Mmmm... 72' GT550 W/ pics

Swapmeet Louie

Put some metal in yer eye....
Ya, so I'm at the cycle salvage grabbing a couple parts for EMB (motor took a crap), and out of the corner of my eye I spot a gt550. 100% complete, but super sun baked. kicked it over and to my surprise found it had killer compression. Then as I turn to walk away to talk to the owner of the yard I trip over a complete CBR600. Then came a vision. Gt550 w/ cbr600 front end, dual disc w/ nissin calipers. Boxed mono swing arm with rear disc and nissin caliper and the cbr rearsets.

I am so excited to get started on this It's going to be hard to stay focused on the speed heap. Anyway, I will post some pics tomorrow.

Louis

Re: Mmmm... 72' GT550

Go buy a loto ticket while you are at it. You are walking around lucky.

Is this the part where the bike rolls in your garage and falls into 500 pieces. Sounds cool. Post some pics of what you got.

Your vision is shared....only my vision is missing 50cc's and 1 cylinder.

GT550's are cool, my Dad had one back in the early 80's, toured all over on it. Had a bitchin Blue paint job with Bass Boat flake....and a 3' tall sissy bar on it LOL. I can remember going over a bump and bouncing off the seat, came down and the sissy bar was caught in my helmet....made for a bit of a scene as it was choking the shit out of me as the helmet strap got rather tight :eek: The old man laughed like hell...after he got me loose ;D

Great, now I've got another F@#$ing thread to watch. Thanks.

haha... Thanks guys. I'm super stoked. I am still waiting in the cbr parts to be pulled. And I'm not real sure what they are going to charge me for them yet. But, I did bring home the GT for $200.

Diesel,
You dont have anything better to do anyway..... Do you? hahahahahahaha <im funny

I have plenty better to do but I avoid it all and hang out here. Right now the contemplation is strip frame with chemical stripper or spend $40 and build a blast cabinet big enough to hold the fame except I have no where to put it.

Great find on the GT. If they are pulling the parts without a firm price then I think you have the upper hand in that negotiation.

diesel450 said:
I have plenty better to do but I avoid it all and hang out here. Right now the contemplation is strip frame with chemical stripper or spend $40 and build a blast cabinet big enough to hold the fame except I have no where to put it.

Great find on the GT. If they are pulling the parts without a firm price then I think you have the upper hand in that negotiation.

These guys treat me awesome.... I'm not too worried about the price. And I would use chemical stripper. Blasting is a pain in the ass. and you have to listen to your compressor run all day.< I hate that! brush it on, scotchbrite off, rinse w/ hose. done GET TO WORK

SDC11240.jpg

SDC11238.jpg

SDC11237.jpg

SDC11239.jpg

SDC11241.jpg

SDC11242.jpg

Good get Louie... I gotta come out your way to go to the MC junk yards... The guys around here are kinda dicks.

Swapmeet Louie said:
Ya, so I'm at the cycle salvage grabbing a couple parts for EMB (motor took a crap), and out of the corner of my eye I spot a gt550. 100% complete, but super sun baked. kicked it over and to my surprise found it had killer compression. Then as I turn to walk away to talk to the owner of the yard I trip over a complete CBR600. Then came a vision. Gt550 w/ cbr600 front end, dual disc w/ nissin calipers. Boxed mono swing arm with rear disc and nissin caliper and the cbr rearsets.

I am so excited to get started on this It's going to be hard to stay focused on the speed heap. Anyway, I will post some pics tomorrow.

Louis
OH!!! The Cafe purists here will hate you, they will scold you, and tell you it's not true! I say F 'em and build it for you!
Lots of good info here! http://vintagefighters.yuku.com/

Hey Louie, I think there's a new member from Ohio that got a 550. Great score man!

what happened with this project. i just got a 550 today. only thing is mine was 250 and it was locked but but had a good title. pulled the head and the center piston had a small hole. now onto finding pistons for this beast.

Back
Top Bottom