1982 Yamaha XJ750 Seca "Evil Twin"

dakine_surf

"Stay Thirsty my Friends"
So I guess this will be the official build thread for my new winter project... I know, I know... is it really a winter project when it is 75 out side? Gimme a break it is January.

I started with aspirations to build a small cc Honda, a cl175 or a cb125... but I have yet to get my hands on one, still looking ???

Anyway, named the "Evil Twin" by my Mom when she heard it the first time :eek:. It was a parts bike for another XJ750 project "The Dirty Canadian" which is white, and it is a dark blue so the name stuck... There is no baffle in the Kerker 4-1 so this thing screams. Could possibly be one of my new favorite sounds, but WAY to loud for the street. ;D Anyway shaft drive, 497lbs (as it sits), and 85hp.
Beginings2.jpg

Beginings1.jpg

Beginings3.jpg

Beginings4.jpg

I have been waiting to do anything to this because it was originally only going to be used for parts, but it is too clean to just leave it like that. ;)
It was originally stolen, crashed, etc. The paperwork is now clean except the prev owner no oped it years ago then took it for a ride and got a ticket. ::)
I just walked out to our Barn/soon to be shop and saw a frame... guess the someone loves me ;) So it looks like a frame up resto is the plan
Beginings5.jpg

The Seca frame is a bit different than the maxim frame and has lines similar to the CB750, and I really like the look of the YICS 750 motor... it is pretty mean looking. This was originally going to be a Cafe themed bike but lately I think I want to give it a vintage fighter kinda look but it will be a form follows function build and borrow from many styles... something similar to some of the wrenchmonkees z1 bikes. Gonna adhere to making things lighter, and hopefully the rest will fall into place. The Shaft drive poses obstacles, but in the end it will be much different from anything else on the road. And should be a fun build

Stay tuned,
Micah

Sounds like you might want to checkout my build I did a well i'm calling it a cafe Fighter Upside down forks frame was already a monoshock so I put on an 05 gsxr rearend with an r1 shock rearsets and a cafe seat and a cb 500t tank. where are you located at?

thompsonmx100 said:
Sounds like you might want to checkout my build I did a well i'm calling it a cafe Fighter Upside down forks frame was already a monoshock so I put on an 05 gsxr rearend with an r1 shock rearsets and a cafe seat and a cb 500t tank. where are you located at?
I am on the Central Coast of California... Santa Barbara area, it is about 90 minutes north of Los Angeles.

Yeah I have seen your build... in fact I have been following it closely, really good stuff and very similar to what I want.

The basic idea that I have is a fighter built around a mean looking air cooled motor. I figure the 750 looks big and with a small tank it could look huge. Borrow a few elements from the cafe scene, a few from the bobbe,r shake well and serve cold... u get the idea.

I don't know about usd forks yet, I have toyed with the idea... I know I can get a 91-95 GSXR front end to fit with a little work, so that might be in store if I can find a good donor bike.

The real first step is to get my shop ready and organize a good space to start working. I am in luck to have a great space, it has just been used as storage for the last 3 or 4 years since we built it so lots of junk must go!

You can make any set of forks fit. You just need to swap stems if you have access to a press it really isn't that difficult. The donor front end will probably hav a bigger stem so you'll need to have a sleeve made then press the stem sleeve and triple together. Voila a perfect fit.

I have done a little research using a thread that was posted in here a while back from the ohio cafe racer site. In theory I can actually just press my steam into a 91-95 GSXR front end and it will be a bolt in setup... but my experience says that nothing ever is that easy, so i am approaching with caution. I have to check the brakes and the fork tubes... if they are straight i might leave them and do something with the existing front end and just get new progressive units fabed up to my spec.

Hell yeah, another XJ750 ! I might as well open my own thread for mine ; I'm just starting dismantling the thing, but it seems we're heading the same way style-wise, I could use some inspiration/motivation ;D
...Can't wait to see what you'll do with yours !

Sorry for bumping a dead thread, but I'm just curious to what the outcome was?

I just bought an XJ750 Cafe.

Back
Top Bottom