Project " Twisted Metal " two stroke

Cafe Freak

I have started a RD350 based project. Started out with a 75 RD350 frame from evilbay, detabbed the frame and graphed mounts for a Banshee motor and installed it. Fabbed a monoshock hoop to a RD400 swingarm ( its longer than the 350) and added a monoshock. the plan is to end up with about 80hp after the motor build .

Most likely I will be using drilled RD400 mags and Banshee t5 pipes exposed with the stingers exiting under the seat through the tail section.

Tank, tail, cowl and belly pan will be made by me out of aluminum and left natural with alot of exposed rivets. This will really test my alum fab skills...I will post some early pics and a drawing of what I am aiming for but I am trying for a lite, fast, liquid cooled twostroke styled after a Shinya Kimura bike with a vintage look. Hence the name Twisted Metal........Cafe Freak

Attachments

• 50% uyguytg.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 1,290
I like the Banshee motor alot, plenty power to unleash with chambers, porting, stroker cranks, and big bore jugs etc and all avaliable easily ( I didnt say cheap ) . As far as a radiator, I think I will be using a newer ninja radiator as the size appears to be about rite......

I plan on running a mix of TX500 and RD350 lower fork tubes on the front with RD350 uppers, this will allow me to run dual disc on the front....This is what it looks like on my other build.....Cafe Freak

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 1,188
This is really great stuff. I love two strokes, specifically the RDs. Will you talk a bit more about what you did to get the banshee motor in the RD frame? Where did you find a banshee motor? What's the displacement of the motor? Whew!

Finally--on a different note--what wheel rate did you design into your mono system? That one of the better designs I've seen. You spent some work on that.

--Thanks, Chris

motofiaccone said:
This is really great stuff. I love two strokes, specifically the RDs. Will you talk a bit more about what you did to get the banshee motor in the RD frame? Where did you find a banshee motor? What's the displacement of the motor? Whew!

Finally--on a different note--what wheel rate did you design into your mono system? That one of the better designs I've seen. You spent some work on that.

--Thanks, Chris
I will post some more frame mod pics once I resize them, as far as the Banshee motor I purchased two off evilbay with smoked cranks and was already sitting on a good RZ350 motor..The stock Banshee is 350cc twin water cooled twostroke but with stock crank and bigbore juggs 400+ cc add long rod/ long stroke crank one can reach well over 600cc . as far as rates for the wheels I followed a vintage roadrace pattern on a bike I purchased, nothing fancy yet just good old garage geometry...Here is a pic ov the vintage racer from the 70's I purchased from the orig owner and racer....Cafe Freak

Attachments

• rd350 25.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 1,067
longer connecting rods will not change displacement at all.......all connecting rods are are a direct connection so its change your compression ratio if used wit that same piston, it would just move the stroke a little higher or a little lower in the jug.

forcefanajd said:
longer connecting rods will not change displacement at all.......all connecting rods are are a direct connection so its change your compression ratio if used wit that same piston, it would just move the stroke a little higher or a little lower in the jug.
Correct, I was just refering to it as one of the many options out there for the Banshee motor although it does change your rod ratio therefore changing the charachteristics of the motor. The long rod config on the stock stroke crank is joined with the Blaster piston as it has a shorter pin heigth. Some do claim this to increase volume but I am not sure why, I have not researched it..Cafe Freak.

As your personal advisor I'll jump on board here and tell you to stick to HONDAS. Come on I know you can do it. Somewhere deep down inside you (and your garage) is a Honda........If you can still find it. ::)
But then again If I want progress updates I can just drive over to your house. lol
HMMM and you say I change my mind to much? Nice drawing I can dig it even if it is a 2-smoke yammadinger ;D

AH finally its warm enough here to pull some bikes out and work in the garage again..I will update with some more pics as soon as the camera battery is charged. Just cut off the back half of the frame and will fab up a trellaced tail section and start trying different tanks and tails......Also picked up some yamaha rd500 rearsets and fzr 400 wheels. I am going to try and turn a front 17 by 3.00 on the back and run zr rated ( 159 mph ) tires front and rear , this bike will go to Bonneville when its done. As far as a tank I think I will be stretching a XS750 tripple tanh at the rear and turning the rear extention into a oil tank since I will be running the RZ350 crank case with the oil injection......Cafe Freak Here is a before and after, still alot to do but I am out of time for now......

Man that thing is gonna be crazy. Is the rear really that jacked up or is it just the angle of the pic? looks cool though can't wait to see it finished up.

The rear is jacked up but not as much as it looks, it is on jack stands and the rear tire is off the ground 1/2 inch or so so it is totaly unsprung....Cafe Freak

Back
Top Bottom