Couldn't Pass up this XJ650

Gyi2os

Been Around the Block
$50 from a co-worker. Starts, idles, purrs. Only needs some clutch/transmission work. Sounds like it's just in need of new springs.

Going to try my hand at hardtailin' this bad boy. ;D

IMG_0065.jpg

Wow... That is by far one of the ugliest bikes I have ever seen! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

In all seriousness, $50 bucks is a steal for any running bike. Hardtail it up I say! Keep us posted!

Was that thing owned by a Raiders fan or a member of GWAR by any chance? ;) You're doing the wold a favor by saving that thing from whatever has happened to it in it's past life. 8)

Is nasty. But through that nastiness I can see the light at the end of the tunnel there. It's a candidate for surgery that you don't have to feel bad about the incision.

Thanks for the uh... support? ahahaha, great comments. Will keep everyone posted on it's future, one thing i know, i'll be riding the SHIT out of this thing :D

I used to have the 750 stupid fast!
i woud be willing to bet the chrome was not scuffed before he painted it, i bet some acitone, or thinner and you can remove the paint to reveal good chrome under there! i hve done it a bunch!

its like a bad car accident, i cant stop looking at it. i cant wait to see how sweet itll be.

question is, are you going to relocate the spikes? lol

hahahahhaha you guys are fackin' great!

I've back-burnered the full on hard tail idea, just too much time and attention, and honestly, i dont know how much this bike's got left in her, speedo's at 60k!!! but for a 50$ bike and hopefully less than 50$ in parts... new plan is to chop the rear off, drop the suspension by at least an inch by cutting coils, throw in a single seat (ideas needed on mounting one, and any source for a cheap springy-seat would help) and then riding it 'til it dies in full spine/cage/spike getup.

The Beast arrives in my garage Tuesday night, more pics to follow...

Hey guys, got this bad-boy home tonight.

Threw a fresh battery in, fired right up!

Only ~31k on the speedo not 60... adjusted the clutch cable and took her for a 5 mile ride!

Betty (her new name) pulls strong shifts smooth, everything just points towards... the best damn $50 purchase i've ever made.

Funny moment, while revving it up in the garage, looks like a dirty beast, sounds like a riced out sport bike! Kinda funny. Anyway, here's some more pics...

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Ugly Betty :D What the heck is the spine and ribs made out of? Please fix this thing. Not saying I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it but I would ride it looking like that if you gave 50 bucks. ;D Good luck

Hmmm... I think you should ADD stuff to the bike vs taking stuff off. Go total over-the-top rat-rod with it. Add a couple rocket launchers, some dead raccoons...

Holy crap! Your co-workers freakin' Ghost Rider?!?!?! Hehe, j/k. Despite outward appearances, I think you'll be able to save that beast from an eternity in spikes. It's got good bones (ha) for a nice build. I'll be watching as you progress.

As for leads on a good, inexpensive sprung seat, try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jesse-James-Rival-seat-pan-chopper-bobber-WCC-Harley_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad0a2dc6dQQitemZ390047390829QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The seller's based out of Tennessee about fifteen or so miles south of me. They offer different pan styles in thick 10ga steel and is supposed to be pretty good from what I hear.

Tim said:
Add a couple rocket launchers, some dead raccoons...

Nice.

VonYinzer said:
HAAAAVVVEEE YYOOOOUUU SSSEEEENNNN MMEEE!!!! HA! Fuckin GWAR... :D

Aww man! I saw Gwar like...20 years ago, just for the spectacle....you don't go for the music.
I took Slymenstra's uhh.....mess....straight in the chest from about 4 feet. Dunno what was powering the flow but it almost knocked my on my butt...and I'm stout. Once was enough, it kinda sticks with you.......

Glad you caught that one ;) Ugly Betty indeed. Though i do see Sweet, Sweet Betty in there somewhere... Time will tell.

The spine is an actual Chiropractors spine mounted to a leather strap, which is glued to the tank. the ribs are wood, steamed and bent to match the curve of the tank, glued on.

So basically, i think i'm going chop the rear end, drop the springs, throw on my new solo seat and ride it as is until i an find a xj750 tank, then it'll get cleaned up

Back
Top Bottom