Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 350cc Harley Sprint question.  (Read 5613 times)

Offline WeberKid

• Tender Ind
350cc Harley Sprint question.
« on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:37:22 »
So I thought this would be as good place to ask an "element of style" question.  The Harley Sprint, also know as the Aermacchi 350 Sprint.  I'm just curious for my own knowledge - rather to settle a dispute between a friend and myself - whether the Harley version has Harley logo castings on it as opposed to Aermacchi?  Very obscure question, but anyone who knows sprints should be able to let me know.  Even a suggestion of where I would look to find out would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Rimmy

Re: 350cc Harley Sprint question.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2010, 19:57:31 »
as the former owner of a 250-H i can definitively say, I have no idea... 

However, if what I researched back in the day was correct, the bikes were made by Aermacchi and HD just slapped a few stickers on them.  So, I'd guess that it being made in Aermacchi factories and all, it'd probably have Aermacchi stampings.  But I'd suggest consulting the Google for a definite answer.

Side note: I still want to kick myself for getting rid of that bike...

-jordan

Offline pendraig

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2010, 15:30:57 »
I had a (1966, I think?) 250 harley Sprint, which did definitely have Harley Davidson cast into one of the engine's side covers. I knew that it had been made by Aermacchi, but didn't say so anywhere on the bike. The whole thing was painted flat black, which I thought was cool as hell at the time. Now, that I think of it, if I had another 25 Sprint, I'd probably paint it flat black like that one, and with a Jolly Roger on the tank too.

Offline jonescafe72

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2010, 13:11:21 »
I have a Sprint project that I'm working on right now, and the Casings do say Harley Davidson.
The Right side cover has Harley Davidson cast into it. For some reason I can't find any of my pictures.
'66 Sprint "Francesca"

Offline WeberKid

• Tender Ind
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2010, 22:59:35 »
thanks!

Offline pendraig

« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2010, 12:40:58 »
I had a flat black 250 Sprint (I painted it that way), my first street-legal bike, back in, like, 1973. It had HARLEY DAVIDSON cast on one side of the engine (I think the primary side) and a little Harley logo on the small cover on the other side. It kicked on the left, shifted on the right, with one-up, the rest down shift pattern (the bike started its life with a toe-heel type shifter). I had a Norton/Matchless P-11 years later and reaquainted myself with the right hand upside down shifter. Since it was the first bike that i owned and my previous experience was with Honda trail 90 step-thrus, it didn't seem a bit odd to me. Years later I saw a 350 Sprint (post 1976 federal mandates I think) and it looked to me like they swapped each and every part of the engine to the opposite side, like mirror-imaging the blueprints or something. Anybody know anything about that?

Offline foundation982

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 00:42:07 »
Just saw one today at an auction and it definitely said harley davidson on it

Offline ProSimex

• Site Supporter
  • RUN SCREAMING!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 00:46:08 »
A friend of mine has one of these kicking around the house that belongs to his son (he's 76) I think I should talk to him about it!
"Love is the feelin you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."

"That's got CV's? Take a #2 phillips screwdriver, heat the tip with a torch until cherry red and plunge it into your eye. It will hurt less. Really."- Kopcicle

Offline Rider52

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2011, 22:28:03 »
I've owned a couple, a 250C and a 350SS  both of them had Harley Davidson on the castings.
Rider
Projects
74 Yamaha TX650
74 Honda 360
75 Honda 360 "Scrambled"
Honda 750 bitsa thing
3 Harleys in constant state of sorrow and a Buell