CL175 Build (First Run Video!)

SquadraCorse

Coast to Coast
I haven't posted about this whip yet, but it's almost ready. I got this CL175 from forcefanadj a couple months ago. It was in pretty good shape so I just decided to do some quick mods and ride this until I get my CJ360 sorted out.

After bringing it to my buddies after a quick trip to the power washers:

2010-01-23123617-1.jpg

Tank was removed and and sealed. It was pretty rusted inside but seems to be OK now. Im in the process of painting it this week. MotoBits rear sets, a bunch of OEM replacement parts, grips, clubmanns, bar end mirrors, Avon rubber, blah blah blah. Nothing crazy, but will hold me over until the real bike is done ;) Fired up today and seems to run great!!!!!

2010-03-07144952.jpg

2010-03-07144952.jpg

2010-03-07165951.jpg

2010-03-07170004.jpg

2010-03-07170015.jpg

2010-03-07170347.jpg

Sporting the tank off my buddies bobber just so he could try it out ;D

IMG00097-20100314-1139.jpg

Re: She's alive, CL175

If your not going to use the heat shield on the muff. Get at me! I tried to snag that once allready.

Finished filling some little pits in the tank today. Primed/sanded/filled/primed/sanded/primed/wet sanded/ then shot about 4 coats of duplicolor red. I'm going to touch up a few spots underneath, then wet sand and clear coat this week.

Sweet cell phone pics:
2010-03-27130211.jpg

2010-03-27131833.jpg

Shot some clear on it yesterday. Will put one more coat on today, then wet sand and buff tomorrow. I also have some new forks since the ones that were on it were bent. I'll rebuild those and get it all together on Sunday. Now I just need to do some wiring and she's done!

2010-04-08190156.jpg

Finished the tank, it looks pretty damn amazing for a rattle can job. I don't have a decent picture of it now so I'll post it when it's on the bike, which should be in the next few days.

I did get my new fork in, since the one on the bike was bent pretty bad. I rebuild the legs with new seals and fresh oil, then cleaned up the lowers:

2010-04-16162053.jpg

I got a bunch of little odds and ends in, so the bike is almost finished. Just need to figure the brake situation out and I'm good to go. Hopefully I'll have completed pics up soon!

Re: CL175 Build

Starting to look like a real bike. New forks and headlight ears on. Tank on, Fuel system plumbed. Need to do the wiring now, refresh the brakes, and make some manifolds so I can run my pod filters. Other than that, she's looking pretty good.

IMGP1192.jpg

IMGP1191.jpg

IMGP1194.jpg

IMGP1193.jpg

Re: CL175 Build (starting to look like a bike!)

Nice job on the tank! Looks better than anything you get from the factory!

Sohio said:
Nice job on the tank! Looks better than anything you get from the factory!

Thanks Guys! I spent a long time doing the tank. It has a great mirror finish, which I was kind of floored by seeing as how it's a rattle can and all. Plus I have zero patience with painting. Lots of wet sanding and buffing. I'll try and get a decent picture of it this weekend.

I made a lot of progress last night. I hooked up my new turn signals from DCC and they really changed the look of the bike. I added my intake couplings and filters, and finished up a lot of little things that needed to be attended to. She's all wired up and everything works. Just need to rebuild one carb, and it's going on the road. :D

Bad pics, good ones to follow outside in the daytime at some point.

IMGP1235.jpg

Speed holes!
IMGP1236.jpg

Love the size of this taillight
IMGP1237.jpg

Intakes
IMGP1231.jpg

Hey Squad, I don't think I mentioned it earlier but I like those intake extensions you came up with. And can't watch the vid from work..... dammit.

Big R said:
Hey Squad, I don't think I mentioned it earlier but I like those intake extensions you came up with. And can't watch the vid from work..... dammit.

Thanks bud, How do you like your Mikuni's? Do you have the jetting sorted?

I LOVE them. Aside from the flanges not fitting properly, everything about them is great. Starts on 1st or 2nd crank (usually first), floats are set dead on, better power delivery, etc. They come with 180 mains which is way off, needed closer to 115's but they are easy to swap out. And the idle jet is off as well, but not nearly as bad as the mains.

Highly recommended.

Big R said:
I LOVE them. Aside from the flanges not fitting properly, everything about them is great. Starts on 1st or 2nd crank (usually first), floats are set dead on, better power delivery, etc. They come with 180 mains which is way off, needed closer to 115's but they are easy to swap out. And the idle jet is off as well, but not nearly as bad as the mains.

Highly recommended.

Where did you get them from? Can you run the stock throttle cable?

I rebuilt one of my stock carbs, and it runs pretty well, but I'd like to go with some mikunis, because as you know, the stock carbs seem to develop all sorts of finicky little problems being 38 years old....

Just watched the vid..... looks like a blast! Congrats man!

The cheapest place I found them was actually BikeBandit.com. I wanna say $67 a piece - which adds up to a lot more than a rebuild kit but I needed 2 new floats in my Keihins. And I think the floats were like $22 each. But yeah, the stock cables just slide right in - no mods needed. Heck, even the stock flanges will work BUT the center-to-center mounting on the Mikuni's is too wide. It's possible to cut a little bit off the old flanges and rig it up, but do you really want to "rig" something that's shooting gasoline?

Big R said:
Just watched the vid..... looks like a blast! Congrats man!

The cheapest place I found them was actually BikeBandit.com. I wanna say $67 a piece - which adds up to a lot more than a rebuild kit but I needed 2 new floats in my Keihins. And I think the floats were like $22 each. But yeah, the stock cables just slide right in - no mods needed. Heck, even the stock flanges will work BUT the center-to-center mounting on the Mikuni's is too wide. It's possible to cut a little bit off the old flanges and rig it up, but do you really want to "rig" something that's shooting gasoline?

Wouldn't be the first time ;D ;D

Thanks for the info man

Back
Top Bottom