Ok, so I'm resurrecting this thread to update some of the other mods I have done in the past year and what I am doing now.
One of the many things I had to do last year was to fix my charging issue, the first was to figure out why my voltage output was going crazy.
I ended up pulling a newer (19982) rectifier regulator out of an Yamaha XJ750 Seca that I had, and with help from Pamco Pete himself, wired it and modified my bike to take the newer unit.
Part of the job was to install nylon screws on the brushes and do some minor rewiring.
This is the rec/reg. units I mounted on the side of the battery tray.
I later had other recurring charging issues where there was not or little voltage output, after more research and work, it turned out my brushes were extremely worn. Replaced those and I was back in the game.
I even started to build a fiberglass seat for the bike (not yet finished)
I rode the bike with its tired engine for another few months.
I was having issues with acceleration, I jetted and rejected and even bought Mikuniís in the end, nothing helped.
I had 95 psi compression on the left cylinder and 100 on the right cylinder.
Finally I worked up the will to do the job, and my 12year old son helped me a lot
I took my head and jugs to the machine shop.
I saw that my timing was off due to the cam chain, almost ten degrees.
This is with the cam at 12 oíclock. Look at the relation to the crank, not lining up.
In the meanwhile I found a cracked ring on my left cylinder, and my chain was badly stretched.
This is the old cam chain sideways.
And the new one
I bought a set of rear sets from member Durgam_K (Chris) and I polished the set before installing.
I also removed the old big tail light I had on my license plate bracket, trimmed the bracket and bought a set from Harrison specialties.
Then I decided to cross drill my rotors.
Got my parts back from the machine shop, I installed my new pistons, rings, cam chain, chain guide, gaskets, seals, valves. I donít have pics of the whole process, just these.
Now the cam and crank lined up with the new chain.
Slapped the motor back on the frame.
Installed new pipes and mufflers,
Found out chrome was peeling the next day.
Took the new pipes back of so I can get a refund (I did)
Then I installed my blued pipes back on.
And here she is as of August.
Iíve since cleaned my old pipes with Blue Job and they look much better.
Other than that Iíve been riding a lot here and there.
Now I am working on a new battery tray for my lower profile Shorai Battery and relocating the regulator/Rectifier unit and also relocating the starter relay to stream line the bike a little more. I just want to remove that old battery tray and clean things up.
This is what I have so far. I will get that on tonight hopefully.
Well I think that is about it so far.