Need battery for Kick Start???

DeadZed

Bring a Zed back from the Dead
I was wondering if you needed to have a battery installed for the kick start to work?? How does it work?? Are all motos different?? Can I take the battery out of my 78 kz650 and just run the kick start?? Thanks,Nik.

With a Honda you need a battery with some charge to start the biker by kicking. With a Suzuki you do not need a battery in the bike to start it.

Man, I just popped over here with a battery question about this sam thing. I have a honda so I need a little power to go kick only. Was wondering if this would be enough.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=61

Any thoughts fellas. If this will work it's a steal for just under $14

djelliott said:
Man, I just popped over here with a battery question about this sam thing. I have a honda so I need a little power to go kick only. Was wondering if this would be enough.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=61

Any thoughts fellas. If this will work it's a steal for just under $14

don't think so. charging system would fry it

It's a sealed battery. Bouncing around in a bike could build up hydrogen pressure inside the battery. Big BOOM could result under you pecans! The plates inside are not designed against movement, and g forces either, and could short out against each other. Could result in a big BOOM under your pecans as well.

midnightcafe said:
don't think so. charging system would fry it

Would this one work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAIL-TECH-NIMH-12V-VEHICLE-MOUNT-BATTERY_W0QQitemZ390169034221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad7e2fded

That's designed for off road bikes with minimal charging systems.
Good chance it will explode on a 'real' charging system.
Don't take this too personal, I haven't launched into a tirade for a long time. (I been sick ;D)
First off, do at least a minimal amout of research before posting question.
If anyone is too stupid to find out what type of charging system they have, YOU DON'T FUCK WITH IT. (REALLY :eek:)
Just because you can hack a decent bike up and then later get it running, it doesn't make you a bike builder, mechanic or 'artist'
There are two basic alternating current (AC) charging systems, electromagnetic (EMS) and permanent magnet (PMS)
Go back to high-school physics to see how they work ::)
If you have or are doing a degree in electronics, this is simple stuff (so you probably wouldn't be asking)
I'm pretty certain your Kawasaki has an EMS, almost identical to CB400/500/750 Honda.
Voltage is regulated but amperage is not.
What it mean's, you can have about 20~30 amps hitting battery when regulator switches on/off.
(I regularly weld on 20 amp setting)
Stock battery can 'absorb' excess current, average rarely goes over 6~8 amps, usually lower if everything is in good condition
When you switch to smaller battery it may react differently, if you keep up on maintainance it may be OK (sealed batteries are not good from this standpoint, they do 'boil' dry then have all sorts of wierd problems)
OK, rant over for now ;)

PJ

Back
Top Bottom