CB450 Cafe Racer

sweenz

So i got the bike from my dad as a present. It did run at one point but not anymore. So the first things first, have to get the engine off of the bike and get it towrn down. It needs a little work one the frame but i think iam going to leave some of it rough.

Attachments

• DSCF2050.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 329
So the bike is coming a long slowly but its moving. I got the motor off of the bike and finnaly got the cyclinders removed. That was a project in its self. the cylinders are rusted up. Some one left the fuel on and gas in the tank. Now i just need to get the cylinders bored out. Just waiting on money.

Sounds like you have plenty to do. Dig in with both hands, and most of all enjoy it. This process is lik raising a kid sometimes. It is a lot of work, cost alot, but if you are patinet and you care enough you will be both surprised and proud of the results.

So i got the handle bars on and got the holes drilled in them. They turned out nice i think. What do you think.

Nice. What kind of bars are those? They don't look like they would be very comfortable. Luckily if you do end up not liking them, bars are easy to change. Good start. What's next?

They are the bars that wre on the bike. There are pretty comfortable. They look real good from the front. So far it looks like the motor is next. Other than the cylinders the engine does not need any work. So iam waiting on money to come in to get the cylinders bored over, so in the mean time iam painting the block and head. So i have aready apint the center of the engine with aluminum paint, evey thing except the side covers. But i need a little help in what i should do with the side covers. the aluminum paint looks rael good, so should i paint them or should i polish them. Keep in mind that the cylinders are going to be black with the edges of the fins polished. So let me know.

Like this?

DSC00131.JPG

Polishing is a pain and you will have to maintain it (repolish it) from time to time. If you are happy with the aluminum paint, go for it. However, if you want the supershiny polished look, there is no substitute. My silver bits have a brushed finish and then are getting cleared. It's a LOT of work though.

I thought those looked like flipped bars. I have a feeling once you start riding it, you'll find they are not comfortable and you will want them to angle back a bit more. But then again, you may love it. Everyone is different.

While you have the engine apart, check the valve seats and the cam followers. I had low compression due to valve leakage and I had to replace one of my exhaust cam followers because it was overly worn.

You gonna put rearsets on her?

Yeah i am going to put rear seats on it. Have to save up the money though. CB450 rear sets are hard to find, and when you do they are not cheap. The engine was just gone thru before me and my dad got the bike, so the engine is good. And if not, no big deal, i ll fix it. right now, just need to get it running.

sweenz said:
Yeah i am going to put rear seats on it. Have to save up the money though. CB450 rear sets are hard to find, and when you do they are not cheap.

Ummmm, huh? As far as I know, CB450 rearsets don't exist. I'm adding some mounting tabs to my frame for a set of R1 rearsets I got off ebay for $30.

Now i know that they are a little pricey, but since they are a dirrect bolt on i see them working out well and worth the cost. Since i dont have the time to make any, or the equip.

Ah, they look like standard universal rearsets that will go through the passenger peg bracket with the connecting rods already worked out for you.

You should contact Dime City Cycles to see if they could put something together for you. I know Herm has already designed some for his 450.

904-662-1414

They are still working on their website...

www.dimecitycycles.com

Try searching for post from thewingdpiston and Herm21 if you want to see some of their work. If you've seen some badass 450 on here, it was probably one of theirs.

Back
Top Bottom