gn 400 single cilinder caferacer project!!

alazzurra

hi guys.
i'm building a caferacer from an '80 gn400 single cilinderchopper for the brother of my wife.
first i thought it was an impossible job, because a gn400 is a real chopper.
so i have to upper the back and lower the front. the project is a bit further now. the frame is almost ready for sandblasting and powdercoating, and the tank and seat are ready for paint.
let me know what you think guys.
the pictures wil tell you the story from the beginning till now.
regards, rien, the netherlands

ps. sorry for my bad english!!

gn400_10.jpg

this is how we bought the bike, very bad condition as you can see
gn400_11.jpg

gn400_12.jpg

cleaned up the engine
gn400_10.jpg

tank and seat arrived
as you can see, enough work to do bud the looks are there!!
gn400_22.jpg

this is how it's going to be
gn400_23.jpg

Fantastic! Makes me want to go out and work on my SR500 single. I love singles.

hi guys,

this weekend we mounted the new frontfork and mounted the carb whit the k&n filter and thit some experiments whit the exhaust system.
this week we are going to welt some extra brackets on the frame for the tank and seat, and after that we take the whole bike apart for sanblasting and powdercoating the frame. we've dicided that this is the definit shape of the bake and we are going to fill up the whole between the tank and the frame, whit some nice alu panels.
so guys.tell us what you think!!
gn400_28.jpg

gn400_29.jpg

hi guys,
some new updates, the frame is back from powdercoating, so we started up whit rebuilding the bike, see for yourself and give us your opinion!!
regards rien
gn400_33.jpg

gn400_34.jpg

gn400_35.jpg

Very good, I love the big Suzuki singles. I am interested to see how you will handle gap under the seat and rear of the tank.

looks good. Love the seat and tank combo. The color is cool. What color are you gonna paint the seat and tank? keep it up.

thompsonmx100 said:
looks good. Love the seat and tank combo. The color is cool. What color are you gonna paint the seat and tank? keep it up.

the paintwork is going to be white with a bleu racing stripe over it, and maybe some golden suzuki logo's on both sides of the tank.
greetz rien

Hey by chance can i get some info on your seat and tank combo? I am also beginning a GN400 project and have had some trouble finding seats. Any information on where you got parts and stuff would be great. Looks awesome so far.

Thanks,

Massood

Noticed you changed the front forks from the leading axel, any reason? I am getting a Suzuki soon and wonder about the stock style forks.

That's one very harmonious Cafe Racer.

If it were mine - I'd get rid of the gap between the seat base and frame hoop and look for an LS650 swept back exhaust - but then I'm a child of the 60's !

Either way - it's a credit to your imagination.

I was going to do the same deal to an LS650 Savage until I decided to drop a TT600 lump in my spare XS500 rolling chassis.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Noticed you changed the front forks from the leading axel, any reason? I am getting a Suzuki soon and wonder about the stock style forks.
i switched the fork legs for some forklegs from a gs 450. the reason is that the stock frontfork is to large and the axel mount is on front of the fork. so i changed them to get a lower bike and to shorten the wheelbase. it rides a lot better like this.
greetz rien

beachcomber said:
That's one very harmonious Cafe Racer.

If it were mine - I'd get rid of the gap between the seat base and frame hoop and look for an LS650 swept back exhaust - but then I'm a child of the 60's !

Either way - it's a credit to your imagination.

I was going to do the same deal to an LS650 Savage until I decided to drop a TT600 lump in my spare XS500 rolling chassis.
i want to ged rid of the gap under the seat, bud i really had to make it likes this because otherwise the bike was getting way to small.
the idea is to fill up the gap whit some nice polished alu panels.
for myself i like the exhaust a lot, i think it's very racy

revheadgl said:
Hi,

Dont apologise for your english, its very good. Way better than my Dutch!!!!

Pretty sure we didnt get that model here in Aus. Very interesting.

Looking good, my only concern is the gap under the seat. Is there any way you can get the back of the tank down so the seat sits lower?

What colour were you planning? I think it would look great in a pearl white? with some matching blue somewhere perhaps?
the plan is like what you offer, pearl white whit a matching bleu racing stripe.
in a couple of weeks she's going to the paintshop. can't wait;)

Ala,
Nice ride. I'm in the process building a rat from a GN400. I am having trouble locating an aftermarket clamp on air filter like the one on you bike. What are you running on yours? Do you know the make and model number?
Thanks,
French

Back
Top Bottom