Garage Guy Chris's First Cafe 71' CB 450 DONE AND RUNNING!!!!!

Garage_guy_chris

Been Around the Block
Well here it is my official build thread, things have been quiet as its rather cold so i thought i would get on here and share what im doing, and done thus far.

Here is my blank canvas, bought it as my birthday present, its a 1971 CB 450 ss, i got it in semi running condition. Started by draining a bunch of gasy oil out of it.

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

after that i screwed with it and got it started and running, wanted to make sure it wasn't a hopeless cause... Besides a strange carb issue, were the carbs were unsyncable, she was a solid runner.

Next stop was the rusty gas tank will i find pin holes upon cleaning?

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Yuk, after only hours....

IMG_0617.jpg

Initial tear down

IMG_0615.jpg

Here i mounted a old set of dirt bike bars upside down to get the cafe feel going, and the creative juices flowing

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Re: Garage Guy Chris's First Cafe 71' CB 450

Next the rear seat bracket and frame section disappeared, and a new extended frame was added

IMG_0625.jpg

Now whats a cafe without a rear pod thingee, heres my initial efforts,

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

after a while working on this, i didn't like the direction it was going not to mention it was just way to freakin big, so enter a $9.99 beat to S*&T ebay special

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

BTW the theme of this project is broke college student, so money isn't going to be thrown around on expensive stuff, my main sponsor is Team Ebay Racing, LOL, plus doing it on the cheap gives me more of a challenge forces me to learn new and interesting things like "the rear set dilema"

heres the problem, the passenger pegs are a little to far back and up for my liking and i couldn't find anything universal i liked, I toyed with the thought of building rear sets but thought that maybe there was a better way, I dont have any machine tools, either so. After like a month of hunting around and scouring the internet i found a solution in the form of 98 CBR 600 F3 rear sets they have an aluminum mount plate folding pegs and STEEL shift and brake levers suitable for modification with my welder... Also a nice little bonus after i got the rear sets i discovered that the lever that goes on the engine meant for the 98 was a perfect fit on my 71 so that solved one dilema,

I got brave and cut the stock passenger peg brackets clean off!

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Im a bit anal and like things welded up straight and true and accurate so heres my overkill jiging for the welding....

IMG_0726.jpg

The lever was a perfect fit on the shift shaft but... it was gonna majorly interfere with the exhaust... so new issue, which i anticipated buying the rear sets i did.....

IMG_0727.jpg

so out came the welder....

IMG_0731.jpg

Oh i just realized i forgot a pic this is how she sits at the moment, its been a little chilly to be out in the garage so not much has been happening i have been ebaying aquireing all the needed parts to finish her come warmer weather

IMG_0733.jpg

A nice start indeed! Twisted Wheelz is using the same rearsets. He hasn't mounted them up yet so I'm going to send him over here to check those out. This bike is going to be the tits! Keep it up dude!
Alex

Do you have any more pics of your jig setup for welding the rearset mounting plates? I'm just about to cut mine out and get them ready to weld up and that looks like the perfect setup for what I want to do.

I don't have anymore pics of the jigging it was basically a 'U" of metal that went from one side to the other to stabilize the brackets as i welded them, thats the goal so stuff doesn't warp when the welds cool. I have learned this the hard way too many times and wrecked too much stuff this bike wasn't getting on that list!

Anyways i spent the whole long weekend in the garage and got a whole pile done.....

I got to thinking that the handle bars might be a tad low so....

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

After that little adjustment I started on my rear pod again i thought a nice 3" exhaust was in order...should be interesting right?

IMG_0855.jpg

ok not really an exhaust, it was for frenching in the 1937 ford LED tail light i scored on Ebay a few weeks ago

IMG_0857.jpg

Although it looks sorta done its not :( theres still mad work to go into this pod first....

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

Hey you guys like my last little sub-project i was getting sick of pounding sheet metal over the edge of a work bench....

IMG_0862.jpg

Bent the .065" sheet metal fairly easy, i think its limit is about .080" ????

IMG_0863.jpg

Part of laying out the mounting for the pod to my newly constructed rear section

IMG_0870.jpg

Lastly the retainer for the tail light

IMG_0880.jpg

Ok so last thing was getting the headlight back on there, really wanted to get an overall look at what i have going on....

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

And finally here are the overall's from 3 days worth of work.....

IMG_0889.jpg

If you noticed the hole going into the rear pod i decided it would be an awful waste of space to leave it empty, so im gonna utilize it as storage, and to carry some spare parts and tools should i ever break down....

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

Here I am, i wish it was running and going somewhere....

IMG_0893.jpg

love the sheet metal brake, do you build bridges for a living? ;D

I like the way things with this are headed

Excellent work. Everything you've done looks great and its obvious you are a first rate craftsman. Keep it up and keep sharing!

Alright, no pics of the welding jig but I HAVE to have more pics of that sheet metal brake. ;) We've been long thinking of building something like that.

You know your way around your tools, that's for sure.

You can never "over" jig anything. There is a point to where your kind of wasting time but its going to be straight.

How about using the "pod" for battery storage?
Good work btw

the battery and electronics are gonna be under the seat in a tray about 4" - 5" deep. Thats the plan anyone familiar with the 450's knows those air filters and carb placement aren't nice to work with i got something in mind im just waiting on some NOS K&N pod filters and i need to make a fake battery plug to mess around with placement and arrangements to tell if it will work

As for my little sheet metal brake i do have some photo's and here they are:

here is the hinge detail there 3/8" thick flat bar the bolts are there to jig the assembly for welding they were later drilled to 1/2" and replaced with drill rod. they are also upside down,

IMG_0693.jpg

here are the hinges situated on the base which is a hunk of 6" x 2" channel about 2" long.

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

now I added the folding bar thing this is cold rolled flat bar i think its 1/2" thick the cold rolled was used because the edge is nice and square and dimensionally accurate, while hot rolled is rounded and scalely.

the top clamp is a piece of 2 1/2" x 1 1/4 angle with a piece of 1 1/4x 1 1/4 angle welded on it for strength

IMG_0701.jpg

heres a close up of the end detail:

IMG_0702.jpg

this is it finished there are 2 NFF 1/2" bolts for the clamp. Now if you look above the coke can you can sorta see the back check which is there to keep the clamp from pushing back with heavier sheet metal in it.

IMG_0863.jpg

No shit garage guy chris. You do amazing work sir. I like the brake. The plate for the rearsets is great. I'm sure its straight too. Everything looks good. Keep it up.

Ok so now that i have a sexy rear section i need a place for the battery and electrical stuff, anyone who knows the 450 will know the stock air filters and the battery placement are majorly problematic for aftermarket filters and the cage is ugly....., and the selenium rectifier is ghetto, and my stock wiring is a cats breakfast....

heres the next journey.....cut and paste time card board is great!

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

Magic turns cardboard to 18g sheet metal

IMG_0905.jpg

Now the front plate..

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

Next I used a pipe for the radius's on the inside.

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

when i place them i tack weld on the inside then sand the edge down smooth with the other facet,

IMG_0912.jpg

then CAREFULLY stitch weld the perimeter.

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Next i worked out the mounting points

IMG_0916.jpg

Heres the battery placement,

IMG_0920.jpg

And.................... the finished product....

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

Top notch work. That weld on the perimeter of the electro box is hard to do. Nice job, good looking welds. The frenched tail light is tits. Real nice. And thanks for the detailed journal. I'll be following for sure!

Nice work man. How much time do you have in the the battery box? looks good keep it up.

Garage_guy_chris said:
heres the next journey.....cut and paste time card board is great!

then CAREFULLY stitch weld the perimeter.

IMG_0913.jpg

holy shit. that's just awesome dude :eek:

ian

Back
Top Bottom