XCANUC's XS400 project

XCANUC

Here is my project. I found a couple of XS400s very cheap and decided to make a cafe racer out of the 2.

Here are the 2 bikes as I picked them up.
DSC00660.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

It actually got up to 1 degree Celsius today so I got out and did some work, thinking and some drinking. Not necessarily in that order. LOL

Here are some updated pics with what got done today.

I stripped it down to this and cut down the sub frame.
DSC00701.jpg

Here is a pic with the stock tank and seat.
DSC00698.jpg

Here is a pic with just the tank.
DSC00700.jpg

The plan was to use the stock tank and put a fiberglass tail on it but I don't know if I will like the look with the tank. I have to have a few more beers and think about it. I really don't want to have to buy a tank. This is supposed to be a low budget project.

I found out that the steering stop broke off the frame so I will need to weld a new one on. Should I worry about warping the steering head with the heat from welding?
DSC00695.jpg

There is some crap on the fork tubes. What will be the best way of removing it without damaging the forks?
DSC00696.jpg

I am putting some clip ons on it so I will have these holes in the top triple clamp. Any ideas on how to fill or cover them? They are 32mm.
DSC00690.jpg

The plan is to take the rear end off the parts bike because it has a rear disk brake. Here is the parts rear end.
DSC00686.jpg

Here is the stock rear end.
DSC00687.jpg

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get some more done. I have a week off in 2 weeks. So the plan is to kick ass then and get it up and running and certified. Then I can start with the cafe mods.

Steve

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Does anyone know how I can vent this? It was connected to the cross tube between the carbs on the boot from the carb to the airbox. Can I just vent it to air or a filter? Or do I need a catch can?
DSC00702.jpg

Thanks.
Steve

Can't help with the venting, but you can be creative with the holes from the risers. I moved my ignition switch into mine and Curbcast found some brass fittings to fit in his

XCANUC said:
Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Does anyone know how I can vent this? It was connected to the cross tube between the carbs on the boot from the carb to the airbox. Can I just vent it to air or a filter? Or do I need a catch can?

As long as you don't overfill the motor with oil you won't need a catch can. Just get a mini filter from an auto shop and it will be fine.

Nice! looks like you've got some work ahead of you. I notice there's tapered roller bearings in the steering head. Stock xs400s came with ball bearings. It's always nice when the previous owner mods the bike in GOOD ways. :D

Ringo said:
Nice! looks like you've got some work ahead of you. I notice there's tapered roller bearings in the steering head. Stock xs400s came with ball bearings. It's always nice when the previous owner mods the bike in GOOD ways. :D

I know this is an old post but I have an xs400 that I just got and compression test was good but it seems to have alot of compression. both cylinders are at about 150 psi but when i kick it , it feels like my old xs650 ... you really gotta put some kick to it unlike say a cb350 with almost kicks like a small dirtbike. can anyone confirm this or is there something I am gonna need to have a look at?

I know this is an old post but I have an xs400 that I just got and compression test was good but it seems to have alot of compression. both cylinders are at about 150 psi but when i kick it , it feels like my old xs650 ... you really gotta put some kick to it unlike say a cb350 with almost kicks like a small dirtbike. can anyone confirm this or is there something I am gonna need to have a look at?

Hey white orbs my XS is not running but it seems to kick easy. I have kick started 250cc dirt bikes and my xs feel about the same. I would not go off my input thow because my bike hasn't ran in a while.

Back
Top Bottom