CB 350 cafe STEALTH

megrpirate

Hey Guys

I've been reading this forum since last october, and finally got myself a cb350 to cafe and joined up.

Got a question if anyone can help:
I've fitted a 2008 CBR1000RR front end to it (actually fits perfect). Everything from the forks, brakes etc to the wheel.
My problem is I want a similar cast aluminum wheel to match for the back, that will fit with out having to recess the sproket or any other wild thing.
Anyone know of any wheels that could fit?

Below is an image to give you an idea of why the stock wheel will look crap
cafe_stealth.jpg

Thanks in advance

The closest I can think of is the GS500 twin (89 on). Probably the thinnest "similar" 3 spoke mag out there (unless you can find RGV250 or FZR400 wheels somewhere)

You wont find any 3 spoke mag with a drum brake, so there's another headache in the making - best to get the disc carrier and caliper while you're at it.

Why dont you just mount the swingarm from a cbr600 on the 350 frame. It can be done relativily easily. Especially in comparison to setting up a modern disk rear wheel on a stock swingarm. Go all the way man... That front end looks great. One day I may have to build a modern/vintage hybrid. Check out Uniacs 350 on here by the way...

Thanks for the advice, Ive got the CBR1000 rear brake set assembly and wheel so maybe the 600 rear end will be good.
Is it going to have any problems with chain alignment?

Again thanks for the wealth of knowledge. And thanks for the wheel ideas hillsy.

Everytime I look at my bare frame I get excited with how it is going to look.

i really like the modern bits on the vintage bike look. so what did it take to get that front end on there?

dcmspikes said:
i really like the modern bits on the vintage bike look. so what did it take to get that front end on there?

It was really simple to fit the front end, bottom bearing race is the exact same as the new front ends.
So I slid it on, used the original bearings, the old bearing race for the top and put the triple clamp on and the lock nuts.
Really that easy. Even the steering rod is the same length.

dcmspikes said:

That's awesome. I'd really like to do that to mine to. The hybrid look is really unique.

megrpirate said:
Thanks in advance

Wow! That's awesome! I have no idea of your wheel options, I just needed to say something ;)

I have a set of these forks for my cb900 project, but if the swap is that easy, I might put them on my cb400F ;D

I'll be watching this for sure.

I'm also a big fan of the upgraded classic theme.

cheers
ian

VonYinzer said:
Why dont you just mount the swingarm from a cbr600 on the 350 frame. It can be done relativily easily. Especially in comparison to setting up a modern disk rear wheel on a stock swingarm. Go all the way man... That front end looks great. One day I may have to build a modern/vintage hybrid. Check out Uniacs 350 on here by the way...

I was thinking the same about using a donor swingarm, but the 350 frame has a central beam downtube as opposed to a "normal" frame having twin downtubes which squeeze the swingarm between them.

I don't think converting a donor swingarm onto this frame will be as simple as it looks on paper.

And you might be lucky with your chain alignment, but most likely not. But that's relatively easily fixed (shimmed / shaved sprockets).

Here ya go. $40 bucks and some spacers: Your golden. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-600-F4i-REAR-SWING-ARM-SWINGARM-WHEEL-SHAFT-ARM-F4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335a05e0b7QQitemZ220553666743QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you didnt want to run a mono shock setup, you could remove the stock mount and have new dual shock mounts welded on. Id run the mono though. Would be simple with the o.g. swingarm mount already there.

do-want.jpg

Start a build log, or get more photos up in here! I want to know how this turns out.

i like the modern bits on the classic, but for the 350 ive always felt the inverted forks, dual disks etc is just overkill. if i ever build a cb750 or a gl1100 cafe racer, i wouldnt think twice about it.

get the swingarm off the same bike on the rear. may have to cut it a bit to make it fit, but thats the easiest route.

go mono- it will look better with that front end.

hillsy said:
I was thinking the same about using a donor swingarm, but the 350 frame has a central beam downtube as opposed to a "normal" frame having twin downtubes which squeeze the swingarm between them.

I don't think converting a donor swingarm onto this frame will be as simple as it looks on paper.

And you might be lucky with your chain alignment, but most likely not. But that's relatively easily fixed (shimmed / shaved sprockets).

But you might be able to fit one of these for $49 ( link here ):

F4-1.jpg

From a CBR600F4

You could also make the centre 'pivot' a bit wider and less prone to twisting.

Then it's just a matter of figuring out how much interference you get from that spine with the shock mount ;)

cheers
ian

Hey everyone

Thanks for all the ideas and interest.
Progress has been very very slow, got my own business so that keeps me away from the bike for extended periods.

Had a little bit of progress though, got some rear shocks (pic) new rear wheel on the way..........ill get a pick up when it comes.
photo.jpg

I was planning on sand blasting my engine last week but Dads compressor blew up. So waiting for a new one of them and a couple of items from BCR to come. Once they do I think my excitement will kick it and full steam ahead with this badboy.

Fixed dads compressor and got to work blasting the engine.

Next off to the powder coaters for a sweet finish and a total rebuild.
Pick up a stainless bolt kit from ebay and a gasket kit.

photo-1.jpg

Oh man... Hope you were beyond very careful blasting a whole motor... Any sand gets into that lump and you could be screwed!

Back
Top Bottom