T500/GT500 Two-stroke two-up cafe build

moth_boy

Here's some pics of my current project.

Here's what I started with, a slightly ratty t500, running a gt500 engine and fork with some carb and electrical issues that finally got more or less ironed out this summer. I had fun bombing around downtown detroit this fall on it. I do still like the big 19" front wheel and red seat, and am kind of sad to be tearing her apart.

URL=http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy307/moth_boy/?action=view&current=t500.jpg]

th_t500.jpg
[/URL]

Just spent the afternoon in the basement doing some extreme violence to my frame to get this tank to sit right.

Hard to get a good pic indoors with that tank. The tank looks like it will sit fine with a set of bigger rubber pucks and a strap welded across the frame. The tank was designed for an sr500, so I'll have to see if I can find pucks for similar yamahas.

The overall idea is to make a two-up capable cafe, like the ducati sport classic biposto or the new triumph with the removable cover over the passenger seat.

Shape wise, I hope to have it look something like this:

With a recessed headlight like this. Anyone know where this fairing is from? It looks a little different than the 7" airtech ducati 900ss.

So aside from replacing a lot of rubber pieces, I'll be adding gt550 sliders to the front fork so I can run double gs1100 discs. The sliders didn't polish up that well, but this isn't going to be a show bike.

The next thing to do other than fab in the strap for holding the back of the tank on, is figure out how to mount the fuel tap. I think it's going to be dangerously close to my heads.

I don't think I'm going to do anything to radical to the engine, as I hope to have it on the road early in the year. I have a spare engine I might build up into a screamer with chambers, etc next year.

I do have to figure out whether to run a smaller front wheel. Anyone dropped down from a 19" to a 18" or a 17" and regretted it?

Anyways, more info as it progresses. Constructive critiscism welcomed.
JD

Looking real good so far, I'm interested to see how you pull off the two person seat, as that is something I have been thinking about and haven't really come up with anything real decent looking solution in my head yet. Really digging the tank as well, looks good polished.

Cool! Another T500 and you're local(ish) too!

Haven't even started on my T500 yet, but I'll be watching your progress. Was thinking about doing the same front-end swap.

Nice! I always welcome another 2 stroke with open arms! ;D ;D

You should get slightly quicker steering switching from a 19" to an 18" front rim. You might really enjoy that! I did the same with my H2 and it was still plenty stable on the hiway and moderately more nimble on the streets. A 17" would move you furthur towards quicker steering and less stability at higher speed (all other things remaining equal). I don't know how far you wanna go with it. I have decided to go all the way to a 16" front with an 18" rear on my H2. I've heard a variety of opinions on that! I'll let everyone know how this works when I finally ride it later this Spring! ::)

In any case, nice bike! 8)

Good idea building up a "Monster 500" with the other engine! 8) You'd have the best of both worlds then! That would be fun! ;D

Keep posting! :)

Very nice start, be great to see the finished item. I was offered a basket case T500 a while back but had to decline it due to lack of dosh... kinda regret it now, although there is a tasty RD400 floating around my area in somones musty shed.

Goodluck with the build man, and yeah definitely gotta run chambers on this beast!

Cheers - boingk

so glad you like the look of my bike,the fairing is a ducati 900ss replica ,we are Titan Performance from the U.K.checkout our website www.classic2strokesuzuki for all sorts of t500 cafe racer parts,including SEATS ,FAIRINGS ,mild steel os stainless steel EXPANSION CHAMBERS, REARSETS and many other trick bits

moth_boy said:
Here's some pics of my current project.

Here's what I started with, a slightly ratty t500, running a gt500 engine and fork with some carb and electrical issues that finally got more or less ironed out this summer. I had fun bombing around downtown detroit this fall on it. I do still like the big 19" front wheel and red seat, and am kind of sad to be tearing her apart.

URL=http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy307/moth_boy/?action=view&current=t500.jpg]

th_t500.jpg
[/URL]
:D

Just spent the afternoon in the basement doing some extreme violence to my frame to get this tank to sit right.

Hard to get a good pic indoors with that tank. The tank looks like it will sit fine with a set of bigger rubber pucks and a strap welded across the frame. The tank was designed for an sr500, so I'll have to see if I can find pucks for similar yamahas.

The overall idea is to make a two-up capable cafe, like the ducati sport classic biposto or the new triumph with the removable cover over the passenger seat.

Shape wise, I hope to have it look something like this:

With a recessed headlight like this. Anyone know where this fairing is from? It looks a little different than the 7" airtech ducati 900ss.

So aside from replacing a lot of rubber pieces, I'll be adding gt550 sliders to the front fork so I can run double gs1100 discs. The sliders didn't polish up that well, but this isn't going to be a show bike.

The next thing to do other than fab in the strap for holding the back of the tank on, is figure out how to mount the fuel tap. I think it's going to be dangerously close to my heads.

I don't think I'm going to do anything to radical to the engine, as I hope to have it on the road early in the year. I have a spare engine I might build up into a screamer with chambers, etc next year.

I do have to figure out whether to run a smaller front wheel. Anyone dropped down from a 19" to a 18" or a 17" and regretted it?

Anyways, more info as it progresses. Constructive critiscism welcomed.
JD

Back
Top Bottom