is going to do to my handling?

Found a bunch of pics from the '60's showing this set up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/3212900883/in/set-72157613288461253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/3301640438/in/set-72157613288461253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/3301639972/in/set-72157613288461253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/sets/72157613288461253/show/

Check them all out. Well worth looking at.

Rodders said:
Got a good set of clipons in a swap from Staffy and I cannot get them to work due to the little factory fairing always being in the F#@*ing way!!!!!!!

No matter where I position the clipons, under the top triple tree, over the top triple tree, back to front, upside down, inside out, the stinking mongrel master clylinder fouls on the bastard fairing.

The only place it works is if I mount them so low I am laying down on the tank.

I wanted to keep that fairing as it is already set up with headlight, blinker, instruments etc.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Taking a break and having another look at it tomorrow.
Might just have to ditch the fairing and buy headlight, blinkers, instruments and make a custom mount. Didn't really want to do that as I am supposed to be on a budget for this bike.

Then again, cranked right down over the tank could be a cool look???

Hmmmm, dropping them way down low 'could' be an option.

Any idea what this is going to do to my handling?

Found a bunch of pics from the '60's showing this set up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/3212900883/in/set-72157613288461253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/3301640438/in/set-72157613288461253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/3301639972/in/set-72157613288461253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/sets/72157613288461253/show/

Check them all out. Well worth looking at.

When I was mucking about with mine before any work I thought of keeping the fairing, I took it off and bolted it under the mounts it uses instead of on top of them. This dropped it down about an inch and if you slide the forks up through the triple trees you may be able to mount the clipons above. You'll at least have to drop the headlight a bit if you have the clipons real low as it'll look a bit odd. Oh, and it'sgoing to be soooooooo uncomfortable, you'll need to move the pegs way back :)

Cheers
Steve

Hi Miob, looks good. Like what you have done with the seat.

Hi Steve, I did try dropping the section down. Still fouled the master cylinder though. A smaller brake master cyclinder would solve my problems. I will go looking for one during the week and see what I can come up with.

This is where I got to today.

Dropped the forks 40mm and damn those clipons are low. I like the way it looks with my feet back on the passenger pegs mount. Not that practicalfor everyday riding though ;D

When I get the master cylinder sorted I will lift the clipons up higher. Going to leave it this way for the week though.

f1.jpg

f3.jpg

f2.jpg

f4.jpg

^^^that makes my back hurt just looking at it. I like that though looked good right from the get go. I have to say I never really cared that much for these bikes thought they were weird lookin but you guys have definately changed my perspective on them. Actually kinda kickin myself for not checkin one out at a pawn shop a while back.

Thanks guys,

Took it for a good ride today.

Dropping the forks 40mm and having the clipons that low means it really handles. I was surprised how well it went round corners. It will never be close to a modern sportsbike but it was an amazing amount of fun. I was starting to really get over the side and get the knee down towards the end.

My back handled it really well............. My neck on the other hand sign0182 I have a bad neck and it was a bit painful towards the end.

So, biting the bullet and re-doing the front end so I can move the clipons up to below the top triple clamp.

Perhaps this thread now needs moving to the Current Restorations section?

a3-1.jpg

a4-1.jpg

Fixed the position of the clip ons. They are now mounted right below the top triple clamp. Much better position for riding. Bar end mirrors are ordered and hopefully won't be too far away.

Forks have been dropped 40mm through the triple tree and the bike handles a lot better.

Still a bit of work to do, but it is getting there.

DSCF0188.jpg

DSCF0189.jpg

Slowly adding bits.

Bar end mirrors put on today. $26 delivered. They are pretty good for the price. Aluminium, not plastic.

Had two new bar end weights turned up with the slot for the mirror bracket to attach to. Looks pretty neat.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

I apologize for resurrecting this older thread but was hoping miob might comment on the exhaust he posted here.

So miob, what's the story on the pipes? Custom bent or is that a off the shelf set-up? I haven't seen that shape before on a off the shelf unit.

miob said:
Another CX build. Cool! Needless to say that I love the CX. Here's a mildly cafe-ed one I build for my Girlfriend:

img4679k.jpg

Also turned one into a chopper together with a friend of mine a while back:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9348/img8587.jpg

I'm going to closely follow this thread.

MikeT307 said:
I apologize for resurrecting this older thread but was hoping miob might comment on the exhaust he posted here.

So miob, what's the story on the pipes? Custom bent or is that a off the shelf set-up? I haven't seen that shape before on a off the shelf unit.

my guess is motad 2-1. i know they're sold in europe, but i've never seen them in the states. advantage of them is they are designed so you don't have to reject.

personally, i'd like to seem more pics of his cx bobber.

Back
Top Bottom