'71 CB350 I grabbed last August

Gyi2os

Been Around the Block
Picked this one up on craigslist with Backrest, Highway pegs/engine gaurd, windscreen... and the sickest paintjob i've ever seen.

Story goes, Guy bought it from his sister in-law who bought it from the factory in '73. The sister iL apparently had Honda do custom paint on the whole thing. At first i was like... "Oh no, that's getting covered up right away." Now, i can not bring my self to paint it, infact, i'm freaking in love with it.

So guy buys it from the sister in law in the early 80's for his wife to ride, and last register's it in '88. The bike sat in a heated garage in the boons for nearly 20 years. The guy only took it back and forth to the gas station a few times a summer for smokes. That's it. 6500mi on it odo when i bought it, fired right up and i drove it home for 585$ 1000mi later, it's sitting in the garage waiting for the snow to leave.

Replaced Throttle, clutch, brake cables
Cleaned carbs
Removed airbox haven't put it back on yet, probably won't
Currently has crappy Emgo pods, will upgrade to K&N's
Set timing/points
clubmans
new chain

Things a dream

Will probably only make a fibreglass seat w/hump for battery electronics, and not go to much further with it frame is in great condition, i'd say 99% of it is coated in glossy black with 1% rust forming due to stupid clamps from accessories PO put on... Either way, here she is, with my wife.

After i drove it home:
orig.jpg

How it sits now:
cb350two.jpg

CB350.jpg

Check out that paint!
tank.jpg

Oh yeah, you gotta keep that paint. ;D I'm with you on a mild cafe treatment for that bike. It's just too damned clean to cut up to much.

Welp, figured i'd update where she sits now. Nothing major in terms of visuals. Except of course that last week i lost my left tank badge.... Pulled to a stop at a busy intersection downtown, remembered hearing a "tink tink tink" of something falling, didn't see anything on the ground figured it wasn't anything either important. Finally remembered what intersection it was at this morning and of course, it's no where to be found - Though i wasn't expecting it to be there i had a sliver of hope.

Other things, new points installed, and went through the whole chapter 4 Tune-Up in the manual, got rid of WOT stumble over 7krpm, pulls clean all the way through to red line. Idles fine and after the valve adjustment, WOW it's way louder and meaner sounding, seems quicker too. Pretty sure the Valves were never adjusted, no tool marks on the access caps and they were TIGHT.

One question to anyone that may know. Post-valve job, i now can hear a lot more valve noise, like a 'clatter' but subtle, doesn't sound like it's going to explode or anything, i just figure that it's because there is now a .002 on intake and .004 on exhaust gap and now that the gap is there, the noise i'm hearing is that top piece(can't remember what it's called) is now 'tapping' the valve so it's OK? right? Any one have Video/Audio of a properly set up 350?

I also did the same procedure to my friends '71 cl350 and his sounds nearly the same in terms of valve noise... so i'm thinking i'm good. Just don't want to blow anything up over something stupid.

Back
Top Bottom