79 GS550

binnyblanco

learning one mistake at a time....
First off I would like to say that I picked up these bikes kind of on a whim and just wanting a change. I still dont have a motorcycle license and I am planning on taking a weekend course hopefully soon........yeah thats right I will be the dork on a yellow bike following the spray painted lines in a parking lot. A) It will give the wife a piece of mind if I take a safety course. B) I can get my license at the same time......if I pass.

I had an 81 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 and I was having a hard time selling it, so I decided to keep my eye open for trades. Guy had 2 bikes he was willing to trade and I was ready for a change and wanted something more manageable (or atleast in my mind) to work on. So I ended up trading him my "albino rhino" for a 1979 Suzuki GS550E already been "cafe'd" so to speak.....will get to that later. And a stock (rough around the edges) 1974 CB750. And $250 cash........probably because he knew I was getting the short end of the stick. As you will see in the pics the GS550 has some interesting engineering......was not afraid to use zip ties and duct tape and whatever else will hold the bike together.

Re: 79 GS550 and 74 CB750

Had some stickers and decals on the tank and seat as well as a home made poofy seat I threw away...no pic

Did come with a nice 4 into 1 kerker exhaust, rearsets, quality seat (not cheap thin fiberglass). If you notice the bracket used to mount the exhaust. That was broken and was held together by zip ties. Also if you look closely you can see the AWSOME duct tape battery box.

Attachments

• IMG_9003.JPG
    500 KB · Views: 1,109

The PO bought the bike pretty much like it was when I bought it. I think the PO before him was trying to make this thing bare bones. Oh and if this was someones bike on this forum.......thanks for doing some of the things you did to the bike and WHAT WERE YOU THINKING on some of the other things you did. I am by no means an expert, but damn that is some AFRO ENGINEERING------don't worry I have a black friend so I can use that term......hahahahahah. The starter was removed and all the wires associated with that cut. It is a kick start only, which I do not mind. Starts usually second kick.

Front wheel has a brace which adds some extra support and strength and I like the way it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_8995.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 1,062

shocks.....not sure what kind. Someone on the forum said these where incorrect clevis to whatever setup??? No idea. Anyone know?

Here's that awesome battery box I was talking about earlier.......yep duct taped the battery to the frame of the bike!!!! Oh wait some zip ties too....were good!

Has clip ons, but they hit the tank and actually dented it on both sides. Just read an article in cycle source magazine (march issue pg. 18) about making some fork stops. Might have to do that....thanks lowbrow customs for that idea. Need to clean up the wiring and cables as well.

Removed tank and seat and took them to get painted.....not big on the baby blue maybe if I was a fan of the Tarheels

Where I have gotten so far. Started stripping some of the black paint thinking I would polish some of the engine and found out the stator cover was cracked and repaired with JB Weld. Bought a good quality used one off of ebay. Still trying to figure out what to do with the engine, whether to continue polishing or paint it black the way I got it.....hmmmm any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9055.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 748

I will take some pics of the Honda this weekend and post. Here is the pic of the Cruiser I had.

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 747

binnyblanco said:
shocks.....not sure what kind. Someone on the forum said these where incorrect clevis to whatever setup??? No idea. Anyone know?

There on upside down.

binnyblanco said:
That is what I was beginning to think just from looking at other bikes with similar shocks. Thanks!

Right on man. Eye to clevis shocks are usually found on Hondas I'm pretty sure. Someone may have done a bit of hillbilly engineering to shoe horn those on there.

That FJ is what I traded for the 2 bikes....kinda miss it a little, but I am happy I get to work on these bikes. Well maybe I will use those shocks on my CB if they work. Any recommendations for what kind of shocks I can use on the GS??? Don't want to spend too much, but nothing cheapo either.

Its a nice bike man. I like the seat and tank combo. I believe the shocks are upside down though. Though the reservoirs may not clear the chain and sprocket. Duct tape and zip tie battery box, do you mind if I steal that idea. It might make my life easier than actually making a battery box. Good luck and keep tha pics coming. Speaking of have you tried to use photobucket for posting your pics? you can post multiple pics in one post. Man I almost typed multiple chics rather than pics.

How do you go about using photobucket on this forum? I usually drag my pics to the desktop then I have to resize them. It would be nice to post multiple pics on one post.

Back
Top Bottom