rebel 450 bobber project.

mikeadamstattoo

Coast to Coast
today i purchased an anal-retentive clean 86 rebel 450.

ive been wanting a cool little clean bobber for a while. being as rare as they are, im not gonna do any heavy modifications that would prevent me from going back to stock if need be.

here she is. she rides unbelievably smooth and id never second guess her reliability.

nou1oh.jpg

to do:

remove seat and rear fender
slim bobber fender
slim solo seat
8" dtp z bars
remove front fender
rewire the lights, possibly that cool side mounted light and plate deal, but i dunno...may do the versa-light/plate deal like i did with my cafe. it was a major space saver.

stay tuned!

Cool find; Shorty shocks will give you the right stance. Keep the fender-rooster tails to the face suck in the rain :eek:

i read your post bout you picking this up the other day, pretty cool man, cant wait to see what you do with it.

that will make for a cool little project, btw did you use to tattoo in Pittsburgh , Your name sounds familiar , I tattoo south of pittsburgh in Morgantown WV , I do the pittsburgh convention every year

yay... another build by kiley that will put us all to shame....

just kidding bro! cant wait to see how she turns out!

i really wanna get cracking on this. i LOVE riding it, but i fucking HATE looking at it.

i got some z bars, but they werent the rise i was looking for, and the handle part was WAY short.

so if anyone wants em, $30. (clubmans behind em are to show size comparison, but i dont want them either, so $30 will take those too)

3nd3m93pc5O35U05R2a4r54a1bea79d271439.jpg

im gonna get some 8 or 10 inch zbars, or maybe some 10" chimps. (are you happy kev nemo? no drag bars here)

im also gonna grab a 6" flat fender off jp cycle and some struts to support it.

mikeadamstattoo said:
i really wanna get cracking on this. i LOVE riding it, but i fucking HATE looking at it.

i got some z bars, but they werent the rise i was looking for, and the handle part was WAY short.

so if anyone wants em, $30. (clubmans behind em are to show size comparison, but i dont want them either, so $30 will take those too)

3nd3m93pc5O35U05R2a4r54a1bea79d271439.jpg

im gonna get some 8 or 10 inch zbars, or maybe some 10" chimps. (are you happy kev nemo? no drag bars here)

im also gonna grab a 6" flat fender off jp cycle and some struts to support it.
Did you get new bars? Also, if you've not purchase a new fender yet make sure to check out jason at Dime city. They have some pretty kick ass stuff at real decent prices...

yup i ordered these tonight. 10" chimp hangers.

!BrYm1i!BWk~$(KGrHqEOKjEEueybucEjBLzdb1gI8g~~_12.JPG

ill be scuffing em up and painting em black the minute they come through the door.

and instead of wasting a bunch of money on a new fender, i realized i have a perfectly good flat (but chrome) fender from the gs550 in my garage. some sanding and painting, and ill have a nice little fender just peeking out, referencing brat style's builds, since they are after all, my fav builders.

something along these lines.

bratstyle3.jpg

that way by saving the money on that it can go towards a nice solo seat.

forgot to mention, i've been taking chrome bits off the bike to scuff up and repaint black. i did the square battery cover on the right side and this left side cover...

50k7pc.jpg

epr59f.jpg

Coming along nicely. What kind of solo seat are you thinking of running? The pillion pops right off of the stock set up, a couple tabs bolted in it's place and you're done. Or do you want the small sprung solo type? If so I've got a small Dixie leather solo with front pivot and springs I could be persuaded to let go of... wrong style for the Panhead, too narrow for the Savage and the 63 Honda already has the perfect replacement racing style seat.

I like trades if you want the seat stuff... I've got about $75 tied up in the set-up.

i ordered some 10" apes from front street cycles. got the package today, opened it up and....

steel fender.

?????

its a damn nice fender, and they sell it for $150, but its not what i ordered. doh! i just hope shipping it back isnt gonna cost me too much.

so the bars i got from front street were a little tall, i exchanged them for 8 inch mini apes. im still waiting on those.

i HATE the big puffy seat on the rebel. i like a good hard seat. call me crazy. but after riding the cl125 around the past week, i got on this and almost barfed because of the pillow-y-ness. i like to feel the road.

so i ordered my solo seat today, but until it comes..

wire-rigged vintage bicycle seat for the win!

11b1006.jpg

I agree with what you are saying about those big seats. The one that you rigged up works and looks so much better. I really like it. It follows the lines of the frame and I even like the color. the springs underneath are almost hidden. Looks good man. Nice job!

haha wlel thanks troy, but its going as soon as i get my real solo seat in the mail from the ebayz. that one will actually be bolted to it, not wired.

also cant wait to get my tail light for it too, cause i already have a slim finder lined up thats only gonna cover the very rear portion of the rear tire. also im still waiting on the 8" mini apes from front street cycle.

by taking off the seat, it really shows its true bobber potentional, next is taking off its horrible rear fender

im also stuck,:

keep the stock tank?

sportster tank?

peanut tank?

suggestions guys?

Back
Top Bottom