CL175 Codname: Orange

LittleKip

Sleep??
$400

20567_703529120033_19224386_41377775_1170586_n.jpg

Plus a third Parts bike (75% there -no engine-)

Neither are running, the motor on the blue one is froze.

I am just going to restore the orange one and get it running. The blue one I will cafe once the first bike is up.
The orange is a 1970 CL175 K? 4 Ithink, produced in late 69. The engine turns over and seems to have good compression. The tank was rusted pretty bad and is now getting flushed at a radiator shop. The left side-cover is broke at one of the top "clips", Needs new turn signals all the way around. Needs new Cables, But Came with the tool kit ! :D The carbs are off, both were varnished so bad the slides only came out after 2 days of soaking. They are now torn apart and soaking in Carb Cleaner (minus the rubber and plastic bits). A little nervous as this is the first time I've torn apart a Carb. Hope I remember to get them back together properly :p. Right now I'm just waiting on the rebuild kits to arrive. Then we'll see how she fares since sitting since '02. Any advice on starting her up? Don't want to screw anything up cause I didn't know better.

The Second is a 1968 CL175 Sloper. Unfortunately the Engine is froze. From the stickers she's been sitting since '82. The exhaust manifolds are not bolted up, though the exhaust pipes are against the engine, there are several bolts missing from the right side engine cover, and the right side Spark plug is rusted. So far I've just sprayed some Penatrating oil in the spark plug holes. . .
There is some minor corrosion in the gas tank, the seats on both bikes are shot, and they both need new cables.

Any thoughts?

This last year I bought a 76 Cb550f, and I am almost done with her. However the engine had already been rebuilt, as well as the carbs. So I've only had to worry about the bodywork and the electrical. Now all that is really left is to kreem the tank and get a new title for it ::)... But, in the process I discovered that really love working on bikes. So when I came across these two 175's I figured it was worth it just for the experience of tearing them apart and trying to put them back together.

I'll post some more photos soon. I am working on the bikes between work, classes and my new wife :D.

Re: Dual Cl 175 Builds

Glad to see a couple more 175's on here! Hell, that 68 sloper could be a twin to mine.

So there was a lot to take in earlier, but if you need any help be sure to just let us know. Don't know if you saw it, but there is a collection of small Honda builds that might help out too

Swapmeet Louie said:
400 bucks was a score.....
Sure was... Theres guys on here that spend twice that on a tank and seat! Throw some pics up of that 550 man! It does seem like these 175s are everywhere now. There the new 350!

I'll be work'n on both the 550 and the CL's this weekend, I'll get some more pics up then. But for now... here are some pics I took last night. Didn't do anything but check the carbs and put them in some fresh cleaner to soak.

Found what might (?) be a contributing factor to the problem with the sloper;
There are no bolts holding the top of the motor to the frame!
2-5-10008.jpg

That and the bolts missing from the engine case...
2-5-10011.jpg

and the rust where the exhaust meets the engine...
2-5-10012.jpg

...have me worried, never torn an engine apart... BUT that's why I wanted it, I'm after the educational value ::)

Any tips for cleaning the carbs, they've been soaking in cleaner for a couple of days and my kits should arrive the beginning of next week.

I also managed to get the seat off of the sloper last night, took me more than a few minutes and some choice words before I figured out how to get it off. I had convinced myself that it had the same latch as the '70. Felt like a jackass when I realized they're just bolted on. :p

Was surprised with how clean the seat pan is...
2-5-10027.jpg

Compared to the seat...
2-5-10028.jpg

Also discoverd this...
2-5-10022.jpg

...a line of rust where the seat had worn the paint :-\, oh well, think'n of a color scheme for this on already anyway.

Anywho... I'll be back working on them this afternoon and tomorrow (at least I plan too).
I'll remember to take the Digital camera (srry for the quality of pics from my phone).

Checked the DC and found some photos of the "Archeological Dig"
When I picked up the Bikes my and my buddy had to shovel/chop them out of 10" of snow and Ice, and the tires were flat and frozen into the ground... what fun.

This is where they had been sitting, along with an XL250 between them:
2-5-10032.jpg

and some other shots from "the Dig"...
2-5-10035.jpg

2-5-10033.jpg

The Bin has the rest of the parts bike in it.
2-5-10034.jpg

2-5-10039.jpg

Oh, and thanks for the replies, it's good to know someone is reading. I'll be asking LOTS of questions soon ;)
-- and I'll get some shots of the 550 up too.

Geez, you made out like a bandit on these. Did you order the carb kits for the sloper? It's good to clean them up but if the motor is frozen solid the kits won't do you much good. If you are dropping the motor out of it, there's 3 bolts in the back of the motor (looks like 2 but there is 1 up top and 2 on bottom). You can just put a rolling floor jack under it with some wood on to support the weight. Any other question just let us know!

Thanks for the tips BigR. I'll be pulling the motor on the sloper after I get the other one buttoned up, at least... I say that now.
And I'll look into kits for the carbs once I see how the engine looks.

On another note, This almost made me cry:

Honda550craigslist.jpg

Sold (almost) on craigslist today about 7 miles from where I'm at. For a grand total of, get this...

$150

And I'm next on the list, though I doubt the guy who is supposed to pick it up tomorrow, will back out.
It has no title and no key, but hell I'd pay that just for the pipes... *sigh* oh well.

VonYinzer said:
Throw some pics up of that 550 man! It does seem like these 175s are everywhere now. There the new 350!

The pics are up, under Bad Influences :)

So many ideas... so very tired.

Re: Dual Cl 175's (Carb fun)

So this last week or so was spent playing with Carbs!

I don't remember where I read it but someone on here referred to the Gallon Bucket 'O Carb cleaner as "Toxic Waste". I whole Heartedly agree! Now admittedly, I am not experienced at this so I'm sure I made some mistakes. However, I'm going with full disclosure:

So I started by taking the carbs apart and dipping everything, minus the plastic and rubber bits. In the end I left all the parts in there for around four days. ( I don't know if that could cause problems or not but this is what they looked like coming out of the cleaner:

AsofFeb21016.jpg

AsofFeb21019.jpg

Also, this concerned me:
AsofFeb21020.jpg

That was inside both float bowls top and bottom when I took them out of the carb cleaner.

(crappy camera phone :-\ )

They ended up coming out covered in a thin slime. Fairly certain that this was not what I wanted, I did some digging on the site. I found the Posts about boiling them in a lemon juice mix. I decided to try my own concoction, and I was happy with the results.
I mixed a Half Gallon of distilled white vinegar with two tablespoons of Lemon Juice and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for good measure. After boiling them for a couple of hours I left them sit in the vinegar while I took each piece out individually, Blasted it with compressed air and hit it with a small wire brush dremel bit. This is what they looked like:

After blow drying
AsofFeb21022.jpg

and after a brushing
AsofFeb21023.jpg

Then I put everything back together with a couple of gasket kits off of ebay.
AsofFeb21024.jpg

I'm only a little concerned because there are two rubber gaskets that I don't know where go and am pretty sure didn't take off when I tore them down. They are in the Left Center of the above photo one very small one and another that looks like it might have been for the intake manifold. ??? Any help on that one?
I bolted them up and shot some starting fluid in them just to see what would happen. Awesome is what happened, first kick it turned over and ran beautifully, until the starting fluid ran out. Now I just need to get the Gas tank back from the radiator shop and see how the carbs themselves are. I know I'll have plenty of tuning to do, but overall I am very excited.

Btw, I've seen a few people hook up what looks like an IV bag for a temp gas source, where do you come by those?

If those are Keyster rebuild kits, keep all your old parts! Keyster kits are notorious for being poor quality.

I personally can't see the rubber you are talking about (on my phone) but I think denniskirk.com has those bags

Don't think they were, Packaging just said HONDA and the ebay sale says they are Honda OEM gasket kits.
It did say they were for these models
Honda TL125 K0-K2

Honda CB175 K3-K7

Honda CL175 K3-K7

Honda SL175 K0-K1

Honda CB200 1974-76 including T models

Honda CL200 K0

Which I didn't read the first time, I'm not sure what K model it is, it's a 1970 CL175. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Crap, I know there's a chart somewhere with the K designations. But I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe in a parts manual? Either way, if they fit, they fit.

man i need to move to a bigger place, the only hondas on cl in my area are owned by me and one buddy. i geuss i could drive to another city and try to find one likr ralegh anyway enought about me!
screw you for finding those two sweet 175 for 400. but seriously congrats looks like you are on the the right pace with these builds just dont get too bogged with them. if you do just send me a pm and ill take them off your hands, full price (400) or 200 for the one with a title

Re: CL175 Codname: Orange ...She Lives!

I got her running last week, It was a hell of a fealing for me. I've never torn into Carbs before, and to get it up and running, and to Idle. With no leaks or anything else, was amazing. Tires are still flat so I wasn't able to try her out, but she shifted through the gears (on the center stand) and had no trouble kickstarting or elctric start.

Oh yeah, the other reason I couldn't drive her around: my alternate fuel source.
IMG_1328.jpg

I must say really like the way she looks with my 550 tank on her. Really what that means is I want to be able to weld up some scrambler pipes on my 550...

IMG_1333.jpg

So I also had a soldering lesson last week:

What my blinker switch electrical should look like, roughly
AsofFeb21015.jpg

What it did look like when I opened it up :-\
AsofFeb21013.jpg

However i got it all soldered up and glued back together and now the lights and horn are all working properly!

Damn I need a real camera!

Back
Top Bottom