www.roccitycafe.com

www.townmoto.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.moto-madness.com

www.rustrev.com

www.monstercraftsman.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

Author Topic: '75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - 8/5 - Videos Long Overdue  (Read 44233 times)

Offline SrgtBear

• The arsenic has oddly shaped feet...
Hi Everyone,

I just noticed this DQ Board and I decided I would share what I have been working on in the last year.  I bought a 75 Yamaha XS500B towards the end of the summer this last year.  $200.  Look decent but needed alot of TLC.  Needless to say the bike was sitting and the clutch cable and throttle was broke so I could not fire it up, but the engine did turn.  Since then I took it home a tore it completely apart.  Thus begins the Cafe Racer build.

This last weekend I just got the frame back from powder and started putting all the bits and pieces together that I worked on during the off season.  Engine still not tested....  Looks great on the inside, but still praying for no problems.

Here are some pictures of the build so far.  Let me know whatcha think and I will be glad to keep you posted. See link for HQ Photos and Video

Photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Cichocki.T/1975YamahaXS500B?feat=directlink

Video:

Snapshot:

Thoughts, Suggestions, Comments.

Thanks,
Ted Cichocki
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 11:51:38 by SrgtBear »

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
Welcome to the site man. the Yam is looking good so far. I like the red bolts, can't wait to see it come together.

But uh..... what's the story with the Honda?

Offline SrgtBear

Welcome to the site man. the Yam is looking good so far. I like the red bolts, can't wait to see it come together.

But uh..... what's the story with the Honda?

Oh...what?  That little guy?  :)    It's a 1974 Honda XL125.  Found in almost mint condition buried in one of my neighbors garage.  My father actually spotted it and after a little talk it was his for.. well about $200.  Rebuilt Carbs, cleaned fuel tank and fired right up.  It's an awesome little whip.  It does great on the street and on dirt.  In the shed there is also a 1973 Yamaha AT1 Enduro, 2 stroke.  Restored but not original.

Thanks for the comments! 

Offline SrgtBear

1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - Update - Polishing Forks
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2010, 01:27:47 »
Update - Polished Forks are Finish...  After thought, don't want to do this again anytime soon.

When I decided I wanted to hand polish my forks I never would of thought it would take so much work.  I spent about a week just on one tube alone.  It's a messy pain staking process.  However, once I got the hang of it the second one was done in no time and I was so glad i didn't throw in the towel and paint them.  I swear I was that close.  Results,  "ohhhh man look at those shiny puppies.  I love them!"

Here are some tips that I learned that will save you some time.  First, buy / have a table top bench grinder with min two buffing wheels.  Makes sure you get the correct compounds.  I bought a kit from Harbor Freight that came with an assortment of buffing bits for a drill and 3 compounds, black (rough), red (medium), white(superfine).  Use the black stuff first and get the first layer off the metal.  Follow by using drill bit attachments to get the hard to reach areas.  Apply pressure!   Switch to a new wheel and use the red stuff to get it real glassy, then finish it off with white compound.  Wipe off with a rag periodically to check results.  Be sure to wipe off completely before switching to next compound.

When your done.  Clean it off good.  I found that degreaser and a paint brush worked the best.  Follow by soap and water.  Dry immediately so you don't give it time to rust.  Finally, Get some Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish from Pep Boys.  Follow Directions.  Then Wax the polish areas to protect them.  Wipe wax off good and Wahla!  Those puppies should shine.   :)

-=Ted=-

Offline Rocan

• "Long after I rest, my steel will live on"
make your own polish. its cheaper and way better then store stuff.

my final hand polish is as follows...

3/10 final rouge (white), 2/10 medium rouge (brown or red), 5/10 mineral spirits (paint thinner). boil them OUTSIDE under SAFE conditions until you get a nice mixture. crush the rouge first to speed things up. paint thinner is VERY flammable; excercize caution.

my sealer polish is as follows... 3/10 white rouge, 3/10 caranuba or PURE beeswax, 4/10 mineral spirits.

i agree. polishing is a pain in the ass. im a bit psycho... i got three or four minor scratches in my fork leg and its been on my mind for the past 5 days. im going to tear the fork down again and go back to black rouge to get them out. fml.

those look good none the less.
PJ- Cafe's don't really work right until you get rolling 70mph +

Honda CB350 Project- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=8643.0

Honda C100 Restoration- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38653.0

Offline SrgtBear

Update #2 - Wheels, Grease, and XS Completely Naked
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2010, 01:43:42 »
Had some time to snap some photos today.  Finally got the front wheel finished.  Greased up and lubed both axles and slapped them on there.  Installed some headlight ears from MikesXS.  Btw, they weren't a perfect fit right away.  Had to bend them so they would latch better.  If you look below the ears you'll see a chrome cover that hides the bottom tree and brake switch.  Normally the old headlight ears would hold this down this cover...  So with a little thought I pulled out an extra set of fork seals i didn't use and they worked like a champ keeping the cover down nice and tight.

Finally, I also attached the kick stand with a little red flair.  P.S.  This kickstand sucks ass!!!  If someone was to nudge the bike forward by accident it would flip right up and fall over.  Can't wait to get the center stand on.

All HQ Photo can be found at link in first post.

-Ted

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
Re: Update #2 - Wheels, Grease, and XS Completely Naked
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2010, 11:45:31 »
P.S.  This kickstand sucks ass!!!  If someone was to nudge the bike forward by accident it would flip right up and fall over. 

if you take the stand back off, you can grind (sparingly) the front / bottom edge of the stopper so it swings forward a little more. Just don't take off too much or else the bike will lean too far to the left.

Looking good so far BTW!

Offline SrgtBear

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project - Engine Update
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 18:26:09 »
Well it's been awhile since I've updated my thread.  Since last post its been all engine work.  I was dreading doing it because of the sheer weight of this beast and how grungy it looked but it's all worth it in the end.

Engine was blasted, degreased, blasted some more, made some gaskets for both oil plugs and finally got it ready for paint.

The main body has a wrinkle finish.  Used VHT Wrinkle plus.  Spray vertical, spray horizontal, spray diagonal.  Much fun...   Finish looked like crap when wet but when it dried it looked fantastic!  Really like the way it turned out.

Engine 50% complete.  Chrome valve and side covers next.

Offline n0regret5

FYI the fork lowers are aluminium, not steel.. :D looks bitchin! can't wait to see this thing coming together, love those TX's

Offline SrgtBear

FYI the fork lowers are aluminium, not steel.. :D looks bitchin! can't wait to see this thing coming together, love those TX's

Lol. Yes they are.  It's hard to make a video and get it all right the first time.

Thanks for the compliment.  :D

Offline n0regret5

all good. moar work! MOAR PICS!!!!

Offline bikeboy

• a cb900 tragic
Looks good so far. Will be watching this come together for sure  ;)

cheers
ian

Offline SrgtBear

First full inspection of the engine. Real clean. Rebuild Contact Points and adjusted Tappet/Lifter valve clearances. Covers sent out for chrome.

Offline Big Rich

• Site Supporter
  • Heaven is so far away.
Chromed covers, huh? That will be nice to see. Glad the motor's treatin ya well.

Offline SrgtBear

Finally got the engine in the frame.  Polished up the carb caps and float bowls.  Pod filters are from www.hvccycle.com and look freaken sweet.  I used Joe's (JRK) recommendation of using copper pipe tubing insulation when installing the engine so nothing got dinged up.  Still waiting for chrome pieces to come back.

Enjoy!